Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbersam

May 20, 2003, 7:38 PM
Post #1 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Everest on $5000
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just finished reading "Seven Summits", the story about two guys climbing the highest seven peaks. I realized that I could not identify with the climbers, nor most mountaineers on Denali, Aconcagua, etc. because neither I nor any of you (probly) could ever do it. Who has the vast $$$ to put on one of these trips?

So put on your thinking caps - How could I, an American, with say $5000 to spend get from America to the summit of Everest?
To make it interesting I won't use oxygen and I'll depend on previous parties for fixed lines, ladders.
Would I need an accomplice(s)?
Mode of transportation(s)?
What should I say to Officials?
Which side of mountain to attempt?

Please use your imagination - breaking any law (American, Chinese, Nepalese) is allowed, as well as stowing away, stealing etc. Flaming and sarcasm are always welcome, bit I prefer Quality Constructive Advice.

deleted
Deleted

May 20, 2003, 7:45 PM
Post #2 of 46 (6927 views)
Shortcut

Re: Everest on $5000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, it sounds like you're in the hole right out of the gate since permits (assuming you were going legit) are running 70-grand.

air fare roundtrip new york to kathmandu is about $1900, plus another $400 from kathmandu to lukla.

... want me to stop? :D

moeman

May 20, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #3 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jump out of a jumbo jet cruising at 40,000 feet, right above the sumit. Maybe bring a parachute. No acclimization or anything. Oh, and wear filp flops, shorts, and a T-shirt. If your lungs explode, send pictures.

hellbent

May 20, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #4 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be wild. Pay for your transportation there. I'm from India and a roundtrip from the US to India is approximately 1200$.
Then sleep at bus-stops and railway stations.

Food is cheap as hell. Cut out all the touristy stuff. Just go climb.

Dont blame me if you get into trouble for no permit and stuff like that. I believe that I heard the word "illegal" in your post.

Also hook up with a local if you can. Lots of benefits.

tori

May 20, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #5 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that should be enough to put on a seminar at the local holiday inn about your recent trips up the mountain and how the trip makes you ubercool and ultrasheek. then let the new customers pay for the whole thing and you just hand out the pre event workout schedule. then loose them at the airport for their own safety. or you could go as a grip for the reality show coming up, or as the long lost possessive boyfriend of one of the contestants. if you call the show and claim that it will be fantastic drama to show up at the last minute they might go for it. keep thinking, you can do it :wink:

phairclimber

May 20, 2003, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure you will have to spend all $5000 on gear.

This means you will have to travel for free and skip buying a permit. Just wear white when climbing, no one will see you.

To get there, I recommend stowing away in the hold of a nepalese cargo ship. This may take a while, but free is free, right?

Food is another issue, you will be there for several months. I think you will have to hunt/kill/cook your own food, but I am not sure what kinda animals are around there.

Boy, sounds like fun!

vertical_reality

May 20, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #7 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Koran Gruup (sp?) rode his bike to Everest, there's your mode of transportation. if you check otu travelocity.com maybe you can find a cheap flight to europe and just go from there.

Isn't this the year of the mountains or something so permit prices are cut in half. I don't think it cost $70,000 for a permit. That's how much it costs to go on a guided expedition. Everest is a big place too, so maybe you can sneak up there without the officals finding out.

How long can you survive on only eating snow?

Maybe if you do it alpine style and pack your tent and stuff as you go, that might save on setting up a couple of camps.

Rather then Sherpas, get a few of your buddies to help you out, offer to pay them with beer.

Just a few ideas, anyone else?

billburning

May 20, 2003, 8:24 PM
Post #8 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Invest your 5,000 dollars for a while until it becomes $25,000 and then go.

jman

May 20, 2003, 8:39 PM
Post #9 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a page with a little cost break down from a guide service.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0305/expert_everest.html

allanange

May 20, 2003, 8:41 PM
Post #10 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pave Everest. :idea:

xinh

May 20, 2003, 8:49 PM
Post #11 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To make some extra bucks as you're hitchhiking across the mainland, beg for money on freeway offramps. The homeless Vietnam vet pitch will work better than the dirtbag-with-a-mission (nobody likes hippies!). Make sure you save correct change for the new internet access available at basecamp, as you will need it to create an alibi. On the waterways, you can pimp yourself out on cargo ships, because anything looks good to lonely seamen. Once in Nepal, steal a little kid's ratty bike that's leaning against the nearest monestary, and be sure to jingle the prayer bells in honor of the sins you are about to commit. Outlaw yourself against rich American businessmen that are heading up the rough and tumble trail. Don't touch the yaks, and leave the technical gear, as your newfound friends will inadvertently carry it for you. For now, concentrate on Gortex , warm North Face clothing, and the Hershey's chocolate bars that break the monotony of not having variety in your diet. Once at basecamp, hire the cheapest Sherpa you can find. He will do double duty as your food source later on. As for gear, there's plenty halfway to the summit. You just have to kill for it. But this is ok, because when you run out of freeze-dried Sherpa, you will need to find another food source, one that can't tattle on you if it isn't alive to talk. Oxygen is free, just breathe in and out. :lol: :lol:

Marilyn

P.S. I'd be more than happy to join you on this venture. I'm not very meaty, though, so don't get any ideas.

alpiner

May 20, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #12 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Xinh gets the award for best answer so far. If you want to stay legal and go low budget, Everest is doable for about $15,000. But that assumes you already have gear and experience.

dsafanda

May 20, 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #13 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could fund a great "rock climbing" trip with $5,000.

felis

May 20, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #14 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="xinh"] Once at basecamp, hire the cheapest Sherpa you can find. He will do double duty as your food source later on.

P.S. I'd be more than happy to join you on this venture. I'm not very meaty, though, so don't get any ideas.
Sherpas are not very meaty either:-(.

sandbag

May 20, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #15 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could buy 5000 dollars worth of lotto tickets and hope for the best, or go to Vegas and try to parlee the sum into a bigger one. Or hell, just move over there, become a citizen, and then be a sherpa, and one day rogue your way to the top and there you go. Free. Now you can use that 5000 to fly back to the states, repatriate, and sell the movie rights to Marilyn's adventure since you were there to see and witness it, and youre living the American dream.

:shock:

weaselman

May 20, 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #16 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seems like you could just canoe to Asia, then steal a bike off'n one off them chinese fellows. then just bike to everest, and start climbing!!!!

xkyczar

May 20, 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #17 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

70,000 / 5,000 = 14

So if you are going legit you need at least 14 people.

Let's say 1000 for very cheap gear.

70,000 / 5,000 - 1,000 = 17ish people

How about 1000 traveling cash, assuming you're jumping boats, hitching...

70,000 / 5,000 - 2,000 = 23ish people

500 for a cheap sherpa and 500 for a lot of what ever they call that yak butter and sugar.

70,000 / 5,000 - 3,000 = 35 people

Another 1000 for bribes, ransoms, I climbed Everest t-shirts, Everest internet cafe fees...

And we are up to 70 of your closest dirtbag climbing buddies. Bet you would be pretty popular at BC.

brianinslc

May 20, 2003, 10:48 PM
Post #18 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So put on your thinking caps - How could I, an American, with say $5000 to spend get from America to the summit of Everest?
To make it interesting I won't use oxygen and I'll depend on previous parties for fixed lines, ladders.
Would I need an accomplice(s)?

Nope.

In reply to:
Mode of transportation(s)?

Fly to Katmandu on the cheapest bucket flight you can find, try to keep the flight cost under 800 bucks.

In reply to:
What should I say to Officials?

Well, hello, yes, I'm a trekker, here's my trekking permit...

In reply to:
Which side of mountain to attempt?

North.

In reply to:
Please use your imagination - breaking any law (American, Chinese, Nepalese) is allowed, as well as stowing away, stealing etc. Flaming and sarcasm are always welcome, bit I prefer Quality Constructive Advice.

I think you could "trek" to basecamp in China and climb the North Ridge. If you felt good and strong, you could lobby to help carry loads for a team. Then, being the nice persuasive person you are, "borrow" a suit and warm bag in high camp, make a run for it. Bribe you way out of jail if a local finds out. Voila.

Join an Everest team as a trekker. Then be strong and helpful. Might help to bring your own boots, as they are an item that you might not be able to borrow as easily.

I don't think any team would refuse a load carry...and you'd be gettin' dailed for an attempt.

Shoot, with this plan, your cost is under 2K....

The other option is to split a permit on the Chinese side with folks. I'll bet its a bunch cheaper than Nepal (10K per if you split with 7 folks versus?). Or try to add onto a team with a permit that needs a partner to fill the permit out.

Peaks get "poached" in Nepal and China all the time, I'm guessin'...and, a bit of cash greases those wheels if need be too it seems...

Be an adventure, for sure.

Your book title could be, "Everest, the Ultimate Poach".

Can't wait for the TR...

-Brian in SLC

mark99

May 21, 2003, 12:22 AM
Post #19 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First get to base camp, should not cost to much plane ticket and then hitch there....

Next dress up as a Sherpa and hitch onto another climbing party. When you get to the point where you should turn around adn go home just keep climbing

Then you can use the gear of the people you hitched a ride and also if for someone reason you need a rescue they are already there...

Easy....

Send me a post card when you get there.

apoorva

May 21, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #20 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

willing accomplice right here. i'm not very meaty either, so...
i'm also an aspiring writer, i could ghost-write the book. it'll definitely sell millions, im a very good...umm.. aspiringwriter..or if i'm accepted in the role of getaway driver, umm, i mean accomplice; we could co-write. oh and constructive ideas: plane ticket to, say, india (i'm from there too) is about 800 bucks off season, after hard searching. walk over to nepal, its not that far. attach ourselves informally to one of the indian army teams (i know one going next year); or get a trekking permit to enter the area. once there, who's checking anything?! jump on the mountain and pretend to be someone from one of the teams who're supposed to be there. BC is all a big mess in any case. and on the mountain no-one's going to want to throw us off it. tag the summit, and go home! all done, nice and easy. gear's the real issue here, seriously. if you can steal it all, i think we'd be fine. just down suits, piolets, and boots. everything else is strung up on the mountain in any case. we just gotta rope-climb...jugjugjugjug all the way to the top.

vladowski

May 21, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #21 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, these guys really raped you didn't they? I hope it doesn't really cost 70 grand just for a permit, but if it does, don't pay it man. This land was made for you and me. Oh wait, that's only America isn't it? Well just tell them you didn't know that.

dlintz

May 21, 2003, 2:50 AM
Post #22 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few ideas:

Buy a number of fake Rolex watches for bribing officials.

Have you ever seen pics of Everest basecamp? Lotta free alpine booty abandoned there. Higher up on the mountain you could strip the corpses of their booty too.

Buy a yak to carry your gear as high as possible, then make yak jerky.

nonick

May 21, 2003, 5:22 AM
Post #23 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are plenty of expeditions out there that would just let you on board because they have a permit to sell. From what I read, Henry Todd was/is the cheapest commercial guide. I think he got into some sort of trouble though with the Nepalese authorities...

v_nick

May 21, 2003, 7:08 AM
Post #24 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok here's my idea.

You've got 5k

Buy your transport. After all, who wants to wait for cargo ships and beg on freeways and all that junk. $2,000

Sink a grand on gear, you'll need warm stuff and some boots, crampons, axe, a couple of crabs and assorted little things like that, a cool tent and one warm-arse sleeping bag. (ok probably well over $1,000, but i'll assume you at least have some of that stuff already, and were either willing to go second-hand or get creative with the rest) $1,000

As far as i know it's free to trek on up to base camp, and only illegal to go above it, so you're sweet to there. Use $1,000 bucks of what's left and get yourself some sherpas and some food. As I understand it, sherpas don't cost that much in US dollars a day and if they can live on yack butter and barley flour or whatever, so can you.

From there just get up early one morning and go, i doubt there'd be people there checking tickets (though maybe i'm mistaken). Use that last $1,000 (a phenomenal sum in rupees) to bribe your way past any trouble.

If you think that last bit sucks, you don't have to go the standard route, from Gorak Shep stay east and climb up and over the north east ridge of Nuptse, and drop down into the Western Cwm and up from there. Consider it a bit of acclimatization. You still get to use all the ropes from other people but avoid base camp all together. From there you wouldn't be much less than 6,000m, so no one's about to physically stop you and you've still got that $1,000 to sweet talk your way down after running like hell didn't work.

I didn't say any of it was a good idea. Let us know if it works. :D

Nick

galt

May 21, 2003, 2:09 PM
Post #25 of 46 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pay for airfare there. Dude, you really can't get around it. You'll also want to bring in some quality food and any meds you're going to want for altitude. Go over as an American Environmentalist who wants to help clean up Everest. Get the government to give you a place to stay, food, and a little $ while you ferry O2 bottles down from Everest. (Hell, if the Gov. won't help you out raise sponsorship here in the states. I'm sure there are tons of treehug... people who would give a few bucks to help out) If neither of those turn out sell the O2 bottles back to the guides. It may not be top dollar, but cost of living can't be that bad over there.
Now you have 2 things going for you. 1) A little extra cash for the rest of the gear you're going to need (I hope acmeclimbing ships to India). 2) Experience in the area (which is priceless). Take your gear up to where you are getting the O2 bottles and leave a little behind about 2 days before you try to summit. One day leave for "Work" as usual and just don't come back. By the time anyone realizes you aren't there you'll have a 2 day head start. Take your time and do it right (you probably won't get a second chance). Good luck to you. (and I hope you don't even consider anything I mention in the above... but if you do I'd buy the book.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook