RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

tashtego

May 28, 2003, 7:28 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1124 views)
Shortcut

Ushbas and Hauling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently picked up a set of titanium Ushbas. Stellar device. I love the smoothness, down-jugging ease, safety features and rope-friendly design. Only one hitch: I can't figue a way to rig a haul that keeps the bag-side inverted ascender from clacking into the pulley. This is due to both the ratcheting action requred to engage the device and the lack of opposite side biner holes.

I don't know that this presents anything more than an annoyance, but I don't want to figure that out on a wall. Thoughts?

heinz57

May 30, 2003, 12:15 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1124 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ushbas and Hauling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

8)
there are 2 reasons not to use Usbah ascenders (do you want to buy mine ?)
1) as long as the rop you are jugging is soft and 10mm or more then Usbah is stellar. when you want to jug up new or almost new static ropes (different sheath as lead ropes) then beware of not getting off ground - you will definitely slip down because the ascender does not bite !!!!
2) also when rock is leaning (angle smaller then 75%) the ascenders do not hold anymore and you slip down slowly - nice feeling
3) to clean a zig-zag-line or a roof you must take the ascender off and place it higher above the piece - this is a shitty job with the Usba l - you will use 4letter words then. any normal ascender works better.

I put them away and replaced them to normal Petzl ascenders ( you like to buy them ?)
it also happened to my the midst of a bigwall the bendable closure of
the ascenders (where the rope is to feed in) just came out and I had to
hammer it together on the wall.

this is true experiences of a wall climber who first really favorited the Ushbas (because of the money spent on them) but never would recommend them now.

for wall-hauling use the Petzl "traxion" or the Kong "wall-hauler" - they are easy to set and always work reliable.

peas

May 30, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1124 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ushbas and Hauling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After reading this trip report, I am definately not going to be buying a "Russian" any time soon.
http://groups.google.com/...supernews.com&rnum=2
Now I have a couple more reasons not to buy Ushba ascenders or haulers.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook