Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Fire
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Stone0826

Nov 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Fire  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Pilot_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've used this website for a while and thought I would contribute and inform people that pilot mountain has caught fire and burnt over 700 acres. This including the climbing area. There is currently root fires and most trails are still shut down. The plan is to replace all bolts so it maybe a while before the area is open back up to the public. It may be a while before I can revisit Pilot so if anyone has any updated information, feel free to post it up. Thanks.
Attachments: 509db59f8ccfd_preview-300.jpg (10.6 KB)

madrasrock

Dec 3, 2012, 3:22 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stone0826] Fire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is from the state park web site.
Pilot Mountain State Park
SUNDAY,DECEMBER 2, 2012 THE JOMEOKEE, SASSAFRAS, LEDGE SPRINGS, GRINDSTONE AND GRASSY RIDGE TRAILS ARE OPEN, ALONG WITH THE CLIMBING AREA,THE PARK ROAD TO THE SUMMIT AREA, THE SUMMIT OVERLOOK AND PICNIC AREA. THE MOUNTAIN TRAIL AND LITTLE PINNACLE OVERLOOK REMAIN CLOSED. THE CORRIDOR AND RIVER SECTION TRAILS REMAIN OPENED. FAMILY CAMPGROUND CLOSED FOR SEASON. .

Replacing all bolts is kind of a over reaction, I talked to two engineers they said if there is a question if the fire effected the hangers, look at them, if there are colored, blues, yellow, then replace the hanger, if it is just black , it did not get that hot. The bolts are protected from the heat by the rock.

Stone0826

Dec 5, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrasrock] Fire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey thanks for the update, I had stopped by the park office and they had stated that they were going to replace them all but if the area is open then awesome cause I'm heading up that way soon. I appreciate the update.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook