RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

asaph

Apr 3, 2003, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Different Hexes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to buy a new set of hexes soon, as I'm trying to start trad climbing and I just have one question about hexes...
I have no issue trusting them, provided they have been placed correctly, so strength isn't really nagging at me as I know they're all 'strong enough'. What I'm wondering is this: What brand of hexes do you find that you place more often and more easily? which brand seems to sink into its placements the best? BD, Metolius curve hexes or WC Rockcentrics? I've only ever followed on WC Rockcentrics, so as of right now I'm digging the way I've seen them placed, but I have no experience with others nor a partner with BD or Metolius that I could look at. So I leave that up to you. Which do you prefer and why?

melekzek

Apr 3, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Different Hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally hate curved hexes. I dont know why, but I hate them :shock: . If I want to use curved stuff, I would go with curved nuts.
On the other hand I love small wired hexes.

furryfrisbee

Apr 3, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Metolius curved hexes, and the Rockcentrics. I've used both, but place the Rockcentrics more. I have a tendency to place the small metolius hexes as nuts, and use the larger ones to build anchors, while I normally use the Rockcentrics while on the route. This is just how it normally seems to work out. There are times it has worked out the other way, but more often it works out this way. I like both, but I am thinking of getting a second set of Rockcentrics. Getting a second set of the Metolius never entered my mind.

benkiessel

Apr 4, 2003, 7:27 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love the bd hexes, and hate the curve hexes. i have used both and bd seem to place better to me.

phugganut

Apr 16, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man I love Metolius curved hexes; they friggin rock! I've used other hexes before, mainly BD, but nothing works as well (for me) as they do. However, I do wish that they made one size larger! You should check them out & see what you think. -Mike

bhudda

Apr 16, 2003, 7:12 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BD hexes, Metolius curved hexes, WC Rockcentrics, they are all great pieces. I like the BD hexes for general use but I have had great placements with the curved hexes. Use your friends gear and whatever feels best go with it. Your developing skill and confidence in placing any of the above hexes is much more important than brands and marketing hype or what anyone thinks.

t-dog
Deleted

Apr 16, 2003, 8:06 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would probably depend quite a bit on what kind of rock you climb on. If it's really rough irregular stuff, then I would go with the curved, if it's straight parallel lovin' then the bd might be better.
I have the metolius curved hexes and lead 5.9 with an all passive rack except for 2 booty gear cams and the curved hexes go extremely well actively in the cracks of J-Tree.

ubotch

Apr 16, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some of both the black Diamond and the Metolius and I prefer the curved metolius for sure. They just seem to fit better than the BD's.

menotyou

Apr 16, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius curved hexes kick ass.

dangermonkey

Apr 19, 2003, 5:19 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1852 views)
Shortcut

? hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hate hexes. I do carry a couple for bail gear. I have never used them and they are dead weight as far as I am concerned. Curved hexes don't tickle me either.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook