Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

socalclimber

Feb 21, 2012, 1:34 AM
Post #26 of 91 (6984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My favorite part was the "sonic" boom at the end!

tH1e-swiN1e

Feb 21, 2012, 2:38 AM
Post #27 of 91 (6962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hope that someone started a slow clap after that.

jakedatc

Feb 21, 2012, 3:27 AM
Post #28 of 91 (6954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
Lena_Chita...
You nailed it on the head. The anchors were not for this climb. Way too much slack on the climber, even though his side was taunt the climber side had too much slack. That girl flew into that desk. Ouch! My question who is Eric?

if you check the pics i posted earlier it is a seating area designed to catch stray noobs top roping without directionals :) it even has separate cubby holes for your head, arm, leg....

also the anchors could quite possibly be for that route, the roof is way overhanging at the top and is in what looks like a lead area. noobs being noobs is all.

notapplicable

Feb 21, 2012, 6:01 AM
Post #29 of 91 (6922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
Did anyone notice the bouldering fall in the related videos?

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Why in gods name where they spotting that freesoloist?

surfstar

Feb 21, 2012, 6:45 AM
Post #30 of 91 (6913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
What's dicked up is that the belayer and spectator saw that shit coming and just let it happen.

The spectator did some slow math in his head - looks at her, looks where the route goes, looks at the TR anchor, looks at her, looks at her swing potential and the landing, goes to tell the belayer something, but too late.

Partner cracklover

Feb 21, 2012, 9:53 PM
Post #31 of 91 (6790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:
Did anyone notice the bouldering fall in the related videos?

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Why in gods name where they spotting that freesoloist?

I don't know, but it looks like he saved her from death - no joke. Incredible.

GO

ynattirb

Feb 22, 2012, 2:50 AM
Post #32 of 91 (6730 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by ynattirb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

shockabuku

Feb 22, 2012, 2:58 AM
Post #33 of 91 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ynattirb] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ynattirb wrote:
Oh hello,

I'm Brittany in the video and to clear the air for all of you:

The climber, belayer and ect. had no idea this was going to happen.

The "spectator" was looking at it and thought everything was ok, until I actually hit then bench.. a.ka. why everyone was still smiling at the end.

The person who was filming said, "Eric,Are you okay".. Eric is actually my brother and she was saying in context, "ERIC, OH SHIT... then asking me if I was okay.

Yeah, it was stupid, but it was a great experience. The only reason it didn't work was because there was too much slack and I didn't climb high enough. They told me I could have stopped where I did, that's why I didn't go any higher, not because I can't do it.

BTW, just because I'm heavier doesn't mean I can't kick ass.

Glad to hear you're okay. How is it being a You Tube celebrity?

jakedatc

Feb 22, 2012, 3:51 AM
Post #34 of 91 (6698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ynattirb wrote:
Oh hello,

I'm Brittany in the video and to clear the air for all of you:

The climber, belayer and ect. had no idea this was going to happen.

The "spectator" was looking at it and thought everything was ok, until I actually hit then bench.. a.ka. why everyone was still smiling at the end.

The person who was filming said, "Eric,Are you okay".. Eric is actually my brother and she was saying in context, "ERIC, OH SHIT... then asking me if I was okay.

Yeah, it was stupid, but it was a great experience. The only reason it didn't work was because there was too much slack and I didn't climb high enough. They told me I could have stopped where I did, that's why I didn't go any higher, not because I can't do it.

hey glad you are ok.

What you said is not correct. When top roping an overhanging route you NEED to climb the side of the rope that has the protection, bolts or trad gear. This will prevent you from swinging out like you did. Outdoors there could be trees with sharp broken off branches that you could swing into and stab yourself badly (i've seen someone come damn close), big rocks whatever. it also makes it possible to get back on the route.

ynattirb

Feb 22, 2012, 4:08 AM
Post #35 of 91 (6687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Partner camhead

Feb 22, 2012, 4:27 AM
Post #36 of 91 (6675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ynattirb wrote:
Which is what I did. I climb for me and for no one else. For all of you who said I shouldn't have even been on the route.. F*&^ you, seriously, I can at least attempt and possibly succeed. I work hard just like you do.Mad

Though I can't climb a 5.12b to save my life, I can proudly say I can climb a 5.9 with grace and power.

Don't you all worry though, I'll be climbing a 5.12 in no time. Watcchh outt!

Wink

You are a total noob, but I like your attitude. Keep it up!

jakedatc

Feb 22, 2012, 4:32 AM
Post #37 of 91 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ynattirb wrote:
Yeah, I was aware of that, I just didn't say it in my post because someone had already explained it in full detail (even with pictures).

If I was to climb a lot higher, I would have not hit the bench, but who knows what could have happened. All I know is, I've learned from my mistakes and it just makes me a better climber.

I am a little irritated with some of the things people have said, calling me noob, saying I can't do things. This is what makes people so afraid to join the climbing community.

Ever since I moved to Washington, climbing was something I was always interested in, but I was always afraid. It wasn't until my brother told me to just let go and do the things I want to.

Which is what I did. I climb for me and for no one else. For all of you who said I shouldn't have even been on the route.. F*&^ you, seriously, I can at least attempt and possibly succeed. I work hard just like you do.Mad

Though I can't climb a 5.12b to save my life, I can proudly say I can climb a 5.9 with grace and power.

Wink

one person said anything remotely about your climbing ability and for here that is pretty good.

the cause and effect of what happened does not represent experience.. hence the noob comments. If you are going to post a video of yourself doing something like that then your skin should probably be a bit thicker.

you said "The only reason it didn't work was because there was too much slack and I didn't climb high enough."

which is what i highlighted. That does not say "i know i should use directionals when i climb overhangs AND not have too much slack" so how would we know that you understood that?

This is how most of the folks who posted here are thinking "this girl is going to go outside and think that top roping on the wrong side is the way you do it and she's going to get hurt"

Stick around, you seem to have thicker skin under there to take harsh criticism and climbers need that. especially on RC.com

ynattirb

Feb 22, 2012, 4:42 AM
Post #38 of 91 (6667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jae8908

Feb 22, 2012, 4:58 AM
Post #39 of 91 (6662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

You are a total noob, but I like your attitude. Keep it up!
^this. You're a noob. You need more experience. Only way to get experience and learn things is to keep pushing. Stay with those climbers who are more experienced than you. When they get on the 5.12s jump on there with them and try the moves. Haul through them on t.r. if you have to. Thats how you learn and get better. Good luck and happy climbing.(and swinging)

bowleggedgoat

Feb 22, 2012, 5:54 AM
Post #40 of 91 (6637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In climbing, as in life in general: book up so you don't make mistakes you could easily avoid. Don't allow a perception of safety lull you into false security. Everyone has done something stupid, some accidents are random and unavoidable, that said; most are not. I got bowled over by someone doing exactly what you did and it was onto a concrete floor. If you're only climbing for you, you should be free soloing.

redlude97

Feb 22, 2012, 7:50 AM
Post #41 of 91 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ynattirb wrote:
Well, thanks for your comments!

Also, I do climb with people who have tons of experience. I would never attempt something that I can't do, nor, know nothing about.

Smile
If your belayer is someone with tons of experience, I hope I never run into your group in Washington

sungam

Feb 22, 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #42 of 91 (6585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ynattirb wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink
You know what? I like you. You should stay.

Partner j_ung

Feb 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #43 of 91 (6547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
ynattirb wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

Too late. Posts deleted. But... damned fine quoting people!

sungam

Feb 22, 2012, 2:57 PM
Post #44 of 91 (6524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
ynattirb wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

I hope she doesn't run off forever.

jakedatc

Feb 22, 2012, 3:22 PM
Post #45 of 91 (6511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
ynattirb wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

she probably thought you were hitting on her you bastard ;)

lena_chita

Feb 22, 2012, 3:47 PM
Post #46 of 91 (6504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
ynattirb wrote:
Yeah, I was aware of that, I just didn't say it in my post because someone had already explained it in full detail (even with pictures).

If I was to climb a lot higher, I would have not hit the bench, but who knows what could have happened. All I know is, I've learned from my mistakes and it just makes me a better climber.

I am a little irritated with some of the things people have said, calling me noob, saying I can't do things. This is what makes people so afraid to join the climbing community.

Ever since I moved to Washington, climbing was something I was always interested in, but I was always afraid. It wasn't until my brother told me to just let go and do the things I want to.

Wink

one person said anything remotely about your climbing ability and for here that is pretty good.

the cause and effect of what happened does not represent experience.. hence the noob comments. If you are going to post a video of yourself doing something like that then your skin should probably be a bit thicker.

you said "The only reason it didn't work was because there was too much slack and I didn't climb high enough."

which is what i highlighted. That does not say "i know i should use directionals when i climb overhangs AND not have too much slack" so how would we know that you understood that?

This is how most of the folks who posted here are thinking "this girl is going to go outside and think that top roping on the wrong side is the way you do it and she's going to get hurt"

Stick around, you seem to have thicker skin under there to take harsh criticism and climbers need that. especially on RC.com

You are missing the point. She wasn't trying to CLIMB a route. The reason why she didn't use directionals was because she wanted to swing and planned this. With the help of experienced partners who told her she should be totally fine. And it was a "great experience".

Also, rope swings make you a better climber. I KNEW my toddler was onto something important when she would climb 5 feet off the ground and swing on the rope.

jakedatc

Feb 22, 2012, 3:58 PM
Post #47 of 91 (6494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

You are missing the point. She wasn't trying to CLIMB a route. The reason why she didn't use directionals was because she wanted to swing and planned this. With the help of experienced partners who told her she should be totally fine. And it was a "great experience".

Also, rope swings make you a better climber. I KNEW my toddler was onto something important when she would climb 5 feet off the ground and swing on the rope.

ahh.. got it.

Brittany, i retract my earlier statement. you are destined to be nothing more than a sport rappeller. please see yourself out.

sungam

Feb 22, 2012, 4:05 PM
Post #48 of 91 (6487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
ynattirb wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

Unimpressed oopz. Totally looked like a kreeparr in that post.

lena_chita

Feb 22, 2012, 4:16 PM
Post #49 of 91 (6476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
ynattirb wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

Fixed. You just looked your normal self.

sungam

Feb 22, 2012, 4:33 PM
Post #50 of 91 (6463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] indoor rope swing attempt gone wrong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
sungam wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
ynattirb wrote:
ynattirb wrote:

Wink

Fixed. You just looked your normal self.
I come across as a kreepar? Damnit! I thought I was being so sneaky!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook