Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

duskerhu

May 14, 2003, 6:59 AM
Post #26 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing this weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:shock: :lol: Hahahaha, well, the second pitch was probably anyones "speed" but the first pitch, well, that's another question altogether Paula... Put it this way... I'm sure you could've climbed it, but you surely would NOT have thought of it as a 5.6. Especially as you were reaching out behind you for a big steering wheel patina (read -> pretty good sized roof for a damn 5.6!)

I seriously don't think that first pitch is 5.6... And I couldn't see a 5.6 start anywhere around there. I still think we did a 5.9 (maybe 5.8 for JTree) start on that. Yeah, the "patina" holds where great and HUGE, but actually getting to them, that was more like 5.9 to me.

Anyway, back to the future... I don't think I'll be there at 4pm, but I'll probably go up to VE around 6 or 7 for a couple hours before work Wednesday night if anyone is interested.

Social Butterfly, I mean kurt, will probably be there to introduce you to everyone you already know, ooops, I mean anyone you don't know... So come on out people...

(kurt, just giving you your last share of guff there before I transfer your shares to Tim :lol: )

duskerhu

pelliott

May 14, 2003, 1:10 PM
Post #27 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be at VE tonight and I am seriously considering a trip to Blue Mound this weekend. I know I have blown smoke on this before, but I really mean it this time. The weather is supposed to be good I hear.

pj

May 16, 2003, 3:28 PM
Post #28 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my wish is coming true and I _am_ going to get in some outdoor climbing; Bert and I will be at Blue Mounds on Saturday (from about 9 or 10 on...). Not sure what area yet, but if anyone finds us they're welcome to join in and admire my spanking-new helmet.

jreinan

May 17, 2003, 12:42 AM
Post #29 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bought the Maxim Leavitator 10.5 x 60m rope today and was wondering how people are about leading a route for you out at red wing are they willing or can they be kinda stuck up about it. I mean of course it depends on the group but in general how are they? If anyone is gonna be out there on saturday maybe theyd be willing to lead one for me, so i can try this new rope out

fo_d

May 17, 2003, 10:02 AM
Post #30 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jreinan we will be there with a group of teens on generic wall, you can jump on one of our ropes iff you want.

talk to one of the long hairs (me or Dan)

Les

karma274

May 18, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #31 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on the group, but if you ask nicely I think most people would be cool with it. Just feel out the situation.

I know that my friends and I would much rather lead a route for someone than see them get epiced or do something that would be unsafe for them.

pelliott

May 19, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #32 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I headed down with my family to Blue Mound last weekend with the hopes of hooking up with Pj and Bert and doing some climbing. I got there between 9 and 10 AM, but I didn' know what they looked like and I didn't see any teams of just two. So, after waiting several hours, I was ready to chalk it up as a loss when who should appear magically but Josh (jhattan) and Dan (danomann) from Nebraska. It was hard to miss Josh's red hair under his blue bandana. They were there with Crag and Gary climbing at the Bottom Boulders Buttress area.

I got in several climbs with these guys. Craig and Gary are of course regular fixtures at Blue Mound. Almost every time I go to Blue Mound see them. If you see a slightly heavy set guy with a mustache who looks like Teddy Roosevelt, then you are probably looking at Gary. These guys have a wealth of information too, and they are always cracking jokes. They are highly entertaining to climb with.

Anyway, I did Layback Crack, Piernas Borraches (Great Climb) and two other routes that weren't in the book to the right and left of Save-Me-Tree.
I also made an attempt again at Balcony Right.

It was good to see Josh and Dan again. I even got to meet Josh's girlfriend Laura. They were only there for a day trip, so I didn't get to talk much, but they said that they will definitely be there on 6/27. It should be a great time.

duskerhu

May 19, 2003, 4:57 AM
Post #33 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Patrick, did you get to lead anything? Or maybe follow Craig or Buzz (Gary's nic I believe)? They are old trad gods; you could learn a bunch from them. Those guys are THE most irreverent pair I've come across in a long while! I could sit on the ground in my belay chair and listen to them for days and not stop laughing for more than 5 minutes.

You also should have asked Josh why he didn't post up and see if someone was maybe going down there... Anyway...

And pj, you need to post up and tell us about your little trip... Give us the juicy details!

Les and I took a youth group from his church out to Red Wing on Saturday. We had lots of fun but didn't get quite as much climbing in as we'd wanted. I did however gear my way up Free Base 5.9- and that was a blast!

Me, Monday eve sometime at VE... I'm not sure but I think now that Les' boat is in the water, he's kinda baggin' out on Monday nights for a while so if anyone wants to climb, come on up. I'll be available...

duskerhu

fo_d

May 19, 2003, 7:05 AM
Post #34 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:( Sorry to leave you hangin partner, I dont even get to ski this Monday, the weather looks to be sucking pretty bad, but I have to get caught up on things so I have time for climbing and skiing and besides that I'm too sore from hitting the wake to hard for 2 days in row, but Ill be ready to hit it hard at Barns Friday.

And about Freebase Dan and I also discovered that we'd rather lead it on gear than lead Rockaholics 5.8 sport, go figure.

:D Les :D

pj

May 19, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #35 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, sorry I missed PElliott, but we ended up parking in the north lot and climbing more northerly areas - Chimney Buttress and Prairie Walls. I climbed Prehension - world's most frustrating 5.7 :evil: - , Y (and maybe Z, I got sort of off-route, but the 5.9 seemed to have better holds than the 5.8....) and Bushmaster, so named because of its tricky involvement of a ledge covered with prickly pear cactus. Bushmaster was my favorite, and I did the best on it, including a sweet dyno move with that satisfying THWACK of flesh on rock. Bert climbed these and also added Thumbnail Direct and Seduction and Rejection. The latter is a tough 5.9 that stumped him until he found the secret hand jam on the overhang. All in all, a lovely day - 75 and breezy. My sunburned and bruised self will be at VE tonight, glutton for punishment that I am.

Paula.

j_magnuson

May 20, 2003, 12:57 PM
Post #36 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Blue Mounds-Memorial Day Weekend?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is anyone going to be at Blue Mounds for the long weekend? I'll be about 15 minutes from there and would love to get in a day of outdoor climbing. PM me or post here if you are going to be around and want to climb.

Josh

rocksolid

May 21, 2003, 11:50 AM
Post #37 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Re: Blue Mounds-Memorial Day Weekend?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On Saturday, a few of us are going down to Barns. If anyone wants to join us, we are meeting in the parking lot at noon.

Craig

fo_d

May 22, 2003, 5:04 AM
Post #38 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Re: Blue Mounds-Memorial Day Weekend?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like Dann and I will be doing Friday morning as long as the weather is nice, but I heard things could get a little wet Sat. if its the other way around you'l probably see us there with kids in tow on Sat. :D

:D Les :D

duskerhu

May 22, 2003, 7:03 AM
Post #39 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Red Wing this Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YO!

The weather machine here says it's gonna be partly cloudy and 70 on Friday; NO RAIN... Saturday, there's a 20% chance of a brief T-storm in the afternoon.

So, Les, myself (for sure), Louis, Chris, and Kurt when ever he can roll outta bed, are gonna be at Barn Bluff Friday morning. Anyone else that may be free, come on out.

Saturday, there is a large contingent from here and VE including lots of kids going to be at the Bluff, which, may or may not include me and my kids (depending on how I feel after no sleep Friday).

In reply to:
On Saturday, a few of us are going down to Barns. If anyone wants to join us, we are meeting in the parking lot at noon.
I'd say Craig, that by noon, you're going to miss a good bit of the fun... :lol:

j_magnuson, it's my understanding that there is a number of folks from VE heading down to BM for the long weekend. You should get yer gear and just roll on out there. I'm sure if you're friendly someone will let you hang with them.

AIEEGHT! I think that is all I had to say...

See ya at the Bluff Friday people!

duskerhu

twiz

May 25, 2003, 3:20 AM
Post #40 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red Wing this Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
YO!Saturday, there is a large contingent from here and VE including lots of kids going to be at the Bluff, which, may or may not include me and my kids (depending on how I feel after no sleep Friday).duskerhu

No offense, I LOVE kids. But I almost went down to red wing today. Sounds like it was a good thing I didnt. Taylors falls was really dead (other than tourists) as well. Now I dont feel so bad that I have to work the rest of the weekend. I bet the n.shore was mobbed, too!

duskerhu

May 25, 2003, 8:30 AM
Post #41 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool! So, every time I want the Bluff all to myself, all I gotta do is post "...there's a large contingent of kids going..." and knowone else will show up?

Hmmm, sweet!

duskerhu

rockhugger

May 25, 2003, 1:57 PM
Post #42 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good thing I didn't go to Redwing yesterday,I felt like sh!t.Can you get sick from standing under crop dusters while they spray? :wink:

fo_d

May 25, 2003, 2:12 PM
Post #43 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff!!! where the @#$@ you been? I thought you dropped off the face of the earth or down into one of those caves or something.

:lol: Les :lol:

rocksolid

May 25, 2003, 2:30 PM
Post #44 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Twiz - Despite the large contingent of kids at Barns, it was incredibly dead yesterday. You should have come down, it was great!! There was a big group from RC.com/VE (including the large contingent of kids), but we had the place to ourselves. At one point we had like 8 or 9 ropes set in the New Vice Area. And it's not like we were hogging the area - there was nobody else around. Eventually, we moved down towards the Cyclops Area/Winter Wall, and almost every route was open. You don't see that very often on a Saturday afternoon! And on top of that, the weather was perfect. I am guessing that Taylors was the same way - it sounds like a lot of people left town for the weekend.

Dann - Where were you? I expected to see you there...

Craig

duskerhu

May 25, 2003, 7:07 PM
Post #45 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'd heard there was a large contingent of kids going to be there and decided not to go... :shock:

jk, When I told the girls about it friday night, Kali didn't want to go. Which is strange 'cus, she's usually my "little climber." But this time, she was adamant; she was not going.

So, we took our time getting up and out of the house, and then about noon, as we were already rolling down the road she says, "OK daddy, let go climbing!"

AAARRGGG!!!

So, we just ended up going to VE for a couple hours instead.

Anyway, maybe next time...

duskerhu

rockhugger

May 26, 2003, 4:05 AM
Post #46 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Les, I'll actually be joining you and Dann every other Friday at Redwing.
I've given up on that trog thing.Back to blue skies and the heights.I've had it with rain and mud.

fo_d

May 26, 2003, 6:12 AM
Post #47 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D :D :D :D Excelent, I look forward to wearing you out again :D :D :D :D

Its great being an old man, I can say stuff like that and noone holds me to it :lol: :lol:

duskerhu

May 26, 2003, 6:42 AM
Post #48 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of "wearing one out" Les; next time I get to aid everything and you get to climb it all...

:twisted:

duskerhu

fo_d

May 26, 2003, 6:53 AM
Post #49 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D :D Yup :D :D

rockhugger

May 26, 2003, 8:44 AM
Post #50 of 65 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah,your going to wear me out since I havn't been out in a long time.I'll be like coming out of semi retirement. :D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook