Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

firemed6

Oct 31, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #51 of 60 (2303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnny2plat] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Or you can just tie knots in the ends of the rope and not go rapping off the end of your rope.

johnny2plat

Oct 31, 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #52 of 60 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [firemed6] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point. You need to mark your middle AND tie knots in the ends of the rope. We lose a couple climbers every year in rappelling accidents. Some of these could have been prevented by tying simple stopper knots in the ends of the ropes. A stopper knot is like tying the first half of a double fisherman's knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/...ww.animatedknots.com

billcoe_

Oct 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #53 of 60 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [firemed6] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

firemed6 wrote:
Or you can just tie knots in the ends of the rope and not go rapping off the end of your rope.

Just tie the knot in the middle, then you will always find it quickly, even in the dark.

marc801

Oct 31, 2011, 11:14 PM
Post #54 of 60 (2245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would think that after over 2 years, the OP has probably found something that works. Or he screwed up and his battered body at the base of some obscure cliff has been eaten by scavengers.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 1, 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #55 of 60 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SendMasterJack] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SendMasterJack wrote:
I'm sure this topic has been covered, but I will ask for some advice anyhow. I have a mammut dynamic rope, and the middle of the rope is marked but not very obvious. I was wondering what would be a safe non corrosive way to mark the middle of the rope to save myself some time up yonder.

I just use a small piece of sport tape. Makes it easy for the belay to recognize as it passes through the ATC, as they can feel it, then they can yell up "half way".

Also good for if I have to cut 6-8 feet off of one end due to wear, as just remove old and add a new piece of tape at new middle.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Nov 1, 2011, 10:55 AM)

jae8908

Nov 1, 2011, 3:22 PM
Post #56 of 60 (2186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:
I'm sure this topic has been covered, but I will ask for some advice anyhow. I have a mammut dynamic rope, and the middle of the rope is marked but not very obvious. I was wondering what would be a safe non corrosive way to mark the middle of the rope to save myself some time up yonder.

I just use a small piece of sport tape. Makes it easy for the belay to recognize as it passes through the ATC, as they can feel it, then they can yell up "half way".

Also good for if I have to cut 6-8 feet off of one end due to wear, as just remove old and add a new piece of tape at new middle.

Apparently you didn't read the thread huh?:bash

naitch

Nov 1, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #57 of 60 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just do it the "green" way and get some sap from the nearest pine tree and rub about a 3-6" section at the mid-point. You be able to feel when it feeds through your hand. And, after a short time, you be able to both see and feel the grit that it's picked up. Looks almost like a faded Avery marked rope.

marc801

Nov 1, 2011, 9:26 PM
Post #58 of 60 (2137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jae8908 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:

I'd say obviously, since he's replying to SendMasterJack as if it were written yesterday instead of in April of 2009.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 2, 2011, 7:51 PM
Post #59 of 60 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
jae8908 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:

I'd say obviously, since he's replying to SendMasterJack as if it were written yesterday instead of in April of 2009.

No, I didn't read all 3 pages... I saw the title, as it was on the forum index page, meaning it was the thread with the most recent reply, clicked on it, read the OP text not the date (honestly, how often does anybody read the date?), and replied.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Nov 2, 2011, 7:54 PM)

marc801

Nov 2, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #60 of 60 (2067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Marking Middle Of Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Which is why we get so many zombie threads here, resurrected from the dead.

Sometimes it makes sense, as when the new reply has current relevance. But when the new reply is answering the OP question as if it had just been posted, that's kinda lame, especially when the question had some degree of time sensitivity.

At least in your case you were replying as a result of someone else bumping the thread to the main page by answering a two year old question.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook