Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Crash Pads in/for Ko Tao
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jackmarr

Dec 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #1 of 6 (4335 views)
Shortcut

Crash Pads in/for Ko Tao  (Asia: Thailand)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all--

We are planning on spending a month and a half in Thailand again this winter, mostly in Railay and perhaps up to Chiang Mai but I would really like to spend a few days or a week exploring the boulders of Ko Tao. Does anyone know if crash pads are rentable and if so how much? I saw one price on the Good Time Adventures website but was a bit absurd of a price I think. Also how necessary are they? Are there a lot of good lowballs/traverses with nice landings? Do you need a spotter or can you solo them? If anyone else is interested in visiting between Jan-Mid Feb let me know! Thanks Jack

rtwilli4

Dec 2, 2011, 3:26 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jackmarr] Crash Pads in/for Ko Tao [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The price on their website (300THB or about $10) doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Crash pads are expensive and hard to get on an island in southern Thailand, and will wear out fast if being rented every day. Maybe you could ask them for a weekly price?

I've bouldered there a little and it's nice, but are you really going to fly across the world to boulder on granite in 90 degree heat in the jungle?

Go explore the towers of the Andaman Sea, go do the biggest tower in Thailand in Lopburi, or hit up the climbing in Laos, which is some of the best of SE Asia. Or head down to Bukit Keteri in Malaysia. Only a few hours south of Krabi Town and it is AMAZING!

jackmarr

Dec 3, 2011, 2:38 AM
Post #3 of 6 (4300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Crash Pads in/for Ko Tao [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps especially if a weekly price. Do you know if they are large pads? I was more thinking that renting two or three/day, if you needed that many, would sort of decrease the attractiveness.

We have climbed in that region quite quite a bit and will be based in Railay, so was actually looking for a break from the karst (we get a lot of it in Yangshuo as well!) Also we are travelling with a 2 1.2 year old so this limits our mobility a bit.

Agree though the seaside karsts are pretty hard to beat for all around tropical paradise climbing (as long as the bolts are solid!)

rtwilli4

Dec 3, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #4 of 6 (4287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, it's always nice to do something different.

There wasn't a climbing shop there when I went. It was hard as he'll to find any topos or anything. But I sort of know the people running the shop now and they seemed cool when I met them. As you know, things usually work out for the best in Thailand. Have fun... PM me if you want to know about any out of the way places in the south.

jackmarr

Dec 6, 2011, 9:30 PM
Post #5 of 6 (4240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Crash Pads in/for Ko Tao [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I am crap at bouldering but can always have aspirations. On a stranger note, I met James, the zengecko guy who developed a lot of the problems on Ko Tao when climbing some trad routes in Devil's Lake, Wisconsin. He was hanging out with his brother.

Not sure how far afield we will go from the comfy confines of Railay and Tonsai-- depends on our man-- but thanks for the offer. Sounds like there are some interesting projects down south. I also made a pilgrimage to KL in January during Thaipusam at Bhatu caves. Looked like fun routes but the millions of devoted kept us off. Definitely worth a look.
In reply to:

rtwilli4

Dec 6, 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (4232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never been to batu. Bukit keteri is where it's at in Malaysia. It's about 30 km south of the border w Thailand.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook