RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

nnacey

Sep 2, 2014, 5:22 PM
Post #1 of 4 (6299 views)
Shortcut

question about building home climbing wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Question for anyone who has constructed a home climbing wall: I am putting one in my attic/spare bedroom. The plywood will be attached to the roof rafters and I am concerned about putting insulation behind the ply. If I put insulation behind the plywood - will this interfere with the bolts/holds ? Will it be a problem to twist , turn, add or remove holds?

thanks, NATe

kennoyce

Sep 2, 2014, 5:52 PM
Post #2 of 4 (6287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nnacey] question about building home climbing wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nnacey wrote:
Question for anyone who has constructed a home climbing wall: I am putting one in my attic/spare bedroom. The plywood will be attached to the roof rafters and I am concerned about putting insulation behind the ply. If I put insulation behind the plywood - will this interfere with the bolts/holds ? Will it be a problem to twist , turn, add or remove holds?

thanks, NATe

It'll be fine. Personally I wouldn't use the blow in insulation because you could get some coming out of your bolt holes, but the normal rolls of insulation will be just fine.

nnacey

Sep 3, 2014, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 4 (6175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] question about building home climbing wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the reply. I saw a couple other threads in here about insulation and people were saying that it may allow moisture to get back in there if it isn't vented. The initial house did not have ventilation behind there but since I'm pulling up the ceiling in the room to allow the gym to flow up the wall to the attic roof I am wanting to do something to keep it warmer/cooler in there.

kennoyce

Sep 4, 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #4 of 4 (6121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nnacey] question about building home climbing wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nnacey wrote:
thanks for the reply. I saw a couple other threads in here about insulation and people were saying that it may allow moisture to get back in there if it isn't vented. The initial house did not have ventilation behind there but since I'm pulling up the ceiling in the room to allow the gym to flow up the wall to the attic roof I am wanting to do something to keep it warmer/cooler in there.

I don't know where you live, but I live in Utah where it is super dry, so moisture isn't an issue here. If you live in a more humid environment, then the moisture may be a valid concern. I would think that as long as you left a bit of spece between the insulation and the roof itself, then put in a couple of roof vents, it should allow enough air flow through there to keep it dry. Have fun with your woodie!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook