RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jigs

Aug 9, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Forearm Workout
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is a good way to strengthen your forearms with freeweights?

neadamthal

Aug 9, 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Re: Forearm Workout [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i'm a free white who has used free weights... :roll:

just get a stress ball and just start squeezing it over and over and over and over again...

then buy another one when the first has fallen to pieces and repeat.

or just climb hard!!

did i answer your question?

renobdarb

Aug 9, 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is a good way to strengthen your forearms with freewights?

forget the free weights... just go climbing as much as you can and your forearm strength will come naturally...

-brad

jman

Aug 9, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is something that I do to strength my forearms.

Take an old broom handle about 18" long, drill a hole through the broom handle at the mid point, get a small diamter piece of rope about 5 or 6 feet in length (5 mm diamter works well for me), thread rope through the drilled hole and tie it to the broom handle, tie a free weight to the free end of the rope (start with 5 or 10 lbs). Start by holding the broom handle with two hands at shoulder level and away from your body, with the weight sitting on the ground. Twist the broom handle with alternate hands to lift the weight off the ground and wrap the rope around the handle. When the weight reaches the handle, reverse direction of the twist and slowly lower weight to the ground.

After one or two reps your forearms will burn.

climbingjunky

Aug 9, 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm assuming you want to strenghten your forearms for climbing. Don't bother using freeweights becuase they do not work the same muscles and tendons the way climbing does. Try traversing around the gym until you cant hold on anymore. Incorporate this into your climbing session and you will gain forearm stregth and endurance. Do laps on a particular route that's close to your maximum. Use a hangboard to do some finger pull ups and focus on body tension. Like other's said, climb a lot! But i suggest you climb every other day so that you body can recover from a tough climbing session. :D

trad_man

Aug 10, 2003, 2:23 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i read in r&i couple mags back and it says to get a regular bar bell and put some weights on it and get 2 rags and wrap em around the bar and hold the rags and lift em...iv tried it and it kinda works but not as much as the real thing...climbing :lol:

mattheww

Aug 10, 2003, 3:58 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get Eric J. Horst's book "Training for Climbing". I just bought it and it has some VERY good info on how to target your weak points and build them up. Although it doesn't involve free weights(other than adding weight to a weight belt) try doing some frenchies. Do a standard pull-up with hands facing away from you and hold for 5 sec at the top. Repeat again, but the second time instead of holding 5 seconds at the top lower back down halfway with your arms bent 90 degrees and hold there for 5 seconds. Do it a third time but hold 5 seconds with your arms bent about 120 deg. After that start over again with holding at the top. Do as many as possible until you can't do anymore. If you can do 5 sets of the 3 lockoffs then add 10-20 lbs to a weighted belt.

Partner one900johnnyk

Aug 10, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the best way is probably to boulder.. look for really crimpy problems with poor footholds... if you're in the gym already do finger/forearm curls with a supinated grip... also fingertip pullups are nice (much better on a thin bar!)

overlord

Aug 11, 2003, 10:42 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slopers.

or if you really wat to work with weights. put your forearm on your leg so that the wrist is hanging frome the knee, the palm closing upwars, grab a weight and curl it upwards.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook