Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner greenspace

May 29, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #1 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Bay Area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a girlfriend, now ex-girlfriend, who is moving to the area and when I come visit her...and I will(from Indiana). Will there be some climbing in the near area. Or should we just drive to Yosemite? probably a dumb question, but what can I say I am a Ball State student......
And also, does anyone know of any job openings for a lady who is just moving there? She is living in the "Castro"? something or other, area-
Thanx
chris

watersprite

May 29, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tell her to look on craigslist.com for jobs or hotjobs.
it seems that no one uses the newspaper for jobs anymore - everyone is online.
be VERY CAREFUL driving on 19th st. in the Sunset - avoid it if you can.
It is a part of Hwy. 1 that goes through the outskirts of SF on the way to the GG bridge. There are accidents all the time! People speed through there to beat the light. Sad story in the paper today about a young girl -22 - who graduated two days ago - she was killed by a hit and run driver. Such a waste.

there are lots of threads about Yosemite here - do a search... it's not that easy to get to - 5-6 hrs. from the Bay Area. Try Castle Rock Park on 35 off hwy.9 (Skyline) - local crags and worth the drive from the city.

Yeah, I'm a local - and SF is THE CITY.

bdawg

May 29, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #3 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do u mean castro valley?

watersprite

May 29, 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #4 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quoi??

bigbones

May 29, 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #5 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bayarea climbing... go to http://www.climbingbayarea.com bouldering**** at castlerock 1+ hr away; sport at mickey's beach, 30 min; st. helena, 1hr; pinnacles national monument 2+hrs; sonora [grotto/fissures/goldwall] 2+hrs. i have no beta on trad climbing. look it up!

watersprite

May 29, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #6 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt. St. Helena is at the very top of the map in Napa - look on a map - that's 3+ hrs. from the Bay Area, maybe 2 hrs. from SF. It's a 5 mi.+ approach to the Bear. very doable, but watch out for poison oak.

watersprite

May 29, 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #7 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there is any trad climbing in the Bay Area...

BTW - sandstone is a biotch - I scraped my shoulder on SAt., and it just looked like a scratch. Now it's yellow and abraded - like I sanded the skin off. It's going to be a honking' scab soon.

ricardol

May 29, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #8 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing close to the bay area.

i've made the drive from SF to yosemite in a bit over 3 1/2 hrs (with no traffic) ..

.. lovers leap is about 3 hrs away i think

.. pinnacles natl monument is about 2 hrs away i think ..

-- ricardo

tahquitztwo

May 30, 2003, 7:05 AM
Post #9 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try to get a copy of the book "Buildering, Bouldering and Climbing in the Bay Area".......it covers just about everything one could imagine within an hour or so from San Francisco....not as spectacular as the Valley or Pinnaces or the Leap but fun stuff.
Especially the bouldering areas across the bridge in Berkley area....great views and fun routes.....Indian Rock, Mortar Rock, Cragmont, Pinnacle Rock.........lots of history in those places as well...early Sierra Club Rock Climber practice spots.

mungeclimber

May 30, 2003, 4:32 PM
Post #10 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't think there is any trad climbing in the Bay Area...

BTW - sandstone is a biotch - I scraped my shoulder on SAt., and it just looked like a scratch. Now it's yellow and abraded - like I sanded the skin off. It's going to be a honking' scab soon.

No trad in the Bay Area? uh, you may want to rethink that.

mungeclimber

May 30, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #11 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Try to get a copy of the book "Buildering, Bouldering and Climbing in the Bay Area".......it covers just about everything one could imagine within an hour or so from San Francisco....not as spectacular as the Valley or Pinnaces or the Leap but fun stuff.
Especially the bouldering areas across the bridge in Berkley area....great views and fun routes.....Indian Rock, Mortar Rock, Cragmont, Pinnacle Rock.........lots of history in those places as well...early Sierra Club Rock Climber practice spots.

old book, good but old

efforts to put it online

http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/ba/index.htm

watersprite

May 30, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #12 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, I'm game - is it "trad" climbing if you're using cams to back up a bolted route? I'm so confused...

baldguy

May 30, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #13 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think what mungeclimber meant is that there is, in fact, trad climbing in the Bay Area.

now, if i could just talk him into letting me follow him up some of those routes...

watersprite

May 30, 2003, 6:59 PM
Post #14 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

where? Pinnacles is Bay ARea? Berkeley. Now I'm really confused. What are you guys doing?

(everyone with an "interesting" route keeps it a secret... I'm not telling you mine! - that lousy Femme Fatale....)

so funny- I climbed with someone last weekend - and EVERY route and problem was "interesting."

desertgranite

May 30, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #15 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="watersprite"]where? Pinnacles is Bay ARea? Berkeley. Now I'm really confused. What are you guys doing?

I think there are some short trad routes at the Far Side, Mt. St. Helena. If you can't find em, just go to the Leap allready!

watersprite

May 30, 2003, 7:43 PM
Post #16 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was at the Far Side last April - well, I tried to get there. I couldn't get through all the brush, and got a wicked case of poison oak.

Where is the Leap? Lover's Leap? will def. be in Tuolumne this summer.

mungeclimber

May 30, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #17 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
was at the Far Side last April - well, I tried to get there. I couldn't get through all the brush, and got a wicked case of poison oak.

Where is the Leap? Lover's Leap? will def. be in Tuolumne this summer.

Now you're talking. Even closer to home is what I was originally thinking... on the Waterfall Wall at Castle Rock are a series of cracks that are entirely protected by gear, though they have bolt anchors I think. Also, like you mentioned, if you supplement a bolted route with gear and it's not totally superflous then yes that's a trad route, especially if done ground up without pre inspection. Viva la adventura. (<--is that a real word?)

Who is baldguy???

davidji

May 30, 2003, 9:18 PM
Post #18 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Viva la adventura. (<--is that a real word?)
Dices "aventura" en espaņol. At least I think so--my Spanish isn't very good.

stonefiend

May 30, 2003, 9:48 PM
Post #19 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

castle rock has nice bouldering on slopey sandstone.. stinson beach has a nice setting and some bouldering.

yosemite is 3.5 hrs from castro valley.. i live right next door in hayward. indian rock in berekely is a nice place to meet folks and has decent bouldering for a suburb pile.

to to rei or any gym and pick up the 'BAY AREA ROCK" guidebook. it'll set ya straight. notorious areas have their separate guidebooks.

watersprite

May 30, 2003, 9:56 PM
Post #20 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm doing the waterfall routes at Castle Rock in Saratoga tomorrow morning - 10:00 am - if anyone wants to meet up at the observation deck.

Partner phylp

May 30, 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #21 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The original poster is now probably totally confused by the conflicting information. To re-iterate the correct information:

1. The Valley is 3.5 hours from the Bay area, unless you try to leave the Bay Area during rush hour. Then it could take you 5-6 hours! Plan accordingly.

2. There is plenty of "local" climbing if you need an outdoor fix and you only have a day, but I personally think the quality is poor compared to Yosemite (Valley, the Meadows) or the Lake Tahoe area (Donner Summit crags, Lovers Leap and at least a dozen other crags). From San Francisco (again, if you miss heavy traffic times), you could get to either Sugarloaf or Phanton Spires on Rte 50, or Rainbow Wall on I-80 (not quite a "Donner" crag but close), in about 3 hours driving. I've done all 3 as day trips several times. Lover's Leap would be 3.5 hrs. I also do the Pinnacles and the Jamestown crags as "day" trips: last weekend it was 3 hours from my driveway until I was on my first route at the Grotto at Jamestown.

3. There is certainly trad climbing (cracks protectable by gear) "locally" if you want to do it, but much of it is easily topropable.

4. The old Jensen guide mentioned (Buildering, Bouldering...) is hard to come by but Jim Thornburg did a very similar guidebook in more recent years that I've seen at REI and in the gyms.

5. Depending on what your friend does for work, Craigs List may or may not be that helpful for her. The SF Chronicle is the major local paper.

Welcome to the beautiful Bay Area!

roseraie

May 31, 2003, 12:03 AM
Post #22 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are three "Castros" in the Bay Area:

The Castro District (the gay district of SF)
Castro Valley (my charming --ha-- hometown)
Castroville (where they grow all the artichokes)

desertgranite

May 31, 2003, 6:40 PM
Post #23 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a girlfriend, now ex-girlfriend, who is moving to the area and when I come visit her...and I will(from Indiana). Will there be some climbing in the near area. Or should we just drive to Yosemite? probably a dumb question, but what can I say I am a Ball State student......
And also, does anyone know of any job openings for a lady who is just moving there? She is living in the "Castro"? something or other, area-
Thanx
chris

Do they teach English at Ball State? If they do, I strongly suggest you sign up for a remedial course. As far as I can tell, you want to toprope some climbs. Take your girlfriend to Castle Rock. If you can't find it, get Watersprite to show you the way. There are bolts covering 75% of the rock there. May I suggest Summit Rock? It's right across the street from the parking lot and it's really easy to set up toprope anchors with no chance of falling to your death. It's also very clean and kids don't throw bottles on you as you climb. I don't think you want to go to Yosemite, not much there but tourists, rangers, and bears...

While the Bay Area might be rife with pristine climbing destinations such as Summit Rock and Skull Rock, jobs are hard to come by. You tell your girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend, or whatever she is, that she should have moved here in 1999 when they were handing out jobs like welfare checks.

:lol:

mzllr

May 31, 2003, 7:05 PM
Post #24 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
While the Bay Area might be rife with pristine climbing destinations such as Summit Rock and Skull Rock, jobs are hard to come by. You tell your girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend, or whatever she is, that she should have moved here in 1999 when they were handing out jobs like welfare checks.

:lol:

you got that right.... unless she specializes in some obscure skill, she'll be applying for jobs along with half of northern california. it's not going to be if she's qualified for a job, just if the employer actually looks at her resume out of the hundreds they receive for one job post. not trying to rain on her (your) parade, just want to make sure she realistically knows what she's getting into by moving here.

some suggestions::
1. send out as many resumes as she can everyday
2. be aggressive in interviews (make sure she stands out)
3. use 'needs based' selling (this is what you need, this is what i can do).

good luck

tt

May 31, 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #25 of 31 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, I think there's rock climbing practically in the Castro. Isn't there a wall called Beaver wall or something like that in San Francisco?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook