Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
My Yosmite partner flaked!! What would you do??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

moabbeth

Mar 13, 2003, 1:17 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

My Yosmite partner flaked!! What would you do??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ARGH!! Why can some climber boys be so flakey? A week from Saturday my partner and I were scheduled to head up to Yosemite to climb for a week and last night he called and bailed. With 9 days to go. Nice, eh? We'd planned this for two friggin months. Since it's so close I doubt I can cancel my vacation days but at the same time I don't want to go up to Yosemite by myself, it's friggin Mecca and I don't want to wander around like some stupid lost girl.

Has anyone else here (female) gone up to the valley alone and been able to hook up with good climbers and had a good trip? I'm freaked out at the thought of driving 5 hours up there alone then having to figure everything out myself there...where to camp, where are the routes, finding partners...I don't want to wander around lost and clueless by myself up there. I like road trips and adventure and I've gone on trips alone before, but not to Yosemite. That place is different. I had to many climbs and goals for that week and now it's all down the crapper.

If I still end up going, I'd be up there Sat. March 22-Sun March 30. Anyone here going to be around the valley during that time??

Sorry to be all venting...I'm just still reeling that this goofball bailed on me with such short notice.

enigma

Mar 13, 2003, 3:09 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

My Yosmite partner flaked!! What would you do?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

--Well I went Tuolumne Meadows by Myself for 3 days during July, and I think if you are camping in Yosemite you shouldn't really have any trouble finding a partner or twelve. You'll be fine :)

valygrl

Mar 13, 2003, 5:02 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Beth, that is a bummer! Bailage SUCKS. Hope he had a good reason.

My female wall partner bailed on me 3 days before we were scheduled to go do South Face of the Column, so it's not just they boys.

I have not done this in Yos. but have in JT. here's my beta:

If you can take care of yourself on the rock, go for it. If you are a follower-only with no gear, it might be better to find a partner first.

Camp at Camp 4, that's where all the climbers hang out. Last time I was there it was pretty empty.

Put a note on the bulletin board, say what you want to climb, or what levels, and a little about your gear and experience.

Go cragging with the person at first, don't hop on a long route until you know them a little.

I hear it's pretty easy to pick up partners there.

Have fun.

:) :)
Anna

iamthewallress

Mar 13, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to Yosemite alone fairly often. There are many ways to score a cheap and tawdry partner pick up...

1. C4 bulletin board. I prefer to see who is looking for partners and go from there rather than posting my own.

2. Rope solo. If you are a chick rope soloing in an area w/ traffic, you will have people offering to climb with you by the end of the day.

3. Go to the caf or the lodge lot and make friends with the climbers there.

It could end up being easier to find random partners in the winter when the summer local crowd has yet to arrive. The local boys are always operating under woman deficit and will be most open to climbing with strangers. This may or may not mean that you get hit on too, but that's pretty much true for a woman making friendly with guys whilst traveling alone anywhere. Maybe you'll even get lucky and meet another solo-tripping gal, but in my experience it's usually the guys that are there alone.

Sometimes I've struck out on the random parnter score and have spent the day hiking or scoping out climbs. These are always great days too.

rosemom3

Mar 13, 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I was at Yosemite last May with a guy who decided selling gear was more important than climbing. We were staying in Camp 4. I had unlimited offers of people to climb with. Also went hiking with a guy, cooked Indian food with two others, had s'mores with a guy from the Netherlands, bicycling with another, pizza with a guy from Oakland, and Royal Arches with a really nice mountain biking guide from Oregon. There are like 200 guys there and about 10 to 20 women. You will have no problem finding people to climb with. Post a note or just offer coffee to the guys in your campsite, which are shared by as many as 20-25 people. Don't forget to take a rest day and rent one of their really neat bikes - the paths through the forest are like something out of a fantasy.

climber1

Mar 14, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that time of March the weather can be tricky. routes may be wet. just a heads up.

moabbeth

Mar 14, 2003, 5:16 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I decided to go ahead and head up there solo and test my luck. There are a couple guys here on the site who have kindly volunteered a couple of climbing days so at least I know I won't be 100 pct by myself. I decided not to let my partner's flakiness ruin something I'd been looking forward to. I'm hoping once I get up there things will pan out.

And I definitely plan to be bringing lots of beer...not just for myself but hey, offering up beer is an easy way to make male friends :lol: . I hadn't thought about coffee though, good idea!

watersprite

Mar 15, 2003, 2:05 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Beth - check your messages [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd love to go up to the valley with you and camp out/hang around until you hook up with some climbers. I'm a beginner - haven't been out enough to even follow safely, but I want to learn.

aimeerose

Apr 5, 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, how'd it go? After reading this thread I'm curious about your experience.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook