RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

babs87

Aug 7, 2014, 4:25 PM
Post #1 of 8 (9775 views)
Shortcut

Soo tired!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just tried rock climbing (indoor) for the first time Sunday, then went again Tuesday. Before trying climbing I was totally sedentary. I love doing it and plan to continue, but ever since Monday morning (after my first time) I am just completely exhausted all day. Yes, my muscles are sore too, but I am talking about the general tiredness.

My question is: Is this normal? Also, any advice on what I could do to lessen this? Many thanks!

marc801

Aug 7, 2014, 7:15 PM
Post #2 of 8 (9739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [babs87] Soo tired! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

babs87 wrote:
I just tried rock climbing (indoor) for the first time Sunday, then went again Tuesday. Before trying climbing I was totally sedentary. I love doing it and plan to continue, but ever since Monday morning (after my first time) I am just completely exhausted all day. Yes, my muscles are sore too, but I am talking about the general tiredness.

My question is: Is this normal? Also, any advice on what I could do to lessen this? Many thanks!
The bolded bit in your quote says it all. Improve your overall physical fitness. Climbing combines strength, endurance, flexibility, balance, and body position awareness in unique and curious ways. As such there is no one magic exercise.

granite_grrl

Aug 7, 2014, 7:26 PM
Post #3 of 8 (9734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

babs87 wrote:

That sounds fairly normal. You were also probably pretty excited and tried hard I hope, which would wear you out more.

Best thing you could do is to keep climbing. You could do other activity too, but it won't prepare you for climbing as well as climbing prepares you for climbing.

babs87

Aug 7, 2014, 7:26 PM
Post #4 of 8 (9733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Soo tired! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks marc801. I also think I need to improve my eating habits.

I am so excited I have found an activity that I love doing. Whenever I tried to start an exercise regimen before I just got so bored - now I am excited to get better at climbing, and get more fit in general! Smile

babs87

Aug 7, 2014, 7:30 PM
Post #5 of 8 (9731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Soo tired! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right now my husband and I plan on going 3x per week. I think I will add in yoga at least to help with my sore muscles/general flexibility. Thanks for the support!

BTW right now I have pretty much only been bouldering, since we haven't learned how to belay yet. Luckily my gym has autobelays too, but of course I plan on taking a belay course ASAP. I heard bouldering is harder than climbing, so that might also be a factor?

granite_grrl

Aug 7, 2014, 7:47 PM
Post #6 of 8 (9723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

babs87 wrote:
Right now my husband and I plan on going 3x per week. I think I will add in yoga at least to help with my sore muscles/general flexibility. Thanks for the support!

BTW right now I have pretty much only been bouldering, since we haven't learned how to belay yet. Luckily my gym has autobelays too, but of course I plan on taking a belay course ASAP. I heard bouldering is harder than climbing, so that might also be a factor?

Bouldering is generally more powerful than route climbing, while route climbing can be a lot more endurance based.

Yoga is a good idea for stretching out. As you get more into climbing it can also be a good way to balance out some your muscles (note - this really depends on the style of yoga you're practicing).

babs87

Aug 7, 2014, 7:56 PM
Post #7 of 8 (9716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Soo tired! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to do yoga regularly, and my favorite type is hot yoga. I like this style because it really loosens me up and allows me to get deeper stretches.

I tried one of the autobelays on Sunday, and I could only make it about half way up the 55' wall (I think it was a 5.4 or 5.5). Granted, I had been bouldering for like an hour or so prior, but that was surprising to me. After watching kids do it so easily I thought I could too haha.

potreroed

Aug 7, 2014, 8:54 PM
Post #8 of 8 (9703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that's normal. I can remember mornings when it was all I could do to crawl out of bed and literally crawl into the bathroom and a hot tub.

A tired climber is a happy climber.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook