Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

calfcramp

Aug 19, 2003, 1:49 PM
Post #1 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Rope bag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey there,

I got a rope in June. I've been climbing about 10 times since. I've only used the rope about 3 times? Math doesn't work right? Well, it's cause we've always used someone else's rope. Thing is, I'm getting sick of having this coil around my neck hiking to the crag. As cool as I look carrying it (heh, heh), it's getting to be a pain in the ass

Question: Which bag is the best as a rope bag/tarp/other miscellaneous crap bag?

Thanks,

Chris

joegoesup

Aug 19, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #2 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rope bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ocun has a nice rope bag available at acmeclimbing.com. It has a tarp that rolls up inside the bag and straps to carry it on your back.

bandycoot

Aug 19, 2003, 2:47 PM
Post #3 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like the metolius rope bag (I have two). There is only one small pocket in it, but if you want you can roll other stuff up into it with the rope. It is a very functional and sturdy bag (mine has been used a LOT for years and is going strong). Just don't be a moron cheapo and get the one with one strap that goes over one shoulder. It is cheaper, but OMG is it more uncomfortable! I have a bunch of friends that got that one because it was on sale and it flops around while hiking and stuff. In short, whatever rope bag you get make sure it has backpack straps!

Josh

strongbad

Aug 19, 2003, 2:50 PM
Post #4 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Advanced Base Camp's rope bag is great and its cheap.

http://www.gx.starvedrockoutfitters.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=5369

lollipopchic

Aug 19, 2003, 2:55 PM
Post #5 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the Edelrid one and that's pretty good, nice and simple. Quite cheap too.

keinangst

Aug 19, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #6 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a Cassin bag from climbaxe.com, and it holds my 50m rope, plus all my webbing, draws, slings, biners, etc, and has backpack straps. $20. :lol:

It could easily hold two ropes inside, so it's definitely very versatile. Large, roll-up tarp.

petsfed

Aug 19, 2003, 4:30 PM
Post #7 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the metolius rope bag. For sport climbing the rope ranger (the one with two straps) is the best hands down. A few gear loops on the outside and it would be perfect.

Partner coldclimb

Aug 19, 2003, 4:36 PM
Post #8 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just don't be a moron cheapo and get the one with one strap that goes over one shoulder. It is cheaper, but OMG is it more uncomfortable! I have a bunch of friends that got that one because it was on sale and it flops around while hiking and stuff.

Thanks, but you're about a month too late for me. :lol: :lol: I got that one with a rope because both were on sale, so I saved 40 bucks. The way I fix the flopping around problem is to put the strap over my head as well as my shoulder and carry it like a sling. It works fine, but if you've got the money, go for the other one. It's a great bag.

Partner camhead

Aug 19, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a Bittersweet rope bag– they make several models. Plus, all of their employees got knocked down to commission only for $$$, so you should really patronize them. hehe.

http://www.bittersweetgear.com/

t-dog
Deleted

Aug 19, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #10 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should look into the Sickle rope pack. It's the shiznatty!!!!
It's basically a small backpack with two straps. It's really comfortable to carry around and has lots of room inside. I've packed the crap out of it before and managed to fit a 60m rope, draws, TR gear and my harness all in there.

Partner one900johnnyk

Aug 19, 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #11 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got a rope bag but i'd rather not use it any more. just get a pack that's big enough for a rope, harness, your rack (if you don't need it now, you will eventually) and a tarp (which you can stitch into the pack if it makes you feel much better. ... my rope bag holds my rope, slings, stoppers and i have every thing else hanging off of it. booo

moabbeth

Aug 20, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #12 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not get a Black Diamond rope bag. I did when I started climbing. What a waste of cash. One strap so it's a pain in the arse to carry. The bag itself is too big for the rope so it flops around alot. It's just bad.

Go with the Metolius suggestions people have been giving you. I envy my friends with the Metolius rope bags, those things are awesome. Easy to store your rope, easy to carry.

calfcramp

Aug 20, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #13 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool. Metolius seems to be the winner. OR is the big backpack the winner? Any other segestchuns?

zeta

Aug 20, 2003, 5:33 AM
Post #14 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I vote for the perfect-sized backpack--not a rope bag. I have a great old North Face skinny pack (perfect for climbing and backcountry skiing). Fits the rope, shoes, harness, and quickdraws (don't have a rack yet, but when i do, there's room). I've climbed w/ the pack on multipitch and it cinches down well and doesn't slide around much. I just keep forgetting to bring a tarp! I'd rather spend my dinero on something else.

guz

Aug 20, 2003, 7:46 AM
Post #15 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if you have them in the US, but in Europe you can get the best rope bags at IKEA. These blue bags have just the right size, are indestructible and cost only 1 Euro (1 Dollar).

-Guz

redpoint73

Aug 20, 2003, 11:19 AM
Post #16 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do not get a Black Diamond rope bag. I did when I started climbing. What a waste of cash. One strap so it's a pain in the arse to carry. The bag itself is too big for the rope so it flops around alot. It's just bad.

Go with the Metolius suggestions people have been giving you. I envy my friends with the Metolius rope bags, those things are awesome. Easy to store your rope, easy to carry.

I agree with all of the above. The BD ropebag has a smaller tarp, and does not compress the rope down at all. The Metolius bag is sweet. Your rope easily rolls up into it, then gets compressed down to a small size with the draw cord. It also has a nicely padded carrying strap.

The link given above for the ABC ropebag looks pretty cool. It looks like a copy of the Metolius design, but $20 cheaper. Whether the quality is as high as the Metolius bag, I cannot say.

punk

Aug 20, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #17 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The BD is the best rope bag…
It take any rope made out there, it is including double 70. On the climb it easily converted to rope bucket
I can see when some novice will have a problem of packing it correctly…but that’s why they are novice ;).
Pack it with long strokes and you have tons of room for your draws and gear then ware it over the shoulder (like a gear sling)

calfcramp

Aug 21, 2003, 11:59 PM
Post #18 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, as far as a plain old backpack goes, how big, in terms of litres or cubic ft, whatever would y'all recommend? Tarp is cheap, my Dad's got tons of it.

rockzen

Aug 22, 2003, 10:31 PM
Post #19 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MEC makes a rope bag that you can wear as a backpack. Probably not available outside of Canada... but it is ok. It fits my rope, all my webbing (and i usually take a lot of webbing), and a few extras.

RockZen

theying

Aug 22, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #20 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the ABC rope bag, they are inexpensive and work great.

meatball

Aug 23, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #21 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just purchased a Kelty origami bag. Haven't taken it to the crag yet, but it is kind of the best of both worlds if you're having trouble deciding between a rope bag or backpack. It is a backpack that has a unique way of unfolding so everything in it is ridiculously accessible (no more digging in the bottom of a pack). Also it has a built-in romovable ropebag, compression straps, about ten daisy chains, many compartments, and zippered pockets for valuables. Perfect for all of my gear (sport rack, rope, harness, shoes, meal, headlamp, etc.). Might be a bit tight if you're traddin' it. Runs about $75...actually pretty cheap if you're considering buying a backpack. PERFECT size for a day-cragger like myself.

ikefromla

Aug 23, 2003, 2:39 AM
Post #22 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius (single strap is FINE) or Bluewater.

madclimberboy

Aug 23, 2003, 2:52 AM
Post #23 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have two ropes and consequently two rope bags -- both Black Diamond Super Slacker Bags. They have a large tarp great for at the bottom of a sport route and also convert into a rope bucket on multi-pitch climbs (among other excellent features). It is generally priced around $37.50 and is available at pretty much most climbing retailers -- Northern Mtn. Supply may have a discount on them. All in all --the Super Slacker is definitely worth the buy.

Matt

moabbeth

Aug 23, 2003, 3:28 AM
Post #24 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can see when some novice will have a problem of packing it correctly…but that’s why they are novice ;).
Pack it with long strokes and you have tons of room for your draws and gear then ware it over the shoulder (like a gear sling)

Well, I climb with really seasoned climbers and they hate the damn thing too. :roll:

And using it like a gear sling is a giant pain in the ass. Especially if you stuff more than just the rope in there. It's not good for the back (unlike the Metolius, which folds into a nice tight backpack). And it swings around and is bulky. If you're doing some 5 minute approach to go sport climb, well yeah then it's no big deal. But if you're hiking that long steep approach to Tahquitz, it's a giant pain in the butt...and shoulders, and back.

apollodorus

Aug 23, 2003, 10:10 AM
Post #25 of 29 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just get a small backpack, like a bookbag thing you find at a garage sale.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook