First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

trekker17

Aug 22, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #1 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

My List of Colleges
Report this Post
Can't Post

With my senoir year of high school starting on Monday, I am really starting to get serious about my college possiblities. Especially in the past week, I have been looking at colleges all over and trying to decide where I might be interested in going. I really want a place that has good climbing (predominately bouldering) nearby. I am also into hiking and sailing so access to those is a consideration, but not a priority. I also want a school that is environmentally aware and offers a degree program in environmental studies or something similar. Well, here is the list I have going so far:

SUNY College at New Paltz
Brevard College in Brevard, NC
Williams College in Williamston, MA
Fort Lewis College in Durango, CO
The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA
Sheldon Jackson College in Sitka, AK
Bowdoin College in Brunswick, ME
Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA
Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH
Warren Wilson College in Asheville, NC
Middlebury College in Middlebury, VT

In case you're wondering, I do have very good grades (should be valedictorian) and did well on my ACTs/SATs. Also, it is kind of funny that all of the colleges I am thinking of attending and listed were in included in "Outside Magazine's 40 Best Colleges" even though I made the list before I bought the issue yesterday.

Anyways, all of your thoughts and suggestions would be of great help. Thanks.

dave1970

Aug 22, 2003, 5:17 AM
Post #2 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Re: My List of Colleges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what did you make on your act/sat respectively?

curt

Aug 22, 2003, 5:22 AM
Post #3 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, for climbing, I am a bit surprised that you didn't include any colleges from California, Colorado or Arizona. However, from your list, SUNY New Paltz would be the obvious choice. What is your intended major?

Curt

trekker17

Aug 22, 2003, 5:38 AM
Post #4 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On my ACTs I got a 32 and on the SATs I got a 1400. I would like to major in environmental studies/science, geology, or geography depending on what is offered.

moabbeth

Aug 22, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #5 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what you want to study. And if you want year round climbing. If you want that, any SoCal school would work. We have Joshua Tree nearby, there's bouldering up at Horse Flats, and tons of climbing areas from Tahquitz at 2 hours away to Bishop and Yosemite about 4-5 hrs away. And you could sail, surf, kayak, etc. And there's tons of hiking in the LA area.

You can climb year-round here, which is why I love living here. You should check out some of the San Diego area schools...lots of fun and gorgeous locations. You'll be sitting inside climbing gyms in the winter with some of those schools on your list.

But if those are the kind of schools you're looking at, give a looksee to Western State College in Gunnison, CO. Party school and Gunny has a lot of good outside stuff within a day's drive. Or what about UC Boulder?? That would be high on my list if I had the kind of test scores you do.

jerryw

Aug 22, 2003, 6:18 AM
Post #6 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH
Yeah man!! :D

And on a more serious note: while we have a pretty decent env. studies/geology department, it's not really considered "well-known" in the country. And to live in Hanover, you also *really* need to like winter weather. Really.

But the summer here is beautiful. Absolutely wonderful. :)

alvchen

Aug 22, 2003, 6:54 AM
Post #7 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure about their environmental studies programs, but Santa Clara U., Stanford, and Cal Berkeley are all near bouldering areas and the ocean for sailing?

naitch

Aug 22, 2003, 12:05 PM
Post #8 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about any of them but Humboldt - I graduated from there 25 years ago. One of the most beautiful places I've been. Mountains are not far away (Trinity Alps), redwood trees, hills start right at the college, pasture land, rivers, beaches, bays - what else can you ask for. I wasn't into climbing back then but have since heard of limited climbing in the area. If you are wanting close proximity to a climbing mecca, this is probably not it. They have excellent environmental studies and geography - or at least did 25 years ago. (I graduated with a geography degree)

apeygrapey

Aug 22, 2003, 1:02 PM
Post #9 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have you considered UC Santa Cruz? it fulfills all your requirements: bouldering, sailing, hiking, and good academics - plus you don't get grades - how cool is that?!

and of course, you shouldn't overlook Berkeley. it has an excellent environmental studies program - i considered majoring in it but decided to study cell biology instead.

dsafanda

Aug 22, 2003, 1:05 PM
Post #10 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to Bowdoin. Great school. At the time I didn't climb but in fact you'd be with in driving distance of some very good climbing in NewHampshire and Maine. You're practically be on the ocean so sailing is ofcoarse always nearby.

phishy_climber

Aug 22, 2003, 1:47 PM
Post #11 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brevard is a great place because of its close proximity to worldclass bouldering/climbing. Looking Glass and Cedar Rock are both in Brevard and Rumbling Bald is close by too. Also Appalachian State is in Boone and has some great bouldering and is worth looking into.

braaaaaaaadley

Aug 22, 2003, 1:56 PM
Post #12 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently going to a small college in southwestern va called Emory &Henry. If you are interested in a small college atmosphere visit this website: www.ehc.edu . I am double majoring in geography and environmental studies. We have many places to climb, there is sailing nearby on lake holston, skiing, mountainbiking etc. By the way naitch, just for cureocity, what are you currently doing with your geography degree?

dgt2n

Aug 22, 2003, 2:01 PM
Post #13 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

apply to all of them, and your list will (hopefully) be narrowed down for you. i applied to 10 schools, and only got into half of them...any more and you're not applying to the right schools.

it made my decision MUCH easier (ended up at UVa, which should be on your list by the way). :)

if not, i have a feeling that your visits will tell you all you need to know. everyone here has there own opinions, which will always differ from your own. go with your gut and your heart and you wont be disappointed.

p.s. you can always go to grad school someplace else....

braaaaaaaadley

Aug 22, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #14 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you kidding me? UVA is not the place to go if you like the outdoors... I mean it is close to shanendoah, but you have to drive to get to the goods. The only good part about uva is their frat parties :twisted:

flyinghatchet

Aug 22, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #15 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about UC Boulder? I'm only starting 9th grade but I already want to go to that school sooooo bad.

gretchino

Aug 22, 2003, 2:32 PM
Post #16 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should also be considering how large of a school you would like. I went to UCSB and majored in geography (one of the best geography departments in the nation...we're backed by JPL - Jet propultion Lab) but I would never go there if I had to 'do it all over again'. The school was WAY too large...900+ students in some of my lower division classes was just a tad too many for my liking.

You really can't go wrong with California for what you described (out of state tuition sucks though).

Just something to keep in mind when your narrowing down..good luck to you!

Partner kimgraves

Aug 22, 2003, 2:51 PM
Post #17 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Bard College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jeff,

Take a look at Bard College as well (I graduated in 1980). (www.bard.edu) It’s only 40 minutes north of New Paltz, but a much better school than SUNY. It had a very good environmental studies program when I was there – I was a physic’s major. It’s become much more competitive recently so is filled with very bright kids. The student / teacher ratio is vary small. In most of my major classes I was one of 4 students. And I never had a class larger than 25. I think it’s now a student body of around 1200 so there will be plenty of people to get to know. It’s a serious school for serious students. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll put you in touch with my friend in the admissions office.

Kim

renobdarb

Aug 22, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #18 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would seriously check Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff... it has everything you're looking for, academically and recreationally... Priest Draw is world-class when it comes to bouldering, and the school has very good programs when it comes to forestry, parks & rec., environmental science and environmental journalism...

-brad

dpurf

Aug 22, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #19 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a reason they call Fort Lewis College, Fort loser. Even though it is in the greats place on earth, the San Juan Mountain. It is not that great of place to get your degree. Listen to Moabeth, Western State is a great college. Also CU in Boulder. One that was left off the list was CSU in Fort Collins Co. I think they offer the degree you are looking for. There are some great climbing in that area too. I know it does not stand up to the Boulder area, but the school is good.

good luck

DPurf

scrappydoo

Aug 22, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #20 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

U. of Colorado is the only college in a town that has both a climbing website AND Bouldering website devoted to it.

www.climbingboulder.com

and I can't remember the bouldering website address.

Milder winters are good for climbing year round.

Oh yeah, the have really good earth sciences programs

mattm

Aug 22, 2003, 4:40 PM
Post #21 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another vote for Dartmouth (class of 01)

Rumney - 45min away - Cannon and other big granite cliff are within 2hrs or so. Huge outdoorsy student body - Heck, the AT runs through campus. Winter is winter - ICE climbing in New England is some of the best around. Like skiing? Killington is 30 min away and Dart has got its own mtn you can hit after class - One of my friends skied 4 days a week!

Biggest thing to consider is this - what's campus life like? seriously - if you don't like living there with the people there - who cares what is close and what kind of depts there are. Dartmouth was (is) one of the best experiences of my life - visit and see what you think. Best people on earth. Be sure to contact people from the DMC (Dartmouth Mountaineering Club) if you do do a campus visit.

killclimbz

Aug 22, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #22 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
U. of Colorado is the only college in a town that has both a climbing website AND Bouldering website devoted to it.

www.climbingboulder.com

and I can't remember the bouldering website address.

Milder winters are good for climbing year round.

Oh yeah, the have really good earth sciences programs

www.frontrangebouldering.com

There is more climbing around Boulder and within two hours than any of the other places mentioned combined.

trbrts

Aug 22, 2003, 5:26 PM
Post #23 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you, not choosing the University of Utah. There isn't any climbing anywhere near that place. And the skiing, totally sucks.

dudeguy

Aug 22, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #24 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trekker. I am currently in Humboldt and I love it. I can drive 5-10 minutes to the beach, I can also boulder on the beach. Lots of coastline to boulder on, pretty much find any beach, look for nice rock and climb it. Some of the rock here breaks off, but some doesn't. Theres lots of climbing in the trinity alps, don't know about bouldering tho. Plenty of mountain biking. Only problem is, the wet season is pretty wet, and I don't think theres any indoor gyms up here. I used to live about 30 min from Berkeley and I'd reccomend that. The whole bay area has many gyms, bouldering, and climbing spots. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is great too. Weather is pretty nice, beach is close by, lots of climbing. Santa Cruz is great, San Diego is good too, always sunny. I had the grades for all these places and I still ended up here. I think there might be less climbing here in comparison to other places, but its good stuff. Bouldering on the beach at sunset is just incredible. The vibe up here is also so much more relaxed, laid back, happy, and just better than any other school I visited. Just my $.02

-Ian

bluto

Aug 22, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #25 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bard College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It’s a serious school for serious students

I believe this is Burt Bronson's Alma Matter

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All