RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

guangzhou

Oct 14, 2012, 8:45 AM
Post #1 of 10 (7012 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Gym Logbook- Serious
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wow, can't believe I am even considering this, but here goes.

My climbing gym caters to large Korean, Japanese, and Chinese community here. Even our Indo-Chinese parents fall in this category.

These parent have been placing kids in various extra lessons for years, things like Kumon Math. To make our gym more appealing, we have been giving certificates of completion when our youth have certain Skills.

Climber Level 1 can tie the figure eight, put on harness and shoes, know the commands, and can come down a top-rope. Complete 10 routes any grade. (hanging ok)

Climber level 2, level 3

than on to Top-rope climber 1,2,3,

Advance climber 1,2,3

You get the Idea. Parents would like the kids to keep and maintain a standardized logbook. Trying to figure out how to format these logbook pages.

Basically, kids need to keep track of how many routes they climb, the grade, and the area of the gym they are located in. Wall 1, Wall 2 etc.

Any advice welcomed.

Obviously, the more visually appealing it is, the better.

I know, I know, what has climbing come to.

Eman

iknowfear

Oct 14, 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climbing Gym Logbook- Serious [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

My climbing gym caters to large Korean, Japanese, and Chinese community here. Even our Indo-Chinese parents fall in this category.

These parent have been placing kids in various extra lessons for years, things like Kumon Math. To make our gym more appealing, we have been giving certificates of completion when our youth have certain Skills.

Climber Level 1 can tie the figure eight, put on harness and shoes, know the commands, and can come down a top-rope. Complete 10 routes any grade. (hanging ok)

Climber level 2, level 3

Advance climber 1,2,3

You get the Idea. Parents would like the kids to keep and maintain a standardized logbook. Trying to figure out how to format these logbook pages.

Basically, kids need to keep track of how many routes they climb, the grade, and the area of the gym they are located in. Wall 1, Wall 2 etc.

Any advice welcomed.

Eman

Hi Eman,

why not go for a badge system in addition to certificates like in scouts (or like swimming in switzerland/germany: http://www.swimsports.ch/de/testwesen/

Hand out a t-shirt, and sew on the appropriate badges.

eg: starting at bear, going to monkey, ending at lizzard With sublevels 1-3 .

For the logbook, consider putting it onto your website similar to:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/

ps: I know its silly, but I am still proud of my "first wave" badge I got in primary school.

olderic

Oct 14, 2012, 1:26 PM
Post #3 of 10 (6987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can I get a black belt in climbing?

guangzhou

Oct 15, 2012, 2:00 AM
Post #4 of 10 (6905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] Climbing Gym Logbook- Serious [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Iknowfear,

The program and levels are already in place. Some requirement are similar to the Merit Badge program, but each new level has a set number of routes that need to be climbed.

After certain level, number of routes climbed, and number of routes belayed.

Thanks so far,
Eman

rschap

Oct 15, 2012, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 10 (6862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting, we do a parks and rec program with the city and so far we've just been doing the same class over and over. We get some kids that take the class 4 or 5 times then get board and stop taking the class. We do have a climbing team where we teach them more but not till they get into 6th grade. Maybe something like this could be set up for the kids that want more.

lofstromc

Oct 15, 2012, 6:35 PM
Post #6 of 10 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first thought was to use what I've heard called the "pyramid" system. Its for leading only, its basically a way to track and train for progressively harder routes. Its like this.
5 - 5.10a on the bottom
4 - 10.b next level,
3 - 10c
2 - 10d
1 - 11a
The next pyramid begins there and works up to 5.12a
I think you could apply this to both tr and leads, and it would be a good graphic way for kids and parents to understand. You could obviously start at much lower difficulties for the TR kids and distinguish them by colors.
For the basic skills you mentioned, maybe you could leave out having to complete 10 routes of any grade - leave those for a pyramid.
??
Good luck

markcarlson

Oct 16, 2012, 1:09 AM
Post #7 of 10 (6776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you printing these logbooks yourself, or are you going to get them printed up for you?

If you are going to have a printer do it, they may have some templates that you can use.

I'm not sure what the logistics of this is in your area.

guangzhou

Oct 16, 2012, 2:29 AM
Post #8 of 10 (6758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markcarlson] Climbing Gym Logbook- Serious [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to design the logbook pages, guess that is the whole point of this post. We'll print them ourselves in a booklet.

Rec prgram above, feel free to shoot me an email, maybe we can work together on some of this. Might help you. I have the basic building blocks already active in our gym. After a year of use, the program is quite successful, but now parents are asking about the possibility of a logbook in paper form.

One post above mentioned grades, the program isn't based on climbing grades. Eventually, those who chose to go that routes have some options along the same line, but this program is for younger kids.

The whole point of the program is teach safe climbing with a wide understanding. The program is mostly set in hard skills, not climbing grades, but to progress from one level to another, you have to climb a selected amount of different routes. 10 routes, 15 routes, 25 routes. Different to encourage trying new routes. To many people get in the routine of doing the same thing over and over because it's comfortable.

More or less the program levels:

• Awareness of safety rules and hazards, appropriate dress and behavior.
• Putting on a harness.
• Participate in warm ups.
• Connecting harness to rope with a re-tied figure of 8 knot with stopper knot.
• Climbing a chosen route with confidence.
• Correct method of descending a climb.

Next level:

• Safe belaying under supervision. (Belay with back-up belayer who is an instructor)(Ground anchors always)
• Pre-climb checks.
• Basic climbing moves.
• Connecting self and others to rope with a re-threaded figure of eight knot and stopper knot.
• Belaying and lowering using a suitable belay device.

Next:
• Ground anchor systems. (When?)
• Holding a fall in a bottom rope situation (belayer on ground with rope passing through top anchor).
• Effective communication and teamwork with climbing partner.
• Knowledge of climbing grades.
• Selection of appropriate routes.
• Effective safe use of a bouldering/ traversing wall.
• Simple climbing technique - the use of feet and legs, relaxed upright stance, confident approach, smooth movement and observation of holds.

Khoi

Oct 20, 2012, 6:11 AM
Post #9 of 10 (6622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

Climber level 2, level 3

Advance climber 1,2,3

Any advice welcomed.

Eman

Asian parents. Crazy

Why am I not surprised?

guangzhou

Oct 20, 2012, 7:31 AM
Post #10 of 10 (6621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] Climbing Gym Logbook- Serious [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, European and British parents too. How dare parents want their kids to progress at what they do.

No parent should want their children to learn how to set or achieve goals. How to track those goals for that matter.

No parent should want to know what their kids are actually doing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook