Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
... reworking the routes section for Old Baldy
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

suntoucha

Jul 31, 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3250 views)
Shortcut

... reworking the routes section for Old Baldy  (North_America: Canada: Ontario: Central_Ontario: Old_Baldy)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

... I want to separate and complete the list of climbs for Old Baldy ...

So until we can merge the entries for "The Main Wall" into the list, there may be duplication of a couple sport routes.

Peace,
-Suntoucha

renobdarb

Aug 1, 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Re: ... reworking the routes section for Old Baldy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be careful reworking an area on this site using a guidebook as reference... you may run into copywrite issues...

instead, only add or re-work routes you've climbed or have good beta on, and use origional descriptions...

best,
brad

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 1, 2003, 12:21 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No need to re-enter them... You can shuffle routes from one Section to Another. Check the Area MGRs Forum for details. If you are not an Area MGR, then contact your Area MGR, and they will explain how.

suntoucha

Aug 1, 2003, 3:37 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd be careful reworking an area on this site using a guidebook as reference... you may run into copywrite issues...

instead, only add or re-work routes you've climbed or have good beta on, and use origional descriptions...

best,
brad

I have seen many entries that if not verbatim, very nearly follow the descriptions given in a guidebook. And if there does end up to be copywrite issues, then the entries can just be removed (or re-written then) ... no?

any feedback would be appreciated before I invest too much time an effort here ... thanks.
-suntoucha

renobdarb

Aug 3, 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have seen many entries that if not verbatim, very nearly follow the descriptions given in a guidebook. And if there does end up to be copywrite issues, then the entries can just be removed (or re-written then) ... no?

any feedback would be appreciated before I invest too much time an effort here ... thanks.
-suntoucha

Yes, some people put in routes with direct info from guidebooks. This is plagiarism, and does violate copywrite laws ("No information from this book may be reproduced, in writing or electronically, in part or as a whole, without expressed written concent blah blah blah blah..."). I'm not sure what the repercussions are, but do you really want to do all that work and then just have to erase it? also, chances are the admins of RC.com will take the heat for any issues that may arise... besides, how would you feel if you put a ton of time and effort into research and development to publish a guidebook just to have some dude post all your info on the internet for everyone to see free of charge? just something to think about... i'm not telling you not to do it, i'm just saying you should be careful...

cheers,
brad

soma

Aug 3, 2003, 1:14 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, some people put in routes with direct info from guidebooks. This is plagiarism, and does violate copywrite laws ("No information from this book may be reproduced, in writing or electronically, in part or as a whole, without expressed written concent blah blah blah blah..."). I'm not sure what the repercussions are, but do you really want to do all that work and then just have to erase it? also, chances are the admins of RC.com will take the heat for any issues that may arise... besides, how would you feel if you put a ton of time and effort into research and development to publish a guidebook just to have some dude post all your info on the internet for everyone to see free of charge? just something to think about... i'm not telling you not to do it, i'm just saying you should be careful...

cheers,
brad

Whatever about legal repercussions, people that have not climbed a route should not describe it to others. Even if the copied the information from some other source, which could be out of date / wrong. It is sad and dangerous.

Dave

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook