Forums: Climbing Information: General:
New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

potreroed

Jun 17, 2014, 10:18 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6117 views)
Shortcut

New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  

After two long years I finally finished and climbed my new route on the Mota Wall...

Also, how is climbing like boxing?

http://magicedspotrerochico.com/?p=4280

gblauer

Jun 17, 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

congrats!!! I can't wait to climb it. What's it rated?

Shroom

Jun 18, 2014, 1:58 AM
Post #3 of 13 (6070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  

More free advertising for Ed.

No content, just a link and a chest thump, not to mention the stranglehold on the front page pics.

I hope the new owner starts charging you for this.

dagibbs

Jun 18, 2014, 2:30 AM
Post #4 of 13 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shroom] New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  

Shroom wrote:

No content, just a link and a chest thump, not to mention the stranglehold on the front page pics.

Wow, you have issues. It is climbing content -- yes a link to his blog, but with more than just a link. And lots of people link to blogs, to trip reports elsewhere, etc.

Shroom

Jun 18, 2014, 3:16 AM
Post #5 of 13 (6051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  

dagibbs wrote:
Shroom wrote:

Wow, you have issues. It is climbing content -- yes a link to his blog, but with more than just a link. And lots of people link to blogs, to trip reports elsewhere, etc.

He posted the same lame links on MP and the Taco. It's advertising plain and simple.

potreroed

Jun 18, 2014, 4:35 AM
Post #6 of 13 (6036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  

Shroom wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
Shroom wrote:

He posted the same lame links on MP and the Taco. It's advertising plain and simple.

If my links took you to my guaranteed penis enlargement system you would have a point. All my links take you to interesting climbing related topics. But if you're not interested, don't click.

If you did look at my web site you would see that it's not monetized. I don't make any $ no matter how many clicks I get.

On the other hand, yes, I'm always actively promoting the Potrero Chico which hopefully will encourage climbers to visit which will benefit the locals who cater to them to provide a safe and enjoyable climbing vacation.

If you haven't been there you should check it out--it's a lot of fun to climb long, multi-pitch bolted routes with just a rope and a dozen draws.

sungam

Jun 18, 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #7 of 13 (6001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Shroom wrote:

While I am not the biggest fan of blog links, this is not a very solid comment.

You can't really say he brings no content and then complain about how most of the photos are his.

I would like to see more movement on the front page but that is not a problem caused by Ed - much the opposite it is a problem caused by the lack of photos being posted and viewed (possibly a problem with the programming as well but I don't know what system they have in place there).

In reply to:
Search Results : Top Rated Photos
Displaying top rated photos submitted in the past 3 Months with 10 votes minimum.
No results found. Back to search page

There have been 0 photos posted in the last 3 months that have 10 or more votes on them. Ed isn't the problem.

I would like it if he tried to open up discussion on the topic of his post rather then just link dumping, especially when he does so in more then one place, though.

Gmburns2000

Jun 18, 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

Shroom wrote:

WTF dude? That link that Ed posted is 100% climbing. I mean, seriously, if that's spam then what the fuck are you considering you haven't posted ANYTHING of redeeming value? You think people shouldn't post promoting climbing areas, talking about new routes, finding connections between climbing and other activities? If what he posted isn't climbing related then I'd love to hear your version of what is.

In reply to:

Do you have any idea that it should be the other way around? That the owner makes money off user contributions and doesn't pay a dime to the users for that? As in, if he's done his links right and tags right then his SEO goes up as a result of Ed's content. And with increased SEO he gets more ad clicks and views.

Folks may not like blog posts because they see it as self-serving, but what if it's 100% about climbing then what's the problem? He doesn't make money off the blog itself. Do people pay to stay with him? Yes, but he also says good things about the other places climbers stay in town, too. So it's not as if he's scamming you into a business or anything (and to be a honest, a good business these days provides content related to the actual business). In fact, I rarely see him post anything about his services on the blog (if ever), so it's not as if he's directly advertising.

I just don't get it. A dude posts a climbing post and people wet their pants because... ... ... well, honestly, I don't know why people wet their pants. I hear a lot of crying about, "he's putting a blog post and I don't like blog posts," but what the hell does that say? It says that you don't like blog posts, and that's it.

So I ask you, why is it not appropriate (and we've already shut the door on him making money off it)?

Let the one-stars commence! wooooo!

lena_chita

Jun 18, 2014, 2:24 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

potreroed wrote:
After two long years I finally finished and climbed my new route on the Mota Wall...

Also, how is climbing like boxing?

http://magicedspotrerochico.com/?p=4280

I am removing your duplicate thread on the subject.

marc801

Jun 18, 2014, 5:00 PM
Post #10 of 13 (5928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I mean, seriously, if that's spam then what the fuck are you considering you haven't posted ANYTHING of redeeming value?
Oh don't be so hard on the shroom. I mean he's posted an entire 59 items of scintillating content in 5 years. And one mediocre photo of Skytop at the Gunks just to whine about feeling entitled to climb that privately owned cliff.
</snark>

Gmburns2000

Jun 18, 2014, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 13 (5901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
I mean, seriously, if that's spam then what the fuck are you considering you haven't posted ANYTHING of redeeming value?
Oh don't be so hard on the shroom. I mean he's posted an entire 59 items of scintillating content in 5 years. And one mediocre photo of Skytop at the Gunks just to whine about feeling entitled to climb that privately owned cliff.
</snark>

ok. I got whammed by a troll. we got a new puppy recently and I think my radar is working elsewhere.

sungam

Jun 18, 2014, 6:53 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] New 8 pitch route in the Potrero Chico... [In reply to]
Report this Post

It wasn't a troll - he raised valid points, if a little too far.

Partner Jeff
Owner

Jun 18, 2014, 7:04 PM
Post #13 of 13 (5888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I am locking this thread temporarily until I get a chance to wade through and reply...

I've got a busy day, so may not get to it til tomorrow, but on first glance through here there's a number of posts violating the "no insults/personal attacks" (criticism of what someone is doing is fine, just don't be a jerk/insulting about it). This is a rule that I'm going to be firmly enforcing around here...

Also, I haven't thought much about what is/isn't acceptable for posting links and what counts as spamming the site, looks like now might be a good time to figure that out. :-)

(This post was edited by Jeff on Jun 19, 2014, 9:49 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook