RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Tyzone

Nov 12, 2012, 9:40 PM
Post #1 of 13 (7670 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a Soft shell Jacket
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for a soft shell jacket that I can wear while climbing/belaying, is windproof, and waterproof. It'd be nice to keep it under $200, any suggestions?

acorneau

Nov 13, 2012, 1:38 AM
Post #2 of 13 (7624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tyzone] Looking for a Soft shell Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tyzone wrote:
I am looking for a soft shell jacket that I can wear while climbing/belaying, is windproof, and waterproof. It'd be nice to keep it under $200, any suggestions?

A soft-shell isn't going to be "waterproof" like a full-on hard-shell rain coat, just water resistant to a certain degree.

Tyzone

Nov 13, 2012, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 13 (7611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Looking for a Soft shell Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh ok, water resistant then. Blocking the wind is more important to me anyways. Any recommendations?

acorneau

Nov 13, 2012, 2:53 AM
Post #4 of 13 (7606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an REI Neo jacket I picked up for $100. It seems to work well for abrasion and wind resistance, and light mist still rolls off (after 5+ years of wearing/washing).

I don't climb in the rain so I don't know how well it would hold up in an actual rain situation.

Maybe someone else with more experience with these types of jackets will toss in their two cents.

Edit to add: I really like the Marmot "Angel Wing" cut for climbing. I have one of their windshirts and like it a lot.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Nov 13, 2012, 2:55 AM)

jp_sucks

Nov 13, 2012, 3:37 PM
Post #5 of 13 (7564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MEC has a bunch of good soft shells at good price points: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/WindwearSoftShells/Tops/PRD~5016-070/mec-pedigree-jacket-mens.jsp

granite_grrl

Nov 13, 2012, 5:48 PM
Post #6 of 13 (7543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Looking for a Soft shell Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Tyzone wrote:

A soft-shell isn't going to be "waterproof" like a full-on hard-shell rain coat, just water resistant to a certain degree.

Even the water resistance doesn't last that long. I've tried to revive my Arc'teryx one a few times and she's never recovered.

granite_grrl

Nov 13, 2012, 5:59 PM
Post #7 of 13 (7538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Looking for a Soft shell Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
MEC has a bunch of good soft shells at good price points: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/WindwearSoftShells/Tops/PRD~5016-070/mec-pedigree-jacket-mens.jsp

It depends where the OP is from, but I think that the best bet is to find a store brand one which might be a little cheaper than others on the market (MEC, REI, EMS).

That said I don't think the OP realizes that there's a range of softshells to choose from out there. Personally I use mine mostly while ice climbing so I like a bit of insulation. I go light in the insulation but you can go surprisingly thinck layer. The flip side is something that's a true shell, no insulation at all.

Then there are other matters: do you need a hood, where do you want the pockets, how many. For me the most inportant thing is fit. Frankly, I have only found one jacket that is long enough on the arms without upsizing on the body more than I want to. This jacket doesn't have a hood, but it's a pretty sweet coat regardless....and I got it on clearance!

jowybyo

Nov 13, 2012, 6:07 PM
Post #8 of 13 (7534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Marmot ROM. Blocks the wind well while still having some venting under the arms. I like the slim fit but it also doesn't restrict movement. It is also warm if you have a good midlayer under it (hoodie, fleece, etc).

I haven't had it long enough to tell you have durable it is, but it's holding up well. However, I wouldn't expect it to last long sliding down rough granite either.

-Joe B.

bearbreeder

Nov 13, 2012, 6:24 PM
Post #9 of 13 (7525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for ice or for rock ... softshells are a big species ... what conditions are you using it for?

Colinhoglund

Nov 13, 2012, 6:30 PM
Post #10 of 13 (7521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get something light and packable like the Patagonia Houdini or Arcteryx Squamish hoody.
Most versatile piece of clothing you can buy for climbing. Goes with me everywhere from cragging into the high alpine. I also take it Ski touring. MANY brands make a version of this jacket, find one that fits and is affordable; most are $100-180.

billcoe_

Nov 20, 2012, 3:38 AM
Post #11 of 13 (7367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Looking for a Soft shell Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
Get something light and packable like the Patagonia Houdini or Arcteryx Squamish hoody.
Most versatile piece of clothing you can buy for climbing. Goes with me everywhere from cragging into the high alpine. I also take it Ski touring. MANY brands make a version of this jacket, find one that fits and is affordable; most are $100-180.

The Houdini is ripstop nylon. Pretty good stuff, as it's super light, it's what I got my kid and myself for Christmas. For softshells, there is only one real waterproof shell IMO, the Mountain Hardware Keepler. I got a bro deal and it came in cheaper than your limit, so look for a sale. It is THE most waterproof jacket I've owned. I had bought the highest recommended shell by Dane Burns, http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/ the First Ascent jacket, and think the Keepler way outperforms it. I live and hike in the wet all the time.

If nothing else, backtrack on the link above and pull out the info you want. Dane gives honest reviews that are world class real and super valuable.

billcoe_

Nov 20, 2012, 3:57 AM
Post #12 of 13 (7354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Looking for a Soft shell Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OH, the most important thing is that new and better stuff comes out all the time. His blog would be a good place to track that info. I see on clicking the link of several I am not familiar with. Including:

In reply to:
Last but not least is an interesting new shell from NW Alpine.

With a retail of $475.00 American DOLLARS I am not sure
what to think yet. I have yet to wear a lwt shell out..even
the less than $100 ones. But then I try to take care of them
and they don't generally get to touch granite. Simply because
it will shred a normal lt weight. Bill @ NW Alpine may be
on to something here. My Eyebright weighs in at 5.4oz for
a size Large. Mind you Bill is looking at the Eye Bright as
"the lightest fully featured waterproof/breathable jacket
on the market".

As in "fully featured" like any of the Gortex, H2No or Event
shells offered by others in a similar price range. This could
well be the ultimate lwt waterproof and breathable jacket
and a lwt wind shell or body armor as a bonus. If it is, with
the kind of durability claimed the $475. might actually
be a be a bargain. Just remember any of these shells will
melt if you add a little heat!

I know that's way over your $ limit, but it might not be for the next person. Happy hunting! Here's the link.

http://nwalpine.com/

climbingaggie03

Nov 20, 2012, 6:49 AM
Post #13 of 13 (7334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a RAB baltoro softshell http://us.rab.uk.com/...o-alpine-jacket.html and its pretty good, I climb, ski, and hike in it. It does fine in snow and light rain. I treat it with Nikwax softshell proof about once a year. http://www.rei.com/...oftshell-proof-spray

I'd change 3 things about it but they're all pretty minor. I'd put an external chest pocket with an audio port so I can get to my ipod when I'm skiing. It'd be nice if it had a bit more insulation/thicker fleece lining but sometimes it's nice that it doesn't so that's a bit of a wash. The third thing is I wish the pockets were a bit lower, but if they were they'd be harder to access when wearing a pack/harness.

My next softshell will probably be the wild things windpro hoody. They even have a customizable one for that personalized feel. http://www.wildthingsgear.com/...-wind-pro-hoody.html

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook