Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Old_lady

Oct 4, 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #26 of 41 (13162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Smallclimber--best wishes to you, the new baby, and the rest of your family. I hope you find a way to juggle family, climbing, and the rest of life. If climbing gets squeezed out for a few months or a year or two, you can start climbing again later--maybe with kids when they're old enough?

wendella

Jan 11, 2012, 1:39 AM
Post #27 of 41 (12991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Just read this and thought i would post a reply. I'm 40, and I have two good friends I climb with (female) who are about 55 and 61. The sixty one year old is the peppiest in our group. She's been through a few health scares (breast cancer, gallbladder removal, etc) but she just so damn full of life. She climbs outside whenever she can and has made it her goal to become as knowledgeable (and safe) about trad climbing as one can be. None of us climb hard - the most I climb in the gym is usually a 10 - and we do have to take breaks when body parts start hurting and don't work to spec (knees, shoulders, fingers, elbows...). But all-in-all this definitely seems to be a sport that can age with you. :)

photonicgirl

Mar 15, 2012, 3:21 AM
Post #28 of 41 (12865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 52, I don't lead 5'8 gnarly like I used to, but I can still climb up to 5'10. I think I'm in better shape than ever and having quit drinking five years ago, my liver is happier too :)

Bike, hike, snowboard, climb, farm, yoga, animals (llamas). It's all good.

Kerry_NC

Apr 30, 2012, 5:00 PM
Post #29 of 41 (12723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi ladies!

I will be 40 this summer. I started climbing in January this year, in the gym. My boyfriend who is an avid climber and has been for 20 years, told me he wanted to go to Red Rocks for his 40th birthday, in March (he had been 5 times, but not in several years). So I told him if he could teach me to climb multi-pitch routes by March I would take him to Red Rocks for his birthday.

Well he succeeded! We started in the gym, and were climbing outside by the end of February at Pilot Mountain and Moore's Wall here in NC..brrr..those were some cold weekends.

We spent 9 days in Red Rocks climbing the end of March. I've moved from never having climbed to having climbed up to 5.9, multi-pitch routes, including a couple slightly nerve racking hanging belays, some crack climbs, etc.

We are headed to Summersville, WV the end of May for a long weekend of climbing. Training for that now with weekly bouldering and climbing around NC.

I have a 7 yr old son, but have not brought him into climbing yet..he is to ADD. Hoping to start him this fall in the gym.

How long..as long as I can. :-)

Kerry

gblauer

May 3, 2012, 2:41 AM
Post #30 of 41 (12678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kerry_NC] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to climbing!

Kerry_NC

May 3, 2012, 1:26 PM
Post #31 of 41 (12658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you! Cool

ChaChaHeels

Aug 3, 2013, 3:09 AM
Post #32 of 41 (12268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's reassuring to hear from other 40+ climbers, especially women. We are a rare breed. I started a few years ago at 50. I do at least 5 hours of hard exercise weekly in regular gyms and hiking to keep flexible and strong. Physcially my worst foes are hot flashes. Besides feeling like you're standing in front of a huge fire, you'll get a rapid heartbeat. It only lasts a minute, but when they hit on the rock, or steep approach hike, I gotta find a rest point quick! I like the sport and climbers tend to be good people. I'll quit when it no longer feels safe-physically or mentally.

lilvicks22

Aug 9, 2013, 6:23 PM
Post #33 of 41 (12194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with my mom and she's 53...
Having a mom who climbs, I love how rock climbing spills into our non-climbing days--must begin all shopping spree with a stop at EMS for new shiny gears, arguing whose turn it is to climb the kitchen cabinets for those out-of-reach chinaware, etc. We even managed to convince my dad and convert the attic into a climbing cave. LOL Laugh

gblauer

Aug 10, 2013, 3:06 AM
Post #34 of 41 (12181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lilvicks22] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love climbing with my 24 year old daughter. It's such a treat to hear "On belay, Mom".

lewisiarediviva

Oct 5, 2013, 1:48 AM
Post #35 of 41 (11893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 42 and I seem to go through phases of climbing. I started climbing in 1993 at the latest. Climbed for a few years and then life got crazy. We started again around 2002 and climbed through 2007 and then the economy crashed and we moved and it has just been crazy.

I had been thinking of rockclimbing.com as a long lost friend when suddenly I received an email about one of my watched threads that hadn't seen any action for years. I think I'll be doing some exploring and some serious investigation of my gear and get back on a rock.

matterunomama

Nov 2, 2013, 12:49 AM
Post #36 of 41 (11666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im 60. I have been climbing for the last 7 years. I will never be particularly good; I have devolved from being a 5.10 indoor climber to sport leading 5.8, but I enjoy it for what it is. One of the sweetest things my son ever said to me was "mom, you are awesome" after seeing me lead a 5.9 and acknowledging that for me, the fear factor was equivalent to his 5.12. I hope to climb to 70 and beyond, even if I am not Fred Beckey.

Karinsmayo

Feb 18, 2014, 9:40 PM
Post #37 of 41 (11100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi awesome climbing ladies! I just read this post and thread and I'm happy to see that there some old ladies as me, 43, and older, still climbing and passionately keep going on. Cool
I started about 3 years ago and it helped me a lot for recovering from some big health issues, keeps me focusing of 'keep on moving' and fighting my disease as I've to live with it. Until now I managed to get up to 5.9, even though I had to have a lot of health related breaks in between, but that's ok, bcs the fun of climbing and challenging myself is the pace, which makes me go.
A year ago I've infected my family with the climbing virus and we're now a 3 / 3,5 generation climbing family: my bro (45), my dad (76 started with 75!), my niece (21), my other niece (5)
It's so awesome!!
My dad and my bro just started with lead (everything indoor) and I can't wait to go with them together outdoor.
Unfortunately the live far away, but every climb together makes up for it Smile
Girls be safe, go on climb and show the guys how great we can do Laugh

gblauer

Apr 5, 2014, 2:36 PM
Post #38 of 41 (10698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Karinsmayo] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome! I wish I could say I was in my 40's! Well into my 50's I am enjoying climbing today, just as much as when I started.

dingus

Aug 6, 2014, 9:30 PM
Post #39 of 41 (9678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

A bunch of women, bragging about how old they are.... :)

LIARS!!!!!!!

Hah. Kidding. I'm 53 here and still confused about my gender. I'm about as broke up as a person can be and still manage to climb.

I love the resurrection of this thread.

My climbing partner is significantly younger than me. I can still kick her ass though, on lead, on the approach, pretty much anywhere vertical.

But in the City? Its her whipping my ass instead.

(... and I like it)

;)

Thanks for the thread
DMT

satch

Aug 18, 2014, 7:24 PM
Post #40 of 41 (9471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner wouldn't respond to this thread, so I'll take a risk and respond for her. She's 47, has two kids around college age and started climbing 8 years ago. She was overweight before that and has lost 100 lbs.

I can't even get off the ground on her hard projects now and she carries a big pack in the mountains. We're currently on a year-long climbing trip that also works in skiing, ice climbing and mountain biking. Her preferred routes are multi-pitch moderates in the mountains. While each area we visit will be it's own peak experience, the trip ends with 2 months in Chamonix.

In my view, the beauty is that she just has lots of fun, can be fully in the moment and loves life.

gblauer

Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM
Post #41 of 41 (9445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [satch] Any "old" ladies out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what a lovely post. Good luck with your travels.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook