Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

May 22, 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #26 of 36 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
sungam wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
sungam wrote:
The messege has been pretty clear - eat fewer calories and burn more calories.

If you're looking for a good cardio workout to do that will help your climbing, the answer may be climbing. Head to the gym/crag (preferably the gym so you don't block a route off) and run laps on a really, really easy route for 30/40 minute circuits. Climb up and down, milk rests if you really need to but try to keep moving.

If you get burnt out early then the route is too hard.

Not only will the cardio help you lose weight/gain CV fitness, you'll also be getting a disgusting amount of milage moving over vertical ground, so it could help shape up your technique as well.

Don't do that at the gym unless there's no one there.
Nah. Unless the gym is really crowded I will do this. I really don't care if you have been working a route in the gym. The gym is a gym, it's for training. How are you gunna get annoyed with someone because they are using it for its intended purpose?

No gym that I've gone to says that its purpose is for training. Where'd you get that idea? Made it up over the internet?
I can think of many gyms that call themselves the "premier training facility in the area" etc. I went ahead and called it a training area just like I would call a pool or a gymnastics arena. Sure there is lots of traffic of novelty use, but the users who return regularly are using it to train. Perhaps I am behind closed minded and ignoring people who never plan to move outdoors, but I kinda like to think those people don't actually exist and that everyone is having as much fun with the sport as possible Wink

Saying you shouldn't run laps on a route because people might want to climb on them is like saying don't swim laps at the pool for training because some people might want to play in the water there.

shockabuku

May 22, 2012, 3:44 PM
Post #27 of 36 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Saying you shouldn't run laps on a route because people might want to climb on them is like saying don't swim laps at the pool for training because some people might want to play in the water there.

No, it isn't. One lane in a pool is mostly indistinguishable from the others. The same can't be said for routes.

But really, I'm just being argumentative because I'm looking for something to distract me from what I'm supposed to be doing.Blush

jt512

May 22, 2012, 4:40 PM
Post #28 of 36 (2137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
sungam wrote:

If you're looking for a good cardio workout to do that will help your climbing, the answer may be climbing. Head to the gym/crag (preferably the gym so you don't block a route off) and run laps on a really, really easy route for 30/40 minute circuits. Climb up and down, milk rests if you really need to but try to keep moving.

Not only will the cardio help you lose weight/gain CV fitness, you'll also be getting a disgusting amount of milage moving over vertical ground, so it could help shape up your technique as well.

Nah. Unless the gym is really crowded I will do this.

I'll do it whether the gym is crowded or not. It's just one route.

Jay

SylviaSmile

May 22, 2012, 4:47 PM
Post #29 of 36 (2130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Better yet, pick an easy bouldering route and go up and down repeatedly. Everyone wins!

sungam

May 22, 2012, 4:52 PM
Post #30 of 36 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Better yet, pick an easy bouldering route and go up and down repeatedly. Everyone wins!
Maybe on section of the wall would work, but one problem alone might be a little too limited/boring.

Another note, when I try to run ARC circuits on a bouldering wall I often get a strong temptation to just step off. That same temptation isn't there when you are doing routes with your training partner there holding the rope. Makes it easier to keep going and not switch to just doing problems.

sungam

May 22, 2012, 4:54 PM
Post #31 of 36 (2125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
sungam wrote:

Nah. Unless the gym is really crowded I will do this.

I'll do it whether the gym is crowded or not. It's just one route.

Jay
Me too but I didn't want people to know how selfish/self entitled I am Wink

granite_grrl

May 22, 2012, 5:04 PM
Post #32 of 36 (2118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Maybe on section of the wall would work, but one problem alone might be a little too limited/boring.

Another note, when I try to run ARC circuits on a bouldering wall I often get a strong temptation to just step off. That same temptation isn't there when you are doing routes with your training partner there holding the rope. Makes it easier to keep going and not switch to just doing problems.

If I'm ARCing on the vertical bouldering wall I'm much more tempted to kick the birthday party brats in the head that keep getting in my waymore than anything else. Ah, the joys of the climbing gym.

sungam

May 22, 2012, 6:45 PM
Post #33 of 36 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:

If I'm ARCing on the vertical bouldering wall I'm much more tempted to kick the birthday party brats in the head that keep getting in my waymore than anything else. Ah, the joys of the climbing gym.
That's the one good thing about training at the university climbing gym. No birthday parties, no kids, and all the meatheads are all to busy trying to campus the v0 on the overhang to get in the way.

Kartessa

May 22, 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #34 of 36 (2059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Matthew0718] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to scare the guy off brahs.

He obviously wasn't looking for "science" bullshit.

Somebody give me a miracle cure for my fatness

shockabuku

May 23, 2012, 2:48 AM
Post #35 of 36 (2039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Way to scare the guy off brahs.

He obviously wasn't looking for "science" bullshit.

Somebody give me a miracle cure for my fatness

Most effective weight loss plan I've ever seen: http://en.wikipedia.org/...ool#Physical_effects. Statistics say an average of .5 lbs/day.

mtnjohn

May 23, 2012, 8:38 AM
Post #36 of 36 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuck, I really want a pizza now!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook