Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Seeking guidebook for Bighorns, Wyoming
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

renobdarb

Aug 25, 2003, 2:44 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Seeking guidebook for Bighorns, Wyoming  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Northern: Priest_Draw: Triangle_boulder)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know of a guidebook for climbing areas in the Bighorns? even if it's just a crappy little pamphlet or something?

-brad

mike_gibson

Aug 25, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Re: Seeking guidebook for Bighorns, Wyoming [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a funny one.

Actually there is one guide pamphlet for tongue river canyon by Dayton which is fairly decent. The only place I know that sells it is Big Horn Mtn sports in sheridan. They can also give you some info on others areas like steamboat rock. Shell canyon on the west side has some established routes but I have never heard of anyone publishing anything on them. Shell canyon has some nice granite and it is easy to get to, but findng the routes is not easy.

As far as the peaks in the cloud peak wildnerness area like blacktooth, falcon press has a very old guide written by Owens maybe 20 or 30 years ago. Might find it thru a rare book dealer.

Did you have any luck finding stuff in tensleep canyon?

renobdarb

Aug 25, 2003, 4:17 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Mike! glad to see ya here... thanks for the info... haven't been out to Ten Sleep yet, but i went up Cloud Peak last week... car-to-car in 13 hours...

how's that noggin of yours mending up? when you're good and ready let me know and we'll hit the Tower again...

take it easy,
brad

mike_gibson

Aug 27, 2003, 2:58 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Brad, I gave you the wrong info on the big horn guide. Of course you should know better than to trust a guy with brain trauma. The following is a guide to all mountains in wyoming. Amazon has a couple copies for sale. The latest edition was published in 1977. The first edition was published in 1960

Guide to the Wyoming Mountains and Wilderness Areas: Climbing Routes and Back Country, American Rating System
by Orin H. Bonney, Orrin H. Bonney, Lorraine G. Bonney

The above was also broken into seperate sections by region. The following is also in the previously listed.

Field book, the Big Horn Range, including geology & Cloud Peak Wilderness : climbing routes & back country, American rating system
by Orrin H. Bonney

rocknut1

Aug 27, 2003, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Falcon Guides publishes a very detailed book on the Big Horns and Cloud Peak Wilderness Area. Any fishing shop or outfitter in Buffalo, WY has it. Trails Illustrated also has a few good maps of the area. Try the Sports Lure in Buffalo I know they have it or try Amazon.com if you not from the area. If you need any more info let me know. I am from Wisconsin but have 60+ days in the Big Horns in the last 4 years and just got back from a 10 day trip 3 weeks ago.

couch_climber

Aug 27, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say check with BigHorn Mtn Sports in Sheridan - 307-672-6866 (I think they have a new name now, shifting of ownership). There is some great local beta out there aside from the published stuff. If you can track down Steve E he has a lot of first hand knowledge.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I thought I'd contribute a bit.

petsfed

Aug 27, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Failing that, just ask the locals. Most of Wyoming is like that anymore.

alpinerockfiend

Aug 27, 2003, 7:07 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For alpine routes, there is always the American Alpine Journal. I know that I've seen at least a few routes from the Bighorns in there. I'm sorry I can't remember which issues.... Go to the library and browse.

wu-tang
Deleted

Sep 14, 2003, 9:11 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the beta on this site should help for 10sleep, although it is missing maybe 200 routes. drop me a line and i can provide something or give you hookups in the town. 300+ routes and more every single freakin' week.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook