Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

vtposer

Jun 21, 2003, 1:07 PM
Post #1 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Drinking while climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sometimes I take mid-late day breaks to down cold ones, then feeling a good glow we go back out climbing. I feel great after a few beers, seems to take the edge off, less hesitation, less fiddling with gear, seems to make me climb better. Seriously, anyone else feel the same?

clymber

Jun 21, 2003, 1:24 PM
Post #2 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Re: Drinking while climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

note to self never climb with vtposter....now think about the goverment made it illeagle to drive a car after a few drinks because it impairs your judgement....so you think its safe to climb and place gear with a buzz on...thats pretty damn scarey in my opinion and stupid.....might have a winner here for the Darwin Award

fearless1

Jun 21, 2003, 1:46 PM
Post #3 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with clymber.....definitely a Darwin award for next years edition. Definitely would not want to be the one belaying or following your gear placement....save the beer for after climbing....if you have so much hesitation placing gear, than perhaps you are climbing above your skill level?

wildtrail

Jun 21, 2003, 1:54 PM
Post #4 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sometimes I take mid-late day breaks to down cold ones, then feeling a good glow we go back out climbing. I feel great after a few beers, seems to take the edge off, less hesitation, less fiddling with gear, seems to make me climb better. Seriously, anyone else feel the same?

Personally, I think that's a terrible idea. Nothing like having slowed reactions and dulled thinking when engaging in an activity with fatal possibilities.

Granted, everyone has the right to do what they want to do, but on this site I see a lot of irresponsible people. Drinking and smoking pot (both of which I enjoy) while climbing. Plain stupid in my book, but that's my opinion. I save the partying for after the climbing. I guess I just want to be safe.

ninjaslut

Jun 21, 2003, 2:05 PM
Post #5 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The state of mind one gets in when one drinks (even just a little) is deceptive. Remember, all the judgements you're making about how climbing is better after a few beers are based on observations made after a few beers. Would you trust a UFO siting, or testimony in a crimal trial attested to by someone who admits to having had a few beers at the time? Likewise, you should understand your recollection of bomber pro placement was judged while impared. You really have no way of knowing now whether any of that stuff could have held you in a fall, as you were in no condition to detirmine that at the time. Even if you did fall once or twice, you may have just fallen on of the few that worked well enough.

vtposer

Jun 21, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #6 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im not saying I get drunk while I climb, there is a big difference between a drunken stooper and a warm glow. I guess its just being able to know your own limits. What about smoking herb and climbnig? I suppose you guys frown upon that as well. Dont knock it till you tried it.

ninjaslut

Jun 21, 2003, 2:20 PM
Post #7 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Im not saying I get drunk while I climb, there is a big difference between a drunken stooper and a warm glow. I guess its just being able to know your own limits. What about smoking herb and climbnig? I suppose you guys frown upon that as well. Dont knock it till you tried it.
Ya know what, if you're top-roping and your belay is sober, climb on coke; climb with an 80-ft water pipe; steal some morphine and climb after a few CC's of that. I'm sure it's all exhilerating. Just get protection from somone who actually knows his limits.

weaselman

Jun 21, 2003, 2:21 PM
Post #8 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vtposer said:
In reply to:
What about smoking herb and climbnig?

the more man smoke herb, the more babylon fall

treeman

Jun 21, 2003, 2:27 PM
Post #9 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you able to find a partner to climb with after a few beers? beer just makes people sloppy, just look at people in a bar.

i climb tree's for a living, and i prefer pot over beer. but the 2 do not mix. yes i have gotten stoned a few times before climbing, but it made me slow as $hit. i was too busy second guessing myself. plus i do not want the added burden that i hurt myself or my partner because i was stoned.

save the beer / weed for after the ropes are coiled. climbing is dangerous enough. can you live with yourself if something happened to your partner after you had a few?

overlord

Jun 21, 2003, 2:59 PM
Post #10 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've tried them both, so now I can knock it.

And I will. It's dumb. Period.

me2. it sucks. even one beer dulls your reflexes and precision. i only tried once after a beer and once after a little grass, and it SUCKS. i could climb only about 1 grade lower than my level and that was pushing it. not to mention the secutity issues.

now, a cold one AFTER climbing. and maybe some pizza... mmmmmmmm

tradmanclimbs

Jun 21, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #11 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me the climbing is so much fun and so special that I don't need to drink and I don't smoke anymore anyways. The climbing itself is my drug. I do tend to get blistered after a scary climb though. One of my best partners smokes a ton of weed and usualy does a hit or 2 before climbing. He is very solid and never overdose it on multi pitch but can get carried away while craggingor spurt climbing. I have seen him do some pretty stupid stuff after burning one. He is the rope gun though so what do you do :roll:

vtposer

Jun 21, 2003, 3:35 PM
Post #12 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner is the one who buys the beer and packs the bowls man! One time I had him tie beers to the haul line so I wouldnt loose my buz as I aided over the crux roof. all you guys who say you get tippsy after one beer are either quears or lightwieghts or both. I can have at least a three and my fine motor skills arent effected, period. As for mixing pot and beer, I find that after a few chokers the beer really helps with the cotton mouth.

"Drinking!" "Drink on!"

sirtis

Jun 21, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #13 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:arrow: your lucky when ever I try to down a few cold ones Im sent to my room...damn laws...

pehperboy

Jun 21, 2003, 3:48 PM
Post #14 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh man, when I see sh*t like this going on at the crag I prefer to find somewhere far, far away. I bring my first aid kit, pullies and static line for myself and the people I climb with - just in case. Don't want to have to assist in rescuing some drunk/stoned dimwit. If it's just you and your buddies, climb on. But you put other climbers in a situation where when you have an accident they forced to take responsibility for your drunken (sorry "glow on") screw ups. And I for one don't want to witness a fatality - under any circumstances.

climbjs

Jun 21, 2003, 3:49 PM
Post #15 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done it. Of course, I've done many stupid things. In hindsight, I wouldn't do it again- although it seemed fun at the time!

vtposer

Jun 21, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #16 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, Jeez. thanks pehperboy. I can sleep easier knowing you have your pully and static line with you at all times. ready to save the day. and FYI we prefer Mentaly challenged, not dimwit. :roll:

Partner sauron

Jun 21, 2003, 4:07 PM
Post #17 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think people should do what they want at the crag, be it grass, alcohol or harder drugs..

Look at it this way - once they kill themselves, there'll be one less person to deal with at our already overfilled crags...

- d.

treeman

Jun 21, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #18 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some years back i spent a season ski patroling in VT. it was interesting how after lunch most of the people that needed help had alcohol on their breath. did alcohol cause this? can;t say for sure but i bet it made them ski a little more reckless.

didn't some one in CO get charged with man slaughter after killing a man by skiing into him after he had a few.

why not just drink vodka out of a flask? humping them beers to the crag must get heavy. then you could keep the flask in your chalk bag for mid climb nips. do you pack out your empty's? with all that drinking do you have to piss at hanging belays?

fieldmouse

Jun 21, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #19 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats the big deal? I know about a hundred people here in flagstaff who got soused as fuck and still crank. as for puffing down before climbing-I know about 2 people who dont. Get over it. now climbing on acid-thats sketch.

beastmaster

Jun 21, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #20 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Whats the big deal ?!°?!?"

Now my 12 year old son wants to take beer on our next trip.

Thanks, RC:com !!!1

vtposer

Jun 21, 2003, 4:37 PM
Post #21 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
why not just drink vodka out of a flask? humping them beers to the crag must get heavy. then you could keep the flask in your chalk bag for mid climb nips. do you pack out your empty's? with all that drinking do you have to piss at hanging belays?

Hauling beers is good trainning. besides we bring cans which are much lighter and can be crushed for easy carry out.

Partner calamity_chk

Jun 21, 2003, 4:42 PM
Post #22 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd sport climb and boulder with a buzz on. trad is scary enough as-is though.

then again, it's lunch time and i'm still recovering from the hangover from last night .. doh.

pehperboy

Jun 21, 2003, 4:46 PM
Post #23 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, no problem VT. Don't think I'd want to waste my precious resources on someone like you though. Prefer to let nature take its course . . .

pehperboy

Jun 21, 2003, 4:50 PM
Post #24 of 159 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW VTPoser, have considered going to AA to get help with your substance abuse problem? Do us all a favour and check it out - before you kill or injure yourself or someone else.

fieldmouse

Jun 21, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #25 of 159 (9471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Whats the big deal ?!°?!?"

Now my 12 year old son wants to take beer on our next trip.

Thanks, RC:com !!!1

you let your 12 year old look at these forums?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook