RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

gat

Oct 3, 2003, 8:23 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2676 views)
Shortcut

WV - Dolly Sods
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone bouldered at/on Lionshead at the Dolly Sods? I am aware that it's a wildnerness area. When I have climbed there we bouldered w/ no chalk. Just curious... my friends and I can't be the only ones to get there and think - "Hey, now that's a nice problem". We have gone backpacking there many times and always take our climbing shoes for Lionshead. Only drawback is pretty much all of the falls are onto uneven rock and it's a long way to anywhere if something goes wrong.

Anyone aware of any compiled list of these climbs or keep their own list?

There is one right leaning crack on an boulder (approx 25 ft high) that is absolutely perfect. Easy by bouldering standards, but still awesome.

reddragon

Oct 4, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2676 views)
Shortcut

Re: WV - Dolly Sods [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not aware of any compiled lists, but I too, take my climbing shoes everytime I head out that way.

Excellent way to break up a backpacking trip and the climbing is quite fun.

lizaroo

Oct 7, 2003, 12:48 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, let me know where this place is! I live in Berkeley Springs, WV and I am looking for people to climb with and places to climb.

gat

Oct 7, 2003, 1:34 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Liz.

The Dolly Sods Wildnerness Area is not too far from Seneca Rocks. If you were going to drive that far, then I would guess you'd probably just head to Seneca or Nelson Rocks. The Sods is a great dayhike/backpacker destination. Lionshead is in the middle of the wildnerness area - by memory I'd guess the shortest car to Lionshead hike would be about 3 miles of somewhat strenuous hiking. I have often thought if I lived closer (I am 4 hrs away in Pittsburgh) it would make a great day to walk/trail run in, boulder then walk/run out. If you do decide to make the trip, please keep in mind that a fall could have very bad consequences.

Wether you go for a hike or to climb, be sure to check the place out if you get a chance - it's an amazing view. FYI, I used to work at an outdoor store, and many people told me "I never found Lionshead". When looking at a trail map of the Dolly Sods, look for the Breathed Mtn Trail. This trail skirts Breathed Mtn, the spur (or point) of Breathed Mtn is Lionshead. Easiest Access is from the Ranger station at the southern end of forest rd 75. Head up Red Creek Trail for about .75 miles, then left across Red Creek to head up Little Stone Coal (about 1 mile up hill). Make a right at the top of Little Stone Coal onto Breathed Mtn Trail. Walk about 10 or 15 minutes looking for the cairn on the left of the trail. Follow the lightly worn trail up to the stand of Pine trees. Make a right and follow the pine rows to their end. Welcome to Lionshead. FYI: Please verify this on a map, my memory may have faded - I said Little Stonecoal and it may be Big Stonecoal - they are both trails in the Sods one of them takes you closer to Lionshead.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook