Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

esimhs99

Jan 6, 2003, 1:53 AM
Post #1 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

being girly
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

how girly are you? and what do you do to make yourself more girly (if you even do anything)?

i dont do much, but sometimes i feel that i should, and i hate that! anyone else feel the same way?

eowyn1025

Jan 6, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #2 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

being girly [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how do i make myself more girly?? hmm...i dunno, i like dressing formal anytime i can..went formal to a broadway show. this may sound kind of wierd but a lot of times my "girliness" depends on how guys treat me...if they treat me like one of the guys, i tend to act that way, if they open doors for me, pull my chair out in restaraunts for me, and treat me like a lady then i act like a lady. i know what you mean about feeling you should do something to make yourself more girly...

katydid

Jan 6, 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #3 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ain't girly. I will "girly up" when required (like my husband's office Christmas party), but outside of that, I am a serious tomboy.

Except that I haven't figured out how to belch on cue, or make farts with my armpit. But I'll get there.

Kate

bitterlotus

Jan 6, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #4 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

<---- I'm a professed 'girly' girl!!

There's definitely an image of female rock climbers (and female athletes in general) as kinda butch but who says you can't do things like climb (and climb hard) AND look feminine off the rocks too?

whitenight

Jan 6, 2003, 8:34 PM
Post #5 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really try to be girly...I just am who I am. I have a friend who will wear a pink hat when she snowboards, so that people won't think she is a boy. I don't care. A few months ago my roommate and I walked in ACS's Making Strides walk for breast cancer. We wore pink ribbons in our hair, just for the cause. Right after the walk we went to the gym to climb. I had one male, he was probably in his 40s, tell me that pink ribbons don't go with climbing, it's too girly. I was suprised and then remembered my ribbons were still in my hair and laughed it off. I wish I had a good come back at the time. I am not ashamed to be a GIRL!!!! I hope some little girl beats that guy's son in their next comp!

[ This Message was edited by: whitenight on 2003-01-06 12:35 ]

indigo_nite

Jan 6, 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #6 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like contrasts. when climbing, i like feeling true to my tomboy side. i don't mind getting a little dirty while camping (but still like showers).

off the rock, i like wearing feminine things or painting my toenails. sometimes it's refreshing not to be so boyly (not boily). womens' mags/ads sell this sexual image of what's attractive and I'm less driven by that pressure (or try to be) than just needing variety in self-expression.

mwbtle

Jan 7, 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #7 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to pretend I'm not girly. And usually I manage to convince most people that I'm not. But... I have sheets with lace edging. There, I said it.
Ok, so I hate pink, like really hate pink, and I only wear skirts rarely, and I burp in public. But really, I'm a girl underneath. I like wearing fancy dresses and getting dolled up. I just hide it well.

farasnyl10

Jan 7, 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #8 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

being 'girly'---
i wish the first thing that i think of when i hear this word is that i AM girly and proud of it, but all that comes to mind is all the negative connotations of prissiness, being wimpy, and spending more time on putting on clothes, and doing hair and make-up than i do actual do thinking about what i'm going to do in them...
it kind of bothers me that i don't want to be considered 'girly'...sure, that stuff may not be my style, or how i choose to spend my time, but is my denial of my girliness a reaffirmation that men are somehow superior?
i think i'm probably just being overly picky about this, but i just started to type my reply, and the first thing i started to think was that, 'ugh! definately NOT girly...'-and that bothered me, since i AM a female, girl, woman, whatever... maybe i'll just change it to: NOt girly, but definately WOMANLY

[ This Message was edited by: farasnyl10 on 2003-01-06 16:22 ]

iamthewallress

Jan 7, 2003, 2:14 AM
Post #9 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

'Being girly' when climbing to me means taking pride in the fact that 'femininity' and toughness are not mutually exclusive. Even when I am climbing solo I do certain things that might be considered 'girly' because that is how I am, who I am, and what makes me feel good.

alpinelynx

Jan 7, 2003, 5:08 AM
Post #10 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bein' girly? don't know about that. I like being a woman though, definitly. I don't know what it is about it I enjoy though. I like to put a dress on and wear lipstick (no other makeup though), but I think I like the feeling of being a woman and the energy. I draw the line at thong underwear, thank you very much. Then again, I like getting dirty and feel like if I'm not bleeding at the end of the day climbing, I got short changed!

bitterlotus

Jan 7, 2003, 4:17 PM
Post #11 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was just thinking about this post this morning while walking to work. There I was, shoes and harness and chalkbag slung over one shoulder and my LE Fendi bag (with pink accents and Swaroski crystals, no less!!) swung over the other shoulder... I LOVE the dichotomy!!!

GIRLS RULE!!

leahmeryl

Jan 7, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #12 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel better about myself when I get girly. I guess to me girly means taking care of myself in special ways - like bikini waxes and pedicures (gave up on manicures once I started climbing). I do little things - like wear girl-sized tee shirts instead of big baggy ones and have a pastel chalk bag. Also, I usually put on just a little bit of makeup before working out - not much, just eye shadow and liner and clear lip moisturizer. It makes me feel pretty and gives me an extra bit of confidence when I'm in room filled with panting, sweaty, shirtless men (I mean the rock gym).

rockwomyn

Jan 7, 2003, 9:40 PM
Post #13 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually love the fact that I have the balance and versatlity of being a woman.

i mean i am clothes, shoes and jewelry whore...i wear (minimal) make-up & stuff that makes me smell yummy, paint my nails and do other things that make me "girly"....but on the other i hand i can belch, fart, go without a shower for days, $#!& in a hole if need be and relish the dirt that is permantly under my nails and beam proudly at each new bruise or cut i obtain during the climbing season.

it's wonderful to be able to pull off expressing yourself at both ends of the spectrum.

Chicks Rock!!!!!!!!

lilred

Jan 8, 2003, 6:28 PM
Post #14 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

100% tom boy thru and thru!!!!!

WOO HOOOO!!!!

leahmeryl

Jan 8, 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #15 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weird how so many of us (me included) described our girlyness based on physical appearance stuff (clothes, makeup, etc).
I do other types of girly things besides pampering -- I sew and read ridiculous romance novels. And when I was with my ex, every so often I'd throw on a skirt and high heels and pamper him like I was a 50s housewife - bringing him a drink, propping his feet up, and cooking dinner. Sounds like a step backwards, I know, but it paid off once the lights went off

iamthewallress

Jan 9, 2003, 2:04 AM
Post #16 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Non-appearance-related but climbing-related girly things I do...

...high step near my shoulders.

...make tips cracks into solid finger locks.

...accept a chivalrous offer to have part of my junk carried for me.

...decline a chivalrous offer to have part of my junk carried for me. (Guess it depends on how girly vs. womanly I feel.)

...cry whenever I top out on a big wall.

...cry again when I look back up from the base.

kcrag

Jan 9, 2003, 6:17 AM
Post #17 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, it's all in the underwear. There's nothing like being dressed to kill in 4 layers of clothing, carrying 2 sharp tools, complete with plastic boots and crampons that could knock out a chihuahua in one swift kick... AND have on a nice pair of bikini undies (cotton, of course).

I just read Lene Gammelgaard's book "Climbing High" (her account of the '96 Everest tragedy). She makes a comment of packing a pair of 'bottle green' lacy undies, the one thing she can privately wear to remind her of her femininity during her 2 month long sufferfest. Of course, in the reviews, some people slam her for this comment, but I'd agree with her wholeheartedly. Gotta love feeling like a woman in any way that you can.

Other than that, I paint my nails maybe once a year just for kicks. I'd have to agree with leah and wallress in that femininity is often best expressed through action (get yer minds out of the gutter, guys!).

As for female climbers being considered 'butch'... no way! We're sexy as all get-out.

-k.

[ This Message was edited by: kcrag on 2003-01-09 07:35 ]

farasnyl10

Jan 9, 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #18 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well said wallress amd kcrag!!!

iamthewallress

Jan 9, 2003, 5:55 PM
Post #19 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone else in a fit of folly paint their nails, go climb, and end up with the grosses looking hands ever? And then forget to take the chipped polish off until it wears away on its own?

Toe-nail polish, on the other hand, is an aesthetic necessity for me after what climbing shoes (and a lot of years of ballet) have done to the piggies.

Another part of the appearance dichotomy that I always get a kick out of is sitting in some monday morning meeting wearing some sensible yet feminine business clothes and then checking out the look on my rather conservative 60 year old bosses' faces when I plop my gobi-ridden, hang-nail and oxide-covered paws on the table.

rockwomyn

Jan 9, 2003, 6:05 PM
Post #20 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am looking at my nails right now...just wondering when i will take it off. I guess nail polish is made with the woman in mind that never does a damn thing but sit around eating bon-bons looking pretty.

let's invent some industrial strength paint that won't chip during climbing.

sadly enough i have not been climbing since october, but aside from the paint chipping on my nails my hands look better than ever. during the climbing season they usually look pretty weathered....especially the hang nails...OUCH!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: rockwomyn on 2003-01-09 10:08 ]

alpinelynx

Jan 9, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #21 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, painting the toes is a must! My guy friends snigger and tell me that "We're just going climbing, you don't need to do that!" They don't get it! I used to be sad about not being able to have long sexy nails. I did paint them for a while and then climb. Actually nail polish on the nails kinda helped in a tips/fingerlock situation once! It does rip it up and then I'm too lazy to take it off so I just look trashy, which is fun too sometimes!

punk

Jan 9, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #22 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is all in your state of mind…u should be girly as much as u feel that u should
Frankly, it doesn’t matter what others think

sroehlk

Jan 9, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #23 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first got back into climbing, I would go home each night and give myself a manicure. God forbid I’d go into work the next day with a chipped nail! Well, that got old pretty quickly and now I’m proud of my calluses, cuts, and banged up cuticles. Although I do like to get a manicure every now and then. I know there’s not much point in doing it, but for one day my hands are somewhat pretty. And I always paint my toes, I think they look better with a bit of polish.

iamthewallress

Jan 9, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #24 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've come to find gnarled climbing hands a really beautiful thing...like the way a very wrinkled older person can have a beauty that stems from the character that it adds.

Earlier this year after my accident but before my knee surgery, I was laying in El Cap Meadow on my back and my boyfriend way 'bicycling' my leg for me as part of my rehab. This friend of his who is a long time local strolled up and crouched down to talk to us. From my positon on my back I could really check out her battered hands from just a few inches away. They were really amazing. Where skin had once been was now a chapped red pad of scar tissue. I couldn't look at her hands and not envy the life that she must have led to make them look that way. To me those rough scars on her small and otherwise delicate hands told a beautiful story of feminine strength to me.

A month later, from the surgery couch, my own body had finished molting. I had the softest hands and feet that I've had since I was baby. And it made me so sad. I would have felt better about my appearance if surgery had caused me to gain 10 lbs!

I went climbing outside for the first time since surgery last weekend. The rough cracks at Pat and Jack left many a boo-boo on the back of my hands. It's twisted, but I'm so psyched that they are back. From a practical standpoint, I know that it's part of getting my body back in 'climbing shape.' But from this purely vein standpoint, I like looking down and seeing them there and knowing that I am climbing again.

valygrl

Jan 9, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #25 of 37 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not very girly in general, but I like wearing girly climbing clothes - spaghetti strap tops and short shorts. No baggies for me!

Before I climbed i used to have loooong nails. I loved them. I haven't had them for years, and now that I can't climb, they are growing back, and they just give me the creeps!

kcrag, haven't you heard? "Cotton Kills" (silk, on the other hand....) hahaha!

iamthewallress, i am JEALOUS!!!! I know what you mean, my hands are so girly-smooth right now. Yuck. I only have callouses in the space between my first finger and thumb, from grabbing the thera-bands...

Anna
(SO sick of counting to 10, but I'd better go do that now...)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook