RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

princesslisa

May 5, 2003, 5:48 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Mommy-to-be climber needs beta!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am 9 weeks pregnant :D ... and hoping I could get some beta on what my limits are for climbing now. Obviously I know that leading is out of the question. What I would like to confirm is a rumour I heard regarding wearing a body harness or if my regular harness is okay. Also, how about belaying...okay or not? Any info would totally be appreciated.
Thanks!
Lisa

mwbtle

May 5, 2003, 5:50 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mommy-to-be climber needs beta! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to post this in the ladies room...I know there are several women around here who have been discussing this recently.

micahmcguire

May 5, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know, I reckon there must be at least a dozen sports medicine clinics you can call in your area that will either tell you what you want to know, or tell you that you need to come in for a visit (which at that point is good advise). No one here can or SHOULD adequately answer your question. Only a doctor who examines you or knows something about you and your pregnancy can answer this. Have you had any prenatal care, appointments, check-ups and the like? If not, you MUST, your child's life and future could depend on it. If you have (which most intelligent people would) then good for you, you're way ahead of me. And if that's the case, a quick call to the doc who checked you out ought to answer that question.

russmanswife

May 5, 2003, 6:23 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first of all tell your doctor what you are doing and make sure it is okay with him first and that you don't have a high risk pregnancy.

i told me doctor right off the bat and he was fine with it i am also still running and he knows about that just not my mileage. sorry by the way i am almost 6 months pregnant. i did okay up until about 3 1/2 months and between the exhaustion and the change in my center of gravity i had to stop, besides my harness just wasn't fitting right anymore and was just too uncomfortable.

but if it is okay with your doctor go ahead and climb i didn't have any problems like i said until 3 months and then had to stop, we did get a chest harness but i never got to try it so i couldn't tell you if it helped or not but i would highly recommend it if you do climb for awhile it will take some of the pressure off your abdomen and the baby.

congratulations!!
bobbi

princesslisa

May 5, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Micah
Of course i have had prenatal care. Unfourtuantely my docter is not a climber and she knows nothing about climbing. I was posting to get some advice from women who have already been in my situation.
Thanks anyway
lisa

jaylaka

May 5, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off, congrats!! :D

and i do agree that you should talk to your OB/GYN about your questions.

that said, i do think you need to consider safety first, followed by comfort (both mental as well as physical). as for safety, i've seen women TR until their 6th or 7th month. routes that either they're familiar with or confident wtih. comfort-wise, i remember back to my pregnancy. :)

the first trimester, my energy level was at an all time low and my nausea level was at an all time high. second trimester was good: no nausea, and my belly was nice basketball size. third trimester i was mentally and physically ready to be done with the whole pregnancy thing. (to give you an idea, i was 64" tall and 50" around.) :shock:

i walked and did water aerobics and yoga during those last three months. but it really depends on your weight gain and comfort level.

so, once again, congrats. keep us updated!

jen

cedk

May 5, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now is your chance to get really good at traverses.

Oh yeah. Congratulations!!!!

grigriese

May 7, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a woman at LA Rockreation who climbed until she was about 8 1/2, she wore a full body harness the last couple of months. I also have a friend who did big walls while she was pregnant, I think up to 4 or 5 months. I agree - check with a doctor, but I think it is really great that you are still motivated to climb now that you are pregnant. I find that very inspriational!

dar-la-la
Deleted

May 21, 2003, 8:36 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats!
I have a 2 year old son. And it's the most wonderful thing you will ever experience. When I was pregnant I climbed up to my 8th month. Well, by then your huge and the harness doesn't fit anymore and very tired. But I took it easy the whole time. From the 6th month on I stopped leading and just toproping moderate climbs. I think that if you have been climbing before pregnancy and you know your limits, You are going to be just fine. I felt soo great. I had so much energy. And I think that it's very important to stay active while your pregnant. I did a lot of hiking also, and think that staying flexible helped. I didn't tell my Doctor because I knew what he would say. NO! Your the only one that knows your body and what limits there are. My child is very active and loves to boulder around. I don't know if that's because I climbed while pregnant or it 's hereditary. Well, I wish you all the best and hope that I answered some questions. Good Luck! -D-

alisonut

Aug 10, 2003, 7:29 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
Congratulations.
I'm now five months pregnant. About month three I moved into my husband's old harness and stopped leading. I guess it all depends on how you feel. Two weeks ago I went climbing and felt really good I had to finish leading a climb for my partner which turned out to be fine. Right now I think if I climb more I might need a body harness. There isn't much info out there about climbing pregnant but from what I read toproping with a body harness is perfectly safe after three months unless something like a rock happens to fall on your stomache. I always wear a helmet. I'd like to keep climbing. Sometimes I find that reaching up for a hold really stretches the muscles in my stomache. I gave up doing pull ups about month two because my stomache couldn't stand the stretching. I guess all these things depend on how you feel and what you want to do.
Sincerely,
alisonut

overlord

Aug 11, 2003, 12:18 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would guess that you would do no harm to climb until the third trimester. but i reccomend you do mostly, if not exclusevly TR.

and, by the way, congrats on the new addition to the family.

traddad

Aug 13, 2003, 1:17 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and partner climbed into her third trimester (topropes) and I have a wonderful picture of her belaying me on lead at 8 months (gotta scan that one).
Congratulations!!!
Now, how 'bout we talk about controling a 3 year old at the crags.....

hiholm

Nov 3, 2003, 3:12 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a little over 3 months pregnant and just got back from a trip to the Gunks.

Like others on this thread have mentioned, found that my medical professionals didn't know enough about climbing to have very helpful insights on it's implications for pregnancy. I looked at old threads on rc.com and on rec.climbing (you can read it via google) for personal experiences and read general things on exercise and pregnancy.

What I found made me feel comfortable climbing mostly as usual, including pushing it a little on my trad leading (though about 4 grades below my sport limit, so still pretty conservative), until a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't sick at all, and my feet haven't swelled or anything, so those weren't factors.

Just recently, though, I've started to feel my "bump" starting to poke beyond the protective cage of my skeleton, so this weekend I decided to let my sweetie and partner do all the leading. It's a little frustrating, since I felt like I was just starting to get into a groove, but in the bigger picture I know it's not a big deal to put off further progress until next year.

edge

Nov 3, 2003, 3:11 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For what it's worth, here is a cut and paste from the Rock and Ice website, news section:

"Lynn Hill Back In Form
New mother climbing 5.13 in no time
Resting the recommended month after the C-section birth of her son, Owen Merced, in Boulder, April 14, Lynn Hill is back in fighting trim, having shed the 35 pounds she gained during her pregnancy. "I kept climbing through the fifth month [of my pregnancy], but after that it was really unpleasant since my tummy was in the way!" said Hill, now traveling through France with Owen, her husband, Brad Lynch, and her "deaf Dingo," Daisy.

Charging back through the grades, Hill recently "deja-vu'ed" Crush the Skull (5.12d), in Moab's Mill Creek Canyon, and redpointed a 5.13a at Mount Charleston second try. "Time is the only limitation so far," said Hill. "Owen likes to eat often--as in, every two hours or less.""

iamthewallress

Nov 4, 2003, 1:52 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Owen Merced?

edge

Nov 4, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Owen Merced?

Yeah, I heard if it was a girl, it would have been "Red River Gorgeous"...

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook