RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

dave76

Jan 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2550 views)
Shortcut

mild discomfort around medial epicondyle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi all,
I am a 5.10 climber and have climbed continuously for the last year and a half, after a few years of on-and-off climbing.
Last year I managed to get back to the level (5.10a) I was at in 2006, and I am now sending some 5.10d routes I am now back at my top

Recently, I've starting doing some fingerboard training (metolius 10-second program) on the days I do not climb.

However, I am afraid I went through it too hard, or possibly without proper warmup, as I started having some mild discomfort around the medial epicondyle (that of golfer's elbow).

I don't really have pain, but I had some mild discomfort after my second fingerboard session last sunday, and then today after a pretty intense climbing session.

Do you guys think it's golfer's elbow or is it just being tired? Anyone had these symptoms?

Obviously I am going to see my physician ASAP (monday probably) but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask here.

rhei

Jan 20, 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dave76] mild discomfort around medial epicondyle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do a search on treating medial epicondylitis. There's been extensive discussion of it in this forum.

Here's one oft cited reference:
http://www.drjuliansaunders.com/...load_file/-/view/28/

The Metolius 10 minute program includes repeated pull ups. Consider eliminating those and focus on hanging (or maybe eliminate using a fingerboard altogether and work on preventative and recovery exercises for the forearm.) If you are going to continue with a hangboard, be careful not to fully extend so that your elbows lock. Maintain some tension throughout the hang, as if initiating a pull up.

dave76

Jan 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhei] mild discomfort around medial epicondyle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
ME was really what was worrying me. However, the pain subsided by itself the day after I posted. I saw my doctor anyway and it looks like it was just some benign pain, possibly resulting from improper warm up.

As for the 10-min program, I don't get why you suggest to eliminate pull ups. I thought ME was caused by excessive gripping.

thanks

Davide

rhei

Jan 21, 2012, 5:47 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dave76] mild discomfort around medial epicondyle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My comment regarding pull-ups comes from personal experience and the anecdotal experiences of other climbers I know. My suspicion is that the wrist muscles can be flexed or stressed in the pull-up motion,depending on how much swing at the wrist you permit, especially as you get tired. If there's more to it, perhaps one of the PT's who visit this site can chime in.

Glad you're feeling better.

(This post was edited by rhei on Jan 21, 2012, 5:48 AM)

dave76

Jan 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhei] mild discomfort around medial epicondyle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting point. Probably, in this respect, it is good that I am using suspended rock rings and not a real fingerboard. Or is that worse?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook