Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Jan 18, 2012, 7:56 PM
Post #26 of 45 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shellc0de] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shellc0de wrote:
Lol I remember walking into the gym with about 8 quickdraws not knowing they were already in the wall, but then it made sense, why would they ever take them off...

Cliffhangers in Reading PA requires that you use your own draws. I made the mistake of leading a climb on someone else's draws. I thought they belonged to the gym. Who knew?

rgbscan

Jan 18, 2012, 8:01 PM
Post #27 of 45 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
rgbscan wrote:
I'd add doing "laps" on routes to the annoying list. At least it annoys me. I tend to climb on plastic at the gym/fitness club. A lot of people there take the sets/reps mentality to the wall where they climb and down climb a route 3 times (I guess thats 3 reps on the wall?), move to another route - do the same thing - then move back to the original climb. Irritates me to no end while the rest of us have to wait in line for the limited amount of routes.

Ummm...I do laps all the time. I always do lead lap set of three. I lead a climb, pull the rope, lead again, pull the rope and do it one more time. No rests between pulls, just trying to get 75+ feet of climbing so that it better reflects fitness level needed for an outdoor climb. Once a week I tie up a top rope for 30-45 minutes while I ARC!

It's situational I guess. I'd agree that downclimbing is good for building footwork and strength At the lifetime fitness in plymouth, mn there are only a handful of TR routes. I usually go down to VE in Saint Paul or Minneapolis to climb but on certain nights of the week I have to be in Plymouth for the night with no ability to leave. Lines form at each route. In the past you'd go you up, you'd come down and you'd go get in line for the next route. Everyone got to climb. The new thing is to downclimb - but not all the way and to start climbing back up.

I get it that the walls are short. 25ft I think. But man does it back up the lines and deny some people the opportunity to climb. Thats what annoys me.

Now if you were doing this on a slow day with no crowd, then sure - the actual act of doing laps isn't annoying, its just the lack of consideration for other climbers that bugs me.

shockabuku

Jan 19, 2012, 1:44 PM
Post #28 of 45 (2871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
shellc0de wrote:
Lol I remember walking into the gym with about 8 quickdraws not knowing they were already in the wall, but then it made sense, why would they ever take them off...

Cliffhangers in Reading PA requires that you use your own draws. I made the mistake of leading a climb on someone else's draws. I thought they belonged to the gym. Who knew?

Climbed there a few times. That is, without doubt, the most ... unique, yeah, that's a good word, gym I've ever visited.

johnwesely

Jan 19, 2012, 2:33 PM
Post #29 of 45 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgbscan] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

rgbscan wrote:
gblauer wrote:
rgbscan wrote:
I'd add doing "laps" on routes to the annoying list. At least it annoys me. I tend to climb on plastic at the gym/fitness club. A lot of people there take the sets/reps mentality to the wall where they climb and down climb a route 3 times (I guess thats 3 reps on the wall?), move to another route - do the same thing - then move back to the original climb. Irritates me to no end while the rest of us have to wait in line for the limited amount of routes.

Ummm...I do laps all the time. I always do lead lap set of three. I lead a climb, pull the rope, lead again, pull the rope and do it one more time. No rests between pulls, just trying to get 75+ feet of climbing so that it better reflects fitness level needed for an outdoor climb. Once a week I tie up a top rope for 30-45 minutes while I ARC!

It's situational I guess. I'd agree that downclimbing is good for building footwork and strength At the lifetime fitness in plymouth, mn there are only a handful of TR routes. I usually go down to VE in Saint Paul or Minneapolis to climb but on certain nights of the week I have to be in Plymouth for the night with no ability to leave. Lines form at each route. In the past you'd go you up, you'd come down and you'd go get in line for the next route. Everyone got to climb. The new thing is to downclimb - but not all the way and to start climbing back up.

I get it that the walls are short. 25ft I think. But man does it back up the lines and deny some people the opportunity to climb. Thats what annoys me.

Now if you were doing this on a slow day with no crowd, then sure - the actual act of doing laps isn't annoying, its just the lack of consideration for other climbers that bugs me.

People who are doing structured training trump those who are just climbing. For the people doing structured training, it matters that they don't break between goes. For everyone else, it doesn't.

SylviaSmile

Jan 19, 2012, 3:24 PM
Post #30 of 45 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
rgbscan wrote:
gblauer wrote:
rgbscan wrote:

People who are doing structured training trump those who are just climbing. For the people doing structured training, it matters that they don't break between goes. For everyone else, it doesn't.

If you are that serious about training without breaks, build a home gym. For gyms that you pay for, everyone who pays should get an equal opportunity to use the equipment.

lena_chita

Jan 19, 2012, 3:34 PM
Post #31 of 45 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
rgbscan wrote:
gblauer wrote:
rgbscan wrote:

If you are that serious about training without breaks, build a home gym. For gyms that you pay for, everyone who pays should get an equal opportunity to use the equipment.

So, you have an equal opportunity to do three laps in a row when it is your turn. If you choose not to, nobody denied you the opportunity...

It's a bit of a ridiculous conversation, because most people I know are cognizant of their environment and considerate of other people, so they would not do 45 minutes of ARC laps on the only moderate route in a small gym at peak hour.

But 3 climbs up and down on 25 foot walls? Come on, I know people who would take longer to tie in and put on their shoes than it would take someone doing laps to do 3 laps like that.

donwanadi

Jan 19, 2012, 4:07 PM
Post #32 of 45 (2824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt someone who has a route wired takes very long to do 3 laps at the gym.

Who waits for specific climbs at a gym anyway?

lena_chita

Jan 19, 2012, 5:09 PM
Post #33 of 45 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
I doubt someone who has a route wired takes very long to do 3 laps at the gym.

This is exactly what I said, but you are replying to me as if you are arguing with me about this? Not sure if I read this correctly.

donwanadi wrote:
Who waits for specific climbs at a gym anyway?

Someone who wants to get on those specific climbs, obviously! Haven't you ever worked on a specific route in a gym?

donwanadi

Jan 19, 2012, 5:29 PM
Post #34 of 45 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hit the closest reply button I saw. I did not mean to reply to you specifically.

Of course, there are usually several climbs I'm working on. I just can't imagine standing around waiting for it. I'd just climb something else until it was free.

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Jan 19, 2012, 5:33 PM)

Greggle

Jan 19, 2012, 6:16 PM
Post #35 of 45 (2797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
I just can't imagine standing around waiting for it. I'd just climb something else until it was free.

You have that luxury.

The "gym" where I climb is at my university. It is often packed with newberts who amble by on the way to their first—and only—visit to the facility and think, "Hey, gang, that looks neato! Let's try it!" Those doing laps add to that congestion.

Fortunately, there is really only one person who does laps these days. Unfortunately, this person is a friend of mine and will easily bang out 200', climb–downclimb. What can ya' do?

gosharks

Jan 19, 2012, 9:43 PM
Post #36 of 45 (2751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgbscan] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgbscan wrote:
I've done gym boulder problems that are longer than 25ft. When the walls are that short, you need to be doing more than one.

Anyways, somebody who is doing laps is still probably taking less time than somebody who is hanging the entire way up, which is often the case.

caughtinside

Jan 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #37 of 45 (2723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Not paying attention to where your route goes and putting someone else, who was there first, on another intersecting route in a bad position because of it.

hah. I still do this some times.

snoopy138

Jan 20, 2012, 1:38 AM
Post #38 of 45 (2704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
Not paying attention to where your route goes and putting someone else, who was there first, on another intersecting route in a bad position because of it.

yes, well, you are a well-known douche.

caughtinside

Jan 20, 2012, 1:40 AM
Post #39 of 45 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

yes, well, you are a well-known douche.

I blame the gym route developer.

Partner j_ung

Jan 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #40 of 45 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

j_ung wrote:
...a lot of new climbers somehow get the notion that there's a code of etiquette to climbing other than common consideration and politeness.

johnwesely

Jan 20, 2012, 2:16 PM
Post #41 of 45 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

j_ung wrote:
...a lot of new climbers somehow get the notion that there's a code of etiquette to climbing other than common consideration and politeness.

What I am talking about certainly should be done in a polite way and never abused, but it matters far less to person who is just climbing randomly to wait a few extra minutes or seconds for a climb than someone who is doing something structured. I know it sounds bad when I say it on the internet, but it is not like I advocate someone ARCing for 30 minutes on one of three routes in the gym on the busiest night of the week.

thatclimberguy

Jan 20, 2012, 3:02 PM
Post #42 of 45 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scdance] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is more regarding safety. Don't act like you know how to do something if you don't or are unsure. All climbers know how important safety is, and most are more than willing to help if you just ASK.

Ask: Is it ok to climb this route with him climbing next to me? Is my harness/belay device/knot set up correctly? What do i say if i want to take a break? Do i look stupid with all of this extra gear on my harness while gym climbing? Answer: yes!

But really, Just keep yourself safe, and others around you safe, try not to look too much like a gumby, but don't act like you aren't. And if you do all of that you'll have a great time climbing, and gain many close friends that you can say trust you with their lives, which is pretty awesome.

Partner j_ung

Jan 20, 2012, 8:26 PM
Post #43 of 45 (2596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

j_ung wrote:

What I am talking about certainly should be done in a polite way and never abused, but it matters far less to person who is just climbing randomly to wait a few extra minutes or seconds for a climb than someone who is doing something structured. I know it sounds bad when I say it on the internet, but it is not like I advocate someone ARCing for 30 minutes on one of three routes in the gym on the busiest night of the week.

If by polite way, you mean ask if they mind and limit your burns if they do, then I agree. If you mean ask politely but do whatever you want despite the answer, I don't.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jan 20, 2012, 8:28 PM)

johnwesely

Jan 20, 2012, 8:46 PM
Post #44 of 45 (2588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Beginning Mistakes, Gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

j_ung wrote:

If by polite way, you mean ask if they mind and limit your burns if they do, then I agree. If you mean ask politely but do whatever you want despite the answer, I don't.

I mean the one of the two that is actually polite.

Partner j_ung

Jan 20, 2012, 8:50 PM
Post #45 of 45 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

j_ung wrote:

I mean the one of the two that is actually polite.

Groovy. Ya never can tell these days.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook