Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

farasnyl10

Jan 9, 2003, 9:14 PM
Post #26 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

being girly [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i understand about the hands, although with me, it's the feet...i run alot, and my feet have taken a beating over the last six or seven years--stress fractures, blisters, callouses so thick they're almost translucent, lots of funny bumps (bone spurs on my heels), and have lost toenails too many times to count- i think i have maybe three or four toenails that actually grow back in a normal way. but i must say, i am very proud of my feet, and everything that they have carried me through...quite a contrast though, wearing sandals with a dress or a skirt in the summer, and my toes hanging off the end in all their banged up beauty.

tradaddict

Jan 10, 2003, 5:56 AM
Post #27 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm all for us being able to wear whatever they want while climbing (or while doing anything else for that matter) but I do find that when I see beautiful women wearing decidely un-girly clothing while climbing only emphasizes their feminity. I take heart from this when i'm at the crag and see all the perfectly primped rockgirls and hope that maybe someone is thinking that I look beautiful in my secondhand men's cargos and my favorite t-shirt with the sleeves cut off which I stole from my bestfriend's 9 year old brother.

Deirdre

[ This Message was edited by: tradaddict on 2003-01-09 21:57 ]

arak42

Jan 12, 2003, 8:46 PM
Post #28 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am so glad to see this topic. I have been a definate tomboy my whole life, but lately I have done weird things, like actually go to a Salon to get my hair done and buy girls shirts that are fitted. Wierd!

THe last time my mother saw me she exclaimed "finally, the daughter I always wanted instead of the second son I never had." ouch!

I have attributed this sudden 'girly' outbreak to the fact that I started taking the pill a year ago. Did anyone else find this connection? I just switched pills to one that has a lower dose of estrogen, so we will see if this femininity of mine is here to stay or not.

BYW- I don't think I have ever painted my toes, or had a manecure, but I do LOVE a hot BUBBLE BATH when I am done climbing!!!!

K

ximiana

Jan 13, 2003, 5:19 AM
Post #29 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before that i climb i use so long nails, and dress girly sometimes but i start to climb and all changes, now i look like a boy 90% of the days, only when i have some event that need look girly, i look girly..

i think, somebody can think that i every day look like a boy...

stellalpina

Jan 13, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #30 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha
my favorite thing is being all dressed up and manicured and telling my dads friends at a business dinner that i didnt shower for an entire month while backpacking.
their expressions: priceless.

gblauer

Jan 14, 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #31 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being girly...interesting subject. I have suffered my entire life because I was not "girly". I have always been aggressive, assertive, and strong. In the old days, those attributes were not considered girly and I was relentlessly chastised by my teachers and peers. I can honestly say that once I accepted (embraced) those non girly attributes I began to excel in my career and my life. While I may have those non girly personality characteristics, I do enjoy fine clothing, nice jewels, fastidious grooming etc. I actually enjoy the juxtaposition of looking girly and not acting girly. It is always a surprise for my business colleagues.

Whatever you are is what you are meant to be...embrace it and climb happy.

climbingbetty22

Jan 17, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #32 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use to hate all things "girly" because I went to school with alot of ridiculously prissy girls and that's what girly meant to me. Now I'm at a new school where the girls are not prissy at all because they are into climbing and other "adventure sports." I've actaully learned alot from them, first and foremost being that "girl" is not a four-letter word. I've learned that just because I climb doesn't mean that I have to be some butch, hard-ass non-fem. If that's the way you want it, more power to you, but I love to see women who model strength, power, wisdom AND feminity. So, I no longer shun make-up or jewelry or even skirts, although I draw the line at wearing panty hose. I'm actually beginning to take pride in the fact that I am a woman because I've learned that that doesn't necessitate weakness. So I'll wear my favorite earrings to the crag along with my tanks tops with the ity-bity straps that show my rack (my climbing rack of course ) because I've learned that it is possible to be feminine and strong. Kudos to all the chicks out there who express this concept in their own way.

esimhs99

Jan 18, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #33 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

betty, you know i went to school with a bunch of girls like that too (the really prissy kinds) and it hasnt been until recently (which is why i posted this topic) that i came to realize that even if i did wear a bit of makeup it didnt make me prissy. i am happy to find out that other people think this way too, and that girly does not equal prissy! rock on to all the climber chicks!!!!

spider_woman

Jan 25, 2003, 3:32 AM
Post #34 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE the colors pink and purple......and I will basically dive on anything that sparkles.....but LOVE camoflouge. I think I kind of look girly, but as soon as the fleece comes off and all I have on is a sports tank, and my grossly over developed back and arms appear.....the girly is canceled out completely.

Partner missedyno

Jan 28, 2003, 2:21 AM
Post #35 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've always been a tomboy... a bit of a survival skill having 3 older brothers!!

i rarely dress up or wear make up if that's what we're talking about here... but my partner always describes me as "girly" but in an endearing sense what with my pigtails and obsession with sparkly lip chap.

must mention too that since i got my nose pierced, i feel so feminine!!

(roar)

leahmeryl

Jan 28, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #36 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pierced noses are sooooooooo sexy!

Partner missedyno

Jan 28, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #37 of 37 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have to mention that when i read that post i was sitting here trying to blow my nose without harming the piercing. didn't feel so sexy!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook