Forums: Community: Campground:
Alter egos ! What do you do in every day life?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

rck_climber

Feb 13, 2002, 10:10 PM
Post #26 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Alter egos ! What do you do in every day life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a Barrel-Chested, Steely-Eyed Killer for the US Government so tell all your friends, I'm going to need a job in 5 months.

Mick

jsm280

Feb 13, 2002, 10:31 PM
Post #27 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I make stuff.....

I help inventors and companies get products to market.... from scratch you know.... I specilize in mechinizmmm design and do consulting for the entire product development proccess. You name it I can create it or know people who can.

education background is ME and EE with a little bussiness thrown in there.
Professional 8+ years developing concepts and helping others with the proccess.

Official job title:
Grunt Laboror

mitchal

Feb 13, 2002, 10:31 PM
Post #28 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I install hardware on store displays for the "high end" store and vendors,Ralph Loren,Tommy H,Cole Haan,etc.No glamor here,just figuring out why the department before mine screwed them up and figuring out how to fix them.

climberchic

Feb 13, 2002, 10:37 PM
Post #29 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Well, here in L.A., they sort of are the climbing masses, but they are not nerds. On the contrary, they tend to be chic, yuppy climber-wannabes -- the same ones who drive to the crags in Audi sports cars and climb at urban crags with those silly two-way radios.

I don't know. Do you think these people are cool? People like that would feel very out of place at the crags I go to. In fact, I know a few climbers that would might eat them alive. So, to them, are we not chic or cool enough because we don't have their money or toys? Really, what authority does any genre of people have to classify any other as nerds? I think we've all got our supa cool qualities and we all have some issues that need work.

Speaking of Audi's though, you may enjoy this...I was at REI the other day for their garage sale and this cute looking girl (20-something) gets on line to get a ticket. She had the dark rimmed glasses, dreads tied up with a scarf, and too-expensive-to-be-hippy-clothes hippy clothes (you know the ones). She gets her ticket, then hops into the big ole' honkin' Volvo in front and chugs on down the road.

Cool? Not really. Nerd? Absolutley not (I really dug those glasses )

[ This Message was edited by: climberchic on 2002-02-13 14:43 ]

grizzly

Feb 13, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #30 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoy the lavish lifestyle of a lowly student/lab tech. I'm thinking about retiring in my mid-twenties to pursue the American Dream.

orestes1724

Feb 13, 2002, 11:07 PM
Post #31 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i go to school and im in 10th grade, i have no car so i dont go anywhere, no money so i dont do anything. i climb at the gyn im the winter...and outside every weekend and during the week in the other seasons. i go buildering sometimes after school with MY TRIPLETTS!!!

saltspringer

Feb 13, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #32 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm, where do I fit in? I'm a part-time projectionist at our local cinema and a fine-art photographer the rest of the time (www.saltspring.com/twobrothers) and the people I climb with come from quite a variety of backgrounds as well. Maybe it's just that a certain segment of the climbing world actually has the time or incentive to log on to a climbing site!

mspiddles

Feb 13, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #33 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wanna be a ski bum.

Parents have other Ideas

backtrack

Feb 13, 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #34 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Disenchanted business major just crossing her wee little fingers for those marketing classes... (hoping they're just a little more creative than accounting please); wake up every morning at sevenish to go to class, then work till about five or six during the week, then spend as the rest of the nights on indoor walls. so i don't have a life... [shrugs]... also delve in poetry and fencing; does that make me even "nerdier"?

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 14, 2002, 12:02 AM
Post #35 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I inspect Nuclear Power Plants around the country, and since I drive to them, I get to climb around the country.

Oh yea... I only work in the Spring and The Fall.

rrrADAM

downshift

Feb 14, 2002, 12:51 AM
Post #36 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets see... By day I am a Telecommunications Analyst for a local municipality. What that means is I administer anything associated with telecommunications for the municipality. Can't complain it give be the resources to climb. Now by night.... Well that's a secret.

[ This Message was edited by: downshift on 2002-02-13 17:05 ]

paintinhaler

Feb 14, 2002, 1:10 AM
Post #37 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never get egos, I wake up after 1st hour and bam I'm at school again

hangerlessbolt

Feb 14, 2002, 1:27 AM
Post #38 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm...

I am the distribution and logistics manager for an educational publishing and supply company in South Orange county California.
Which translates to;

I empower, improvise, and play on the computer.

Growing up, I changed schools 13 times. (Long story)
Student council president by my sophomore year. Played football through junior high and high school. Went to state in track, made straight A's my senior year.
Joined the Marine Corps...in my off time,
Competed in Tae Kwon Do...
Worked hard in various supervisory positions
Moved from Texas to SoCal...
Go to school at nights for Business...

I climb in the gym a few times a week, and hit the local SoCal climbing spots on most weekends.

scotia

Feb 14, 2002, 1:40 AM
Post #39 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

student, musician, and I have a job at R.E.I.

paintinhaler

Feb 14, 2002, 2:27 AM
Post #40 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't want to be mean but, I thoght saltspringer had passed away.

passthepitonspete

Feb 14, 2002, 2:32 AM
Post #41 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What the.....what the hail am I?

Grade school and high school:

Quintessential nerd. Not "popular", not "cool." Didn't have a date til I was 16 I think. Very very young-looking. A huge disadvantage in high school (I was 75 pounds in Grade 9 and looked about ten years old!) Definite loner, except for playing trombone in the high school band.

University:

Bachelor of Chemical Engineering and Business Management, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Class of '82. Fits the pattern mentioned above, eh?

Got heavily involved in exploration of some of the world's great cave systems during university. Found out I could climb rocks, and put up a lot of trad first ascents in Ontario in very trad style. It pays to be skinny in caving and climbing! Played 'bone in the jazz band (only non-music student)

Still a nerd, but accepted. 5'9" 120 lbs, looked maybe 15 when I was 21! Always asked for ID when buying beer. Not much luck with girls. Hooked up with ex-wife, who believe it or not used to be really cute and nice! She was also a nerd, she claimed we were a "marriage of misfits." True.

We loved each other but she felt extremely unloved when I was away caving and climbing. Married at 23 - too young! Married for love. Divorce was not my idea.

Work:

Did engineering just long enough to realize I hated it! When Peckerhead told me,

"Peter - you show occasional flashes of brilliance, but most of the time you are just plain dumb!"

it was a life-changing quote!

Now:

Self-employed Chartered Life Underwriter and financial advisor since 1986. Used to make big bucks, but had to give it first to the tax man, and second to the bitch for child support - I'm double taxed! Began getting lazy, more caving and climbing, less work.

I usually stay up late, sleep in, work as little as possible, spend two and a half months per year climbing in Yosemite (itinerant "local") and probably six or eight trips down to Kentucky caving. Still asked for ID when buying beer at least three times in 2001! (Remember the "young-looking" bit? Now a huge advantage!) Try to get in a couple week canoe trip in remote northern Ontario.

Bored with job. Suffering mid-life crisis. Pretend I'm crusty when I'm really a pretty nice guy. Can't wait to go caving in a few weeks! Planning next solo of El Cap. Refuse to train for either. Working on a couple quilts. Not quite as skinny as I used to be, and definitely not as skinny as when I come down off a wall.

Girls:

I am no longer a nerd!

Some chicks dig guys my age who look ten years younger! Some chicks "get it". Believe me when I say I'm making up for lost time! Girls don't jump on me in bars, but those few who go for me seem to go for me big time.

What a change from high school and university!

I am immensely enjoying my Post Divorce Rennaissance.

I have had two long term relationships since, but so far have eluded recapture!

I'm different. I'm happy.

I am Dr. Piton

and "Plain vanilla" I ain't.

Partner missedyno

Feb 14, 2002, 3:08 AM
Post #42 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry for skimming your post, ptpp, i'm at work and taking a quick break to post about me me me.

i'm a nerd and proud of it! now at least i get paid to be nerdy. i'm currently in tech support for a large law firm. people call when their computers don't work, and i talk them through the solutions and try to make them feel not like the idiot they are.

i'm a loner as well and i'd have to agree that i've seen alot of fellow techies as climbers.

(i'm back to work now)

bulldog

Feb 14, 2002, 3:32 AM
Post #43 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an Emergency and Critical Care Veterinarian at a referral hospital.

Best part about my job is that I work 1 week on (1 very long week), then 1 week off. And since my climbing partner is my head technician, I always get to go climbing during weekdays when nobody is around.

Bulldog

maculated

Feb 14, 2002, 3:32 AM
Post #44 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a former Animal science major turned English major with a theatre minor I'm not going to finish at Cal Poly.

I used to have three jobs - grader for the English deparment (still do that one), assistant for a Nike ACG sales rep (don't do that one anymore, but I look like I'm sponsored now because I fit into all the sample clothing), and columnist for the New Times (a local alternative paper here).

That's on top of a bunch of other volunteer positions and sports - but here's my point:

I may or may not be a nerd (most of my friends are male, single, engineering majors and I really know my computer stuff), but I'm not a geek.

A geek, you see, is someone who is so into one thing that they leave everything else in the dust. My friends say I'm a dog geek and now an 'outdoor geek' but you can't be both.

Soooooooooooo, if you're hard core into climbing and live, breathe, and eat for it - you're a geek. That's with a full "Maculated" stamp of approval.

I'm out.

arete2

Feb 14, 2002, 3:54 AM
Post #45 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a College student, and College football player, how I find time to climb I have no Idea.
Arete

atg200

Feb 14, 2002, 4:20 AM
Post #46 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hard to believe you are a loner crazylikeafawkes - you seemed to be friends with everyone i saw i toronto!

cheapholds

Feb 14, 2002, 5:15 AM
Post #47 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

make climbing holds, design and build climbing wall. yeah it sucks...

mountainhardon

Feb 14, 2002, 5:35 AM
Post #48 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I drive a short bus for the Montello county School district- one of the longest rural bus routes in the nation. I have to get up at 2:30 in the morning to start picking up special passengers to drive them to Elko, 100 miles away. I wouldn't trade that job for anything.

atg200

Feb 14, 2002, 6:03 AM
Post #49 of 125 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

god, you have to drive to elko every day? it was bad enough commuting to carlin from elko for two weeks. beautiful place when it snows though.

every climb that tower along I80 near the tunnel between Elko and Carlin?

maculated

Feb 14, 2002, 6:09 AM
Post #50 of 125 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountain, at least you drive the short bus.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook