Premier Sponsor:

reddragon

Jul 24, 2003, 3:48 PM
Post #1 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Moving West--Small mountain towns, abundant public land
Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic has been discussed in length on the site, but I have a slight twist. I'll be finishing college and a legal obligation in the spring, then I plan to get the hell off the East Coast. I'm primarily interested in small towns with easy access to the mountains.

Requirements for consideration:
* Broadband internet access
* Direct access to public trails

I plan to continue to work as a freelance developer, so DSL/Cable is a limiting factor. Satellite internet solutions simply are too slow, so I realize that I will have to be within/close to city limits. Youthful indiscretions have relieved me of driving privileges for a long time, so I'm in search of a town with multiple public trailheads within less than 10 miles of town.

I plan to rent an apt./small home for a year and possibly move on to a new area. Locations with high-unemployment and low-cost of living are appealing to stretch pennies; I do not plan to recruit local clients but instead keep my east coast ones. The availability of local arts/culture/social opportunities are unimportant.

My primary activities would be peak bagging, backpacking, road/mountain biking, snowshoeing/xc-skiing--all possible with public land nearby. Not prerequisites, but nearby rock climbing (all types), ice climbing and alpine climbing are huge pluses.

___Current Considerations___

Wallowa County, OR -- (Enterprise, Joseph)
Currently the option I'm favoring--many trailheads within 15 miles. Small, remote, picturesque community. Lots of large peaks and snowfall.

Northwest, WY -- (Jackson, Lander)
Although Jackson is neither small or cheap, the quality of immediately available recreation keeps it an option. Harshest winter of all options listed.

North Cascades, WA -- (Leavenworth, Darrington)
Suggestions on narrowing the search in this area would be greatly appreciated. The number and quality of peaks in this area is a strong point.

OTHERS:
Bend, OR -- The high desert environment is an interest and Smith Rock offers plenty of climbing.
Driggs, ID -- Suggested as a cheaper and less flashy Jackson WY alternative.
Coeur d'Alene, ID -- Northern Rockies possibility

Utah is completely ruled out; oppressively religious communities and strict law enforcement are what I'm leaving behind. Most Colorado possibilities seem to be heavily developed with high cost-of-living.

Any comments about the areas listed above or suggestions of new ones are very much appreciated.

bumblie

Jul 24, 2003, 4:01 PM
Post #2 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Re: Moving West--Small mountain towns, abundant public land [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most Colorado possibilities seem to be heavily developed with high cost-of-living.

Colorado has tons of great mountain communities that fit your criteria. Just stay away from the ski towns.

winter

Jul 24, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #3 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Move to Canada, almost everywhere is small here, What about Canmore Alberta...not that cheap but location, location, location. See earllier thread on Calgary...only 45min from Canmore.

reddragon

Jul 24, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #4 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, at the present time, I'm omitting Canada as an option altogether.

Under Canada’s current Immigration Act*, individuals with (nearly any) past legal misdeeds are often immediately “inadmissible” for visitation or residence. However, the decisions are supposedly not always “cut-and-dry”. It is my understanding that if a person wants to endure considerable bureaucratic scrutiny, evaluation, etc., one can eventually establish residence, depending on their records.

At the moment, the whole ordeal seems unappealing, as I would prefer to get on with life in peace.

*Canadian Immigration Act Sections 19(1)(c), (c.1), 19(2)(a), (a.1)

maculated

Jul 24, 2003, 5:05 PM
Post #5 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People actually want to move to Idaho? Come on. You have got tobe kidding.

the_difficult_kind

Jul 24, 2003, 5:11 PM
Post #6 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you been to Idaho?

thomasribiere

Jul 24, 2003, 6:04 PM
Post #7 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
oppressively religious communities

I see a high potentail for thread hijacking here :lol:

maculated

Jul 24, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #8 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I've just been to the ugly part.

angelaa

Jul 24, 2003, 6:58 PM
Post #9 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try this web site!!

take a short quiz, and it will give you options you hadn't ever thought about!

http://www.findyourspot.com/Default.asp

the_difficult_kind

Jul 24, 2003, 7:08 PM
Post #10 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe - southwest Idaho has a lot of desert. But, up North is gorgeous. I live in Boise and the coolest thing about is that I can be bouldering or climbing at 7:45am and still make it to work by 8.

reddragon

Jul 24, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #11 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
try this web site!!

take a short quiz, and it will give you options you hadn't ever thought about!

http://www.findyourspot.com/Default.asp

Angelaa--Thanks for the response.

I did see that site posted in the previous discussion on this topic. While it did have some useful information, they also sucker you into giving up your mailing address AFTER you sit through the 15-min long interview process, if you want any results. Not wanting to have wasted my time, I gave-in and am expecting a slew of junk mail.

The information provided is your typical "come live in our wonderful town" fluff, complete with smiling families and helpful suggestions of how to spend your vacation money there.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll focus on areas that may fly under the radar of that site.

jaylaka

Jul 24, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #12 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm pretty much in the same situation with respect to moving west. my criteria involve good climbing areas and running trails, reputable public school system (i'm a teacher with a soon-to-be school age child), and affordability.

i settled on grand junction, colorado.

so in a year or two, that's the plan. :D

but look into it. it seems to match your criteria too...and housing costs are the same as where i'm at in southern wisconsin, plus with lower property taxes.

jen

epic_ed

Jul 24, 2003, 10:48 PM
Post #13 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure you've considered Colorado Springs. I have a couple of friends who live there and they love it for some of the same reasons you listed. Cost of living is middle-of-the-road in my opinion, but may be higher than you care to deal with.

The friends who I mention above settled in Colorado Springs after a 12 month road trip to decide where to live. A lot of factors played in to their decision, and likely differ at least somewhat from your criteria, but they also felt very strongly about Coeur d'Alene. Their prohibiting factor (lack of computer enginnering industry) may not be a limiting factor for you at all.

Good luck. And stop hittin' the hooch. ;-)

Ed

bluto

Jul 24, 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #14 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps you should re-title your thread "East Coast convicted felon who will soon be completing house arrest / probation seeking small mormon free western town (Idaho white supremacists OK!) to exploit your high unemployment and lack of jobs , and contribute very little to"

Really man, the anti mormon shit is tasteless and rude, I am not a mormon, but have many friends who are. If you want to "live your life in peace" in the west, show a little tolerance.

reddragon

Jul 25, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #15 of 15 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Perhaps you should re-title your thread "East Coast convicted felon who will soon be completing house arrest / probation seeking small mormon free western town (Idaho white supremacists OK!) to exploit your high unemployment and lack of jobs , and contribute very little to"

Really man, the anti mormon s___ is tasteless and rude, I am not a mormon, but have many friends who are. If you want to "live your life in peace" in the west, show a little tolerance.

You're incorrectly assuming quite a lot in that thoughtful, on-topic response.

Thanks, I'll pray for you.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook