RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

alvchen

Jan 9, 2003, 5:17 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We just setup a slackline at school the other day over some really soft grass. It was all good, till campus safety came by. He watched for a few minutes, then unfortunately told us to take down, even though he was amazed at what we were trying to do.

What I need is help. When I step on it sways like crazy. I can't even stand up on it without holding on to something. I need some help!!!

It's great fun though.

Partner matt

Jan 11, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just make sure you start out at a comfortable length and tautness. Then it's all about just getting on and walking it. Heck use a stick to help you out the first few times. As you begin to get a feel for your balance and the rope you'll steadily improve.

Keep up the work, and let us know how it's coming!

Matt

misha

Jan 11, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started by having a really tight line. This helps a lot. I actually used a garden hose for about half an hour until I felt confident. After that i could sometimes make about 8 steps on my slackline. Having your weight on a stick really helps at first. Also, i feel it is easier to walk fast, and stare at where your line is anchored.

misha

Jan 17, 2003, 4:30 AM
Post #4 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i meant to say garden ho, not hose.

therealbovine

Jan 21, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RELAX

The line will freak out if you try and weight it with that one leg before you are actually standing. If you are attempting the standing start, try and weight the foot and leg that is on the ground and let the line support the other leg, don't push down yet. All at once, jump upward, and as your body weight comes down, push onto the line (think about a surfer paddling into a wave, and "popping" up onto his board). Its best to be HEAVY on the line, not to be LITE. Once on, if you still get the wobbles, start pushing your weight down into the line in a small bouncing fashion. This should give you a little rythm to get balenced, and get rid of those wobbles. Also, make sure you're knees are not locked, bend them a bit.

Keep trying!! You'll figure it out.

ebrmusic

Jan 29, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just started reading up on slacklining today, but other than looking like a lot of fun, is working on your ballance the benefit to your climbing skill?

Partner matt

Jan 29, 2003, 8:39 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, big time.

The better balance you have, and control/feel of your center of gravity, you'll be that much better as a climber.

Of course, there's nothing like real rock to work on balance.

-Matt

rockclimbingpyro

Jan 31, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #8 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm thinking bout trying to set one up for the 1st time and i wanted to know bout how high off the ground to put it and also about the being heavy part, um... i only weigh 105 so is that actually possible?

Partner matt

Jan 31, 2003, 5:09 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, you'll be fine. It's all about how tight the line is.

What's loose for me may feel good to you.

As for the height, I'd say set it up maybe 4 or 5ft above the ground. This depends on length and (again), tautness. Above all, just make sure that when you're standing on the center of the line, it's not touching the ground.

Have fun!

Matt

rockclimbingpyro

Feb 3, 2003, 4:15 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanx

pancaketom

Feb 4, 2003, 1:20 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started with a pretty short line. That way it could be below the "critical height" (so I could straddle it without it touching what I didn't want to get smacked). Then start out with one foot on the line, and push the line against the other leg so it doesn't wobble. stand up until you are about to pull up the bottom leg, then "pop" up onto the line and get your second foot onto it to help control the wobble.
a secondary way to learn is to hold onto something stationary and let go and balance on one leg. As soon as you lose the balance grab it again. do it until you can balance on one leg. Then learn on the other leg. Then all you have to do to walk is switch legs.
other hints:
hold your arms out for balance. Focus on the end of the line or something on the horizon out past the end of the line.
Keep your feet parallell to the line with the line running between the big toe and the other toes and straight past the heel.
I step down on the ball of my foot first, then wiggle it straight before weighting.

keep practicing

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook