RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

hyongx

Feb 15, 2012, 3:47 AM
Post #1 of 9 (7479 views)
Shortcut

Continuously tight forearm muscles
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks,
So lately I have noticed that my forearm muscles are rather tight, pretty much all the time. I find myself stretching my arms out a couple times a day at work, and that my forearms are tighter than normal during a session at the climbing gym.
Also, it seems like it doesn't matter how much i stretch, and that the tightness is pretty much always present.

Normally I wouldn't worry about it too much, but a couple weeks ago i pulled something in my pinky finger, not too serious, but still somewhat swollen. I am wondering if perhaps this unusual tightness contributed to the likelihood of that injury. It's possible I wasn't warmed up enough, but I would say I was adequetely warmed up for the route/problem i was on when it popped.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this regular tightness in the forearms, and if you have done anything about it, or if you don't find it bothersome.
Thanks!

billcoe_

Feb 15, 2012, 4:05 AM
Post #2 of 9 (7471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyongx] Continuously tight forearm muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

hyongx wrote:
Hey folks,
So lately I have noticed that my forearm muscles are rather tight, pretty much all the time. I find myself stretching my arms out a couple times a day at work, and that my forearms are tighter than normal during a session at the climbing gym.
Also, it seems like it doesn't matter how much i stretch, and that the tightness is pretty much always present.

Normally I wouldn't worry about it too much, but a couple weeks ago i pulled something in my pinky finger, not too serious, but still somewhat swollen. I am wondering if perhaps this unusual tightness contributed to the likelihood of that injury. It's possible I wasn't warmed up enough, but I would say I was adequetely warmed up for the route/problem i was on when it popped.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this regular tightness in the forearms, and if you have done anything about it, or if you don't find it bothersome.
Thanks!

It's probably just multiple sclerosis acting up. Nothing to worry over. We all die, after all.

Take care!

jt512

Feb 15, 2012, 4:24 AM
Post #3 of 9 (7467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

hyongx wrote:
Hey folks,

Thanks!

It could be compartment syndrome. Get to a doctor.

Jay

hyongx

Feb 16, 2012, 2:48 AM
Post #4 of 9 (7365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Continuously tight forearm muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang. Multiple Sclerosis sounds like a pretty harsh diagnosis. Compartment syndrome, too. I don't think my symptoms are that severe, and also don't fall under the swelling due to trauma category. Thanks for the help though.
Maybe I'll just keep stretching and hope I don't die or need to have both my arms amputated.

jt512

Feb 16, 2012, 6:43 AM
Post #5 of 9 (7347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hyongx wrote:
Dang. Multiple Sclerosis sounds like a pretty harsh diagnosis. Compartment syndrome, too. I don't think my symptoms are that severe, and also don't fall under the swelling due to trauma category. Thanks for the help though.

Compartment syndrome is not swelling due to trauma; it's trauma due to swelling.

In reply to:
Maybe I'll just keep stretching and hope I don't die or need to have both my arms amputated.

Next time you only want answers that you want to hear, please make it clear in your original post.

Jay

stoneguy

Feb 16, 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #6 of 9 (7258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am no expert, and haven't solved the problem either, but some euro guy told me to try drinking more water. He had a similar problem due to too much partying, so anyway in the fall I started with "LOTS" of water, in the gym and during the day as well. Apparently it flushes something out of the muscles (cyrstalline..?)
It improved 60%. Beats waking up in the night in pain, and I wasn't climbing that often/hard. I do a lot more stretching now, playdough squeeze, and sort of a "tai chi" kind of thing with small 5lb-10lb weights, including left right for forearms gently.
And then of course, you could always go for BIG needles.

hyongx

Feb 17, 2012, 6:23 AM
Post #7 of 9 (7226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stoneguy] Continuously tight forearm muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stoneguy wrote:
Apparently it flushes something out of the muscles (cyrstalline..?)

Dang! you got me.
It's probably just my cocaine and heroin addictions kicking in.
I'll try bigger needles, or maybe switch to the inner thigh.

anarkhos

Feb 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #8 of 9 (7028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly suggest this routine for all climbers:

Twice a week sit on a chair, hold a cast iron skillet (or equivalent weight on a stick like an axe), rest your arm on your knee to keep it parallel to the ground, hold the skillet handle under your thumb and rotate your hand 90° for a set number of times. Rest the handle on the other side of your thumb and repeat for the other direction.

squierbypetzl

Mar 6, 2012, 6:53 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hyongx wrote:
stoneguy wrote:
Apparently it flushes something out of the muscles (cyrstalline..?)

Dang! you got me.
It's probably just my cocaine and heroin addictions kicking in.
I'll try bigger needles, or maybe switch to the inner thigh.

Uh, I think he was referring to the large gauge needles docs use to pierce the muscles to treat compartment syndrome.

CS is a nasty thing to have, and an even nastier thing to ignore, though from what I've heard the pain it causes is remarkable so there's that. Get to a doc, you'll regret not going sooner if your situation doesn't resolve by itself.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Mar 6, 2012, 6:59 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook