Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dr_feelgood

Jan 11, 2012, 4:44 AM
Post #26 of 53 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Red-Flag] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jesus fucking christ learn to spell.

Red-Flag

Jan 11, 2012, 6:03 AM
Post #27 of 53 (3639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

Christ is capitalized ass hat. Learn the difference between common nouns and proper nouns.

(This post was edited by Red-Flag on Jan 11, 2012, 6:04 AM)

dr_feelgood

Jan 11, 2012, 1:10 PM
Post #28 of 53 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Red-Flag] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Red-Flag wrote:
Christ is capitalized ass hat. Learn the difference between common nouns and proper nouns.
Maybe in your religion. You probably spell your deity G-D as well.

6pacfershur

Jan 11, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #29 of 53 (3522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

half the people on this forum seem to be retired rocket scientists, half seem to be unemployed, OCD language arts teachers and half aint good et math er englich....

tH1e-swiN1e

Jan 11, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #30 of 53 (3505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red-Flag wrote:
meatbomz wrote:
So this guy has been developing this area for 15 years on his own dime and you just walk in and start throwing up squeeze jobs on his lines and then talking shit about him on the internet? Would it have hurt your ego that much to follow even one piece of his advice, just to get things off on the right foot? For instance, wouldn't it make sense to say to him "hey, I'm willing to compromise - let's have this route I put up on the main cliff share your anchor." You are the one that started this situation so it's on you to de-escalate it.
It seems there is some confusion in my past involvement, so let me clear that up. I have also been developing the area for the last four years. In fact, I have been developing the area far more than he has in the last four years. I am at the crag more than any single person, everyone that climbs at the crag knows who I am, I have been climbing there 5x a week since late 2007. This is just the first time I am adding NEW] routes. I have replaced hundreds of bolts on old routes. I have been climbing over ten years, I have climbed a number of routes on El Cap, I have climbed at over 75 different destinations in the world, I am not some new gumbie with a hammer drill. We are both experienced in bolting routes in the area.

And I did try to compromise with him. He thought one of my routes had too much loose rock at the top. So I ended the route before the loose rock and I cleaned all the choss off the top. He wanted me to use the bolts he uses. So I agreed. He wanted me to glue reinforce holds instead of break them off, so I said okay. But its just one thing after another. I give an inch and he wants a mile, he wants the routes to be developed under his exact specification, as if I worked for him and he was paying me to develop routes or something.

Adding new routes IS developing. Replacing worn hardware is just up-keep.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 12, 2012, 6:06 AM
Post #31 of 53 (3447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red-Flag wrote:
It seems there is some confusion in my past involvement, so let me clear that up. I have also been developing the area for the last four years. In fact, I have been developing the area far more than he has in the last four years. I am at the crag more than any single person, everyone that climbs at the crag knows who I am, I have been climbing there 5x a week since late 2007. This is just the first time I am adding NEW] routes. I have replaced hundreds of bolts on old routes. I have been climbing over ten years, I have climbed a number of routes on El Cap, I have climbed at over 75 different destinations in the world, I am not some new gumbie with a hammer drill. We are both experienced in bolting routes in the area.

Probably the Gumby with a Kit concept came from when you wrote:

In reply to:
About four years ago I moved to the area and started climbing.

blueeyedclimber

Jan 12, 2012, 1:14 PM
Post #32 of 53 (3411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

That's irrelevant. Whether or not you believe in Santa Claus, it's still a proper noun and you capitalize his ass!

Cool

Josh

dr_feelgood

Jan 12, 2012, 5:18 PM
Post #33 of 53 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

That's irrelevant. Whether or not you believe in Santa Claus, it's still a proper noun and you capitalize his ass!

Cool

Josh
Regardless, my point is that if you expect people to take you seriously, your ideas must be clear and your arguments cogent.

ubu

Jan 12, 2012, 6:23 PM
Post #34 of 53 (3346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

Cool

Josh

Not necessarily..."christ" is just fine as an uncapitalized adjective.

wonderwoman

Jan 12, 2012, 6:25 PM
Post #35 of 53 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

Cool

Josh

Please use christ as an adjective in a sentence.

ubu

Jan 12, 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #36 of 53 (3339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

Cool

"Jesus christ". An adjective does not need to come before a noun to modify it.

Josh

wonderwoman

Jan 12, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #37 of 53 (3332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

Cool

Josh

Maybe you quoted me because you wanted to make me look silly or something, but now I seriously want to know because all I can find is this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/christ

So, how can you use it in a sentence as an adjective without adding -like or -ly (where it is still capitalized)?

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Jan 12, 2012, 6:44 PM)

ubu

Jan 12, 2012, 6:58 PM
Post #38 of 53 (3318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

Cool

Josh

Maybe you quoted me because you wanted to make me look silly or something, but now I seriously want to know because all I can find is this:

So, how can you use it in a sentence as an adjective without adding -like or -ly (where it is still capitalized)?

You're probably right, but I still see no reason why "christ" has to be capitalized since it's not necessarily a proper noun or name, just a description. Joe is a janitor, but we (or at least I) wouldn't say "Joe the Janitor"...just "Joe the janitor".

(p.s. not sure what happened with the cheesetitted quote, but if that was my fault it wasn't intentional...I'll go back and fix it

edit: weird, I had responded to your last post but my text was somehow lost, making it look like I was just quoting for posterity...sorry about that.)

(This post was edited by ubu on Jan 12, 2012, 7:00 PM)

wonderwoman

Jan 12, 2012, 7:06 PM
Post #39 of 53 (3313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

Cool

Josh

You're probably right, but I still see no reason why "christ" has to be capitalized since it's not necessarily a proper noun or name, just a description. Joe is a janitor, but we (or at least I) wouldn't say "Joe the Janitor"...just "Joe the janitor".

(p.s. not sure what happened with the cheesetitted quote, but if that was my fault it wasn't intentional...I'll go back and fix it

edit: weird, I had responded to your last post but my text was somehow lost, making it look like I was just quoting for posterity...sorry about that.)

No biggie. I was just curious. I still follow Merriam-Webster's guidance on capitalization. Except for in internet forums where pretty much everything is absurd, anyway!

josiahdood

Jan 12, 2012, 7:28 PM
Post #40 of 53 (3294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

From reading the OP, it sort of sounds like you're putting up new routes just for the sake of "putting up new routes."

Why would you want to bolt a potentially chossy line or squeeze job? If all the plums have been picked, then why not enjoy them. Bolts leading up an unaesthetic chossy face that most people besides yourself will never climb - seems wrong.

blueeyedclimber

Jan 12, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #41 of 53 (3287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ubu wrote:

Christ refers to a single person. It is not a job. There are lots of janitors, but only one Christ. Whether you believe he existed or not, whether you follow his teachings or not, there is still only one Christ, Jesus Christ. There is no Joe Christ. It is not the same as saying "My religion has many gods (which is NOT capitalized)."

Nice try, though.Tongue

Josh

ubu

Jan 12, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #42 of 53 (3281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
ubu wrote:

Christ refers to a single person. It is not a job. There are lots of janitors, but only one Christ. Whether you believe he existed or not, whether you follow his teachings or not, there is still only one Christ, Jesus Christ. There is no Joe Christ. It is not the same as saying "My religion has many gods (which is NOT capitalized)."

Nice try, though.Tongue

Josh

No. Christ *can* refer to a single person, and typically does if you are Christian, but broadly speaking there can be more than one savior.

ubu

Jan 12, 2012, 7:56 PM
Post #43 of 53 (3277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
ubu wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Red-Flag wrote:

Cool

Josh

No biggie. I was just curious. I still follow Merriam-Webster's guidance on capitalization. Except for in internet forums where pretty much everything is absurd, anyway!

Fair enough. The important thing is that this thread has been successfully hijacked for didactic bullshit.

csproul

Jan 12, 2012, 8:00 PM
Post #44 of 53 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
ubu wrote:

Nice try, though.Tongue

Josh
I believe the word was originally a tittle, much like king or messiah. It is/was not the person's given name, but a tittle given to Jesus of Nazareth. So couldn't there in fact be many christs (much like the use of the word kings or gods)? Unless you are specifically taking about Christ Jesus it seems like the word (title) could be lower-case.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 12, 2012, 8:08 PM
Post #45 of 53 (3271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
...There is no Joe Christ...

Actually - Goggle says differently. See for yourself! There are quite a few Joe Christ's out there. But, as with Jesus Christ, the proper form is to use capitalization.

wonderwoman

Jan 12, 2012, 8:11 PM
Post #46 of 53 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
ubu wrote:

Nice try, though.Tongue

Josh

Growing up in my household, it was always JESUS CHRIST!!! All caps followed by an exclamation. So, we must all be wrong.

Partner j_ung

Jan 12, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #47 of 53 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder what Joe the christ has to say about it.

jt512

Jan 12, 2012, 9:13 PM
Post #48 of 53 (3243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Red-Flag wrote:

Christ is a capitalized ass hat. Learn to use articles properly.

Jay

jt512

Jan 12, 2012, 9:19 PM
Post #49 of 53 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Christ refers to a single person.

More likely, zero persons.

Jay

chadnsc

Jan 12, 2012, 9:41 PM
Post #50 of 53 (3225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
plenty of non-Valley has-beens on this site. can one be a noob and a has-been simultaniously?

You seem to do so quite well so, yes.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook