Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

crag

Aug 13, 2003, 7:11 PM
Post #51 of 57 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to quit climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Crag"--So, how does that hook feel??

What's with the double post? A little too giddy with your friends successful troll?

To make yours and Josh's little circle jerk complete I think I should say, "like sh*t." And as far as Josh's accomplishments if you're basing it on the numbers then I'd say bullsh*t. If your bro is burned out it is most likely because he's been climbing for the wrong reasons hence his supposed lack of a social life and if you climb with him often then how do you feel as his friend.

craggy

Aug 13, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #52 of 57 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quit. Like a bad smoking addiction -> too much of ANYTHING is BAD FOR YOU! If you are letting climbing take up all your time then it's not healthy. Why you can't moderate climbing is beyond me... I do it very well... I have no idea why you went from a well-balanced, socially acceptable individual into the dark, obsessed, outcast that you are today. That's your issue to deal with, but apparently climbing isn't going to help your cause... Dude, you need serious therapy. Then again you could just be looking for attention... so whatever, climb don't climb... I don't even know you so I can't give you the best advise -> ask your family or close friends (the ones you still have), not a bunch of strangers who are just as addicted to climbing as you....

ciao
Dylan

takeme

Aug 13, 2003, 7:59 PM
Post #53 of 57 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"Crag"--So, how does that hook feel??

What's with the double post? A little too giddy with your friends successful troll?

To make yours and Josh's little circle jerk complete I think I should say, "like sh*t." And as far as Josh's accomplishments if you're basing it on the numbers then I'd say bullsh*t. If your bro is burned out it is most likely because he's been climbing for the wrong reasons hence his supposed lack of a social life and if you climb with him often then how do you feel as his friend.

If you feel "like sh*t" it's your own damn fault--you brought the troll on yourself by flaming Josh's initial post (which was not a troll, by the way). Reading your response to his "troll", it was pretty obvious to me that you get quite a kick out of picking on gymbies who think they've accomplished a lot. Of course Josh doesn't fall into that category at all, which makes the whole thing pretty funny for me.

So it doesn't suprise me that you're calling "bullsh*t" because someone says they've achieved "a lot". Tough guy, eh? I doubt most people would argue that you have to climb 5.14 or V10 to achieve "a lot", which is a pretty vague term. Regardless, I'll reiterate that anyone with an open mind would be impressed with the traditional routes Josh has done after only 2 years, I guarantee that.

You ask how I feel as his friend: well, I feel bad for him. I know the issue is real, but I'm not sure what to do to help him, although I've offered some suggestions. Trouble is, I have some of the same problems, although I've been climbing much longer so they take different forms, e.g. too often I obsess by sitting around and dreaming rather than going and doing. And sure, Josh could go off to Greenland, or climb A5--that's entirely beside the point, because he's on track to do that kind of stuff already.

Charles

crag

Aug 14, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #54 of 57 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles & Josh,

For what it’s worth I have a bad habit of overreacting. If in fact, if both of you are being truthful not only with Josh’s initial post, Charles’s follow-ups and subsequent PMs I owe both of you an apology. I said in a PM to Josh that I was taken aback by his original post that someone, who by their own admission was accomplished, was thinking about quitting was just absurd to me. But then again during my 20 plus years of climbing across this great land of ours I’ve never thought once about quitting.

I’ve been participating in online forums since there were online forums and because of my somewhat overzealousness I’ve been burned too many times when I was laying it out there for the rest to see, hence the use of an alias and lack of personal info on my profile.

Josh, if you truly feel that there is an imbalance in your life then something needs to be done about it. Look to diversify your climbing, whether it is through traveling abroad or taking-up guiding. It would be a shame to have you leave the climbing community altogether. Also I would think the fires that fuel your abilities on the rock also would work equally as well not only in other physical activities but other areas too. Like a business venture etc…. it doesn’t have to be climbing related is my point.

I have had the fortunate experience to have worked with many young people over the years and what I enjoy the most is when I meet someone that the light burns brightly for. The possibilities are endless. So many of my middle aged friends are stuck in a rut, which is nothing more than a grave with the ends kicked out. They laugh at me when they see me training for yet another climbing trip or the fact that I like being cold and wet for days on end.

Take sometime to revaluate your climbing, take a trip to the beach and go surfing, put it down and walk away. It will always be there, even when you’re away from it you’ll still be a climber.

Good Luck and see ya in the hills.

apollodorus

Aug 14, 2003, 6:03 AM
Post #55 of 57 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The old timers will tell you it's really easy: just don't drink."
- Bobby Dahl, late of Poison

collegekid

Aug 14, 2003, 6:36 AM
Post #56 of 57 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ordinary life is simply too boring to be satisfying. So keep climbing.

If you are experiencing mental burn-out, then take some time off, and do other activities to fill your time. When you return to climbing, you'll have a renewed interest.

I get burned out on my activities all the time...whenever i start to be too serious about something, i lose interest, and switch over to a different activity. Once you're no longer having fun, you should stop.

Or you might want to give trad climbing a break for a while, and go hang out at a local bouldering spot or something.

takeme

Aug 14, 2003, 5:26 PM
Post #57 of 57 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crag,

Thanks for your thoughts. I especially like the bit about avoiding the "grave with the end kicked out". I think that is a big part of why I climb!

Charles

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook