RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ballpointpenner

Oct 18, 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #1 of 5 (13376 views)
Shortcut

pain in biceps
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, so I've lately begun having surprising pains what appears to be the triceps are of my arm due to climbing. For example, I might feel like about 10cm below the shoulder bone after a climb. It tends to be relatively acute, but, if I wait for about 10-15 minutes, it goes away. Then, I might do another climb and it might come back.

The pain occurs in my right arm. However, I've also been getting a significantly milder version of something similar in my left which makes me suspect that the cause has to do with general muscle weakness in that area.

I took a one week break from climbing and that didn't seem to help. Now, I am in the middle of taking a two week break, hoping for the pain to just go away. Besides the symptoms described above, I've been getting funny sensations in my lower tricpes, closer to the elbow on my days off.

Now, it's been about 9 days since my last climb and I haven't felt any symptoms for a few days. I was hoping to head back to the climbing gym this weekend but am concerned that the pain may return if I do. Any advice?

PS, I'm 31 and no sports-therapist. It could be that I'm getting my muscles mixed up. When I say triceps, I mean the part of the upper arm that faces sidewards.

EDIT: I think it's actually my biceps. I had some funny sensations the night after I posted this and they were definitely in the biceps - fairly deep in it. Sorry for the confusion.

(This post was edited by ballpointpenner on Oct 19, 2015, 3:09 PM)

onceahardman

Oct 19, 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (13311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ballpointpenner] pain in biceps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, first off, thanks for writing. It's dead in here (tm).

There are many things this could be. As to your confusion regarding which muscle group is involved...biceps is an elbow flexor and a supinator. Do you have that specific pain when you resist elbow flexion and/or supination? Or do you have pain with resisted elbow extension? That would be triceps.

When you say it "tends to be relatively acute", I'm not sure what you mean. Acute refers to the stage of injury, a fresh, new injury, and the acute phase of any subsequent healing.

Is there any specific motion, position, or resistance to motion, you can perform which replicates your symptoms? That would be valuable to know.

Good luck, let me know.

ballpointpenner

Oct 19, 2015, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 5 (13303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] pain in biceps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll go to the climbing gym this weekend and pay extra attention so that I can answer your question in an exact way after that. For now, I'm letting the arms rest and can't say I recall which motions in particular caused the pain. By acute, I meant sharp.

muir

Mar 15, 2016, 3:53 AM
Post #4 of 5 (12322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the exact same thing happen after taking a couple weeks off. At one point I was hanging with full body weight on my arms and then I felt some pain in my left arm.

I got in one more climb but couldn't keep going past that - it felt like something was up with the tendon under my bicep. No pain when I'm not doing anything particularly strenuous.

yanqui

Mar 21, 2016, 1:11 AM
Post #5 of 5 (12128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tearing the long head bicep tendon is a common injury that is often felt in the shoulder. My wife did this climbing and had her tendon reattached surgically. The surgery involves a long rehabilitation process but it was quite successful in her case.

(This post was edited by yanqui on Mar 21, 2016, 1:13 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook