Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sexy beaches, Rope size/shipping to Thailand?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Chema23

Jan 25, 2013, 9:28 PM
Post #1 of 6 (5670 views)
Shortcut

Sexy beaches, Rope size/shipping to Thailand?  (Asia: Thailand)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello

I'm planning a trip to SE asia with my girlfriend and we are planning to explore a bit before we settle in for a few weeks of climbing and beach life in thailand. We'd love to meet up with other climbers too. She's a beginner, and I lead 5.12 comfortably.

I'm interested in your opinions on whether we should take our gear with us on our travels or just ship it to Krabi.
I've heard of people doing this but I don't know where to send it or how much it would cost. Anyone know?

Also if we do take our gear with us, can we get by with a 30 M rope? How long are the routes in Thailand? I know that's a broad question, but anything helps. If I go sport climbing in Red Rock, I could bring a 30M rope 90% of the time. But basically, if all I have is a 30 M rope am I gonna be really bummed looking at all the massive towers that I can't climb?

Thanks!

Chema

(This post was edited by Chema23 on Jan 25, 2013, 9:30 PM)

majid_sabet

Jan 25, 2013, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 6 (5661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chema23] Sexy beaches, Rope size/shipping to Thailand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chema23 wrote:
Hello

I'm planning a trip to SE asia with my girlfriend and we are planning to explore a bit before we settle in for a few weeks of climbing and beach life in thailand. We'd love to meet up with other climbers too. She's a beginner, and I lead 5.12 comfortably.

I'm interested in your opinions on whether we should take our gear with us on our travels or just ship it to Krabi.
I've heard of people doing this but I don't know where to send it or how much it would cost. Anyone know?

Also if we do take our gear with us, can we get by with a 30 M rope? How long are the routes in Thailand? I know that's a broad question, but anything helps. If I go sport climbing in Red Rock, I could bring a 30M rope 90% of the time. But basically, if all I have is a 30 M rope am I gonna be really bummed looking at all the massive towers that I can't climb?

Thanks!

Chema

mistake # 1

never got to Thailand with gf

escalabrasil

Jan 25, 2013, 11:53 PM
Post #3 of 6 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chema23] Sexy beaches, Rope size/shipping to Thailand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only been to Railay and PhaNang. The routes there are generally from 15 to 25 meters long. You can find shorter ones, but there aren't many, and they are usually not as good.

A 50 meter rope would get you up a lot of routes, but a 60 meter rope will get you up all of them.
Don't bring a 30 meter rope. I think you'll be disappointed.

I brought my rope with me as we didn't move around much, so I'm not sure about mailing it there.

Good luck! The time I spent in Thailand is still the most fun I've ever had on a climbing trip. Heading back there in December!

nthusiastj

Jan 26, 2013, 3:00 AM
Post #4 of 6 (5602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [escalabrasil] Sexy beaches, Rope size/shipping to Thailand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring a longer rope.

I always took a rope with me and i've never heard of people shipping a rope.

Option 2: rent a rope from one of the guide shops, or ship one to a shop with the promise that it is theirs when you leave. They always appreciate help and they need old rope for threads.

guangzhou

Jan 26, 2013, 3:50 AM
Post #5 of 6 (5594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [escalabrasil] Sexy beaches, Rope size/shipping to Thailand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where else in Asia will you be?

20 Quickdraws and a full lenght rope will cover plenty of great routes in most of Asia's climbing areas. Not carrying it with you would mean losing out on some possibilities for sure.

Eman

Chema23

Jan 26, 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nthusiastj] Sexy beaches, Rope size/shipping to Thailand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tips guys, super helpful. I'm definitely bringing a 60M rope. A friend told me last night that there's "must-do" multi-pitch climbs too.

I'll look into rental prices (does anyone know off hand?). I also have a rope that was given to me that's fairly old but in great shape, and I'd be happy to donate it so I'll look into shipping too (any tips on shipping?).

We're flying into Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam on Jan 30th and the plan is wing it.
We're either gonna,
explore Vietnam
check out Ankor Wat in Cambodia
go to Chiang Mai
or some combination of those things in whatever order seems best, and of course spend most of our time climbing in southern thailand. We have until early march before we fly to Bali for a month.

I would love to hear your opinions.

Cheers,
Chema

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook