RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coldclimb

Oct 3, 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #1 of 6 (686 views)
Shortcut

One of my own:
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been told that this is my best pic, and I agree, so I'm wondering what I can do to improve on this. It was taken with a timer, as I was alone at the time. You can rate it at http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=15175 if you care to. :)

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=15175

melekzek

Oct 3, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #2 of 6 (686 views)
Shortcut

Re: One of my own: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Somehow it doesnt click me, I do not like the framing. First there is some stones or walls in the ground which are very very low in the picture and cut of, makes me wondering what was there? The green hills are great, but than the snowy ridges are too far/low. If they were looming above the green hills that that would have been great. The rock itself has too dark features, and the sharp shadow is distracting. Your pants are black, hiding any footwork detail, and i cannot see your other leg.
It is very nice timing because it is shot with a timer. Your reach is pretty good, it looks really "real". I would crop a little from the left, placing the climber in vertically offcentered composition.

justuspr

Oct 3, 2003, 2:48 AM
Post #3 of 6 (686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I agree with Melekzek on two points, the black pants, and the stone field low in the frame...

I might crop just a bit off the bottom, I like the contrast that you get from the dark rock and the bright blue sky. The snow capped peaks might be a little distracting, but I like them in there, it places the photo well.

Overall I think its a beautifull shot, definately your best on the site.

biff

Oct 3, 2003, 5:14 AM
Post #4 of 6 (686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definatly your best photo.

I agree about the pants. Tan pants would have been nice.
I think melekzek's monitor is a litte dark, since I can easily see your foot, and most of the features of the rock.
like the darkness of the rock, and I think the framing is prety darn good for being on a timer.
The mountains look really nice, and so do the green hill.
I am also a fan of clouds.

If you had time / someone else there, It would probably have been a better shot had the camera been at about the same level as the climber. That way the mountains would look bigger in the distance.

krillen

Oct 3, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #5 of 6 (686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice shot, esp. by yourself!

1.) your subject (you) is dead-center. When people see your pic, they see you, and then there is no where for your eye to travel.

2.) I agree you bottom half tends to blend into the rock

3.) There's too much in your picture, it's confusing. You have: the climber, ther great black rock, the mountains, the green hill, the blue sky, and the valley. there are about 10 great shots there. Try minimizing, while still keeping your subject the main portion of the shot.

unabonger

Jan 2, 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #6 of 6 (686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like this shot. It captures the spirit of bouldering: solitude, mountains, sky, rock.

I like the dark pants. You are emerging from the climb and the dark pants keep the eye from being distracted from your reach, which is the interesting thing.

I disagree that there is "too much" in the photo. There is just enough to evoke the themes I mention above. Some shots, it is true, should be simpler--this one benefits from the various aspects.

Edited to add: Sometimes dead center is ok--the weight of the photo, in this case, is altered by the heavy darkness of the rock on the left side of the frame...the eye IS drawn there because of this...

UnaBonger

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook