RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

biff

Oct 8, 2003, 2:18 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Biff - Oct 6
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Allright .. I know it is posed .. but I didn't have any self portraits, so I took my home made bouldering pad and shot.

http://www.biffard.com/...ue/IMG_3457_blue.JPG

Partner philbox

Oct 8, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Re: Biff - Oct 6 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmm, dunno if I`m game to critique this pic, I reckon that the ladies will be best qualified to comment.

biff

Oct 8, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just throwing a different sort of shot in the mix. Probing the depths of this circle.

Now, If I had the same shot .. but of some hot female .. what would you say?
My guess is someting like: How much does it cost to print a 24x36" poster? ;)

Partner philbox

Oct 8, 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just throwing a different sort of shot in the mix. Probing the depths of this circle.

Now, If I had the same shot .. but of some hot female .. what would you say?
My guess is someting like: How much does it cost to print a 24x36" poster? ;)

You`re right of course Biff, I`ll give it a go.

I really do like this photo. I particularly like that it is b&w rather than colour. I think you have captured the emotion that you have described in the title of the pic and having a tight focus on the subject enhances the emotion. The lonely chalkbag sitting out there begging to be placed on your hip for the contemplated bouldering session is a great tool for adding to the raw emotion that the pic engenders for me.

Note to all that the title to this pic is in the new photo section of the site and is called "A self portrait, wishing I had more holds on my wall".

All in all, I`m thinking that this is a great composition.

I aint saying nuthin about yer bod mate, I`ll leave that fer the chicks eh. Just thought I`d throw this last comment in so that your probing of the depths doesn`t get too deep. :wink:

climbsomething

Oct 9, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice mood, angle, composition, although I'd also like to see your entire head. It works (as a climbing-related photo and a general portrait) cos it's very simple- the chalkbag is the only indicator that this is climbing related. Didn't I see this in "new photos" mirrored though?

Surely you can work your "studly developer type" title into the pic's title or description?! heh

biff

Oct 9, 2003, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes .. I mirrored it for the profile, I put it on my web page and it just looked better looking left since it was aligned right.
The version I submitted to the site is lower, just for my profile .. I thought it made me look cool (and I think that is prety darn hard).

As far as Croping goes .. I agree that the head would have been nice. It is too bad the yellow in my climbing shoes doesn't come through.. Maybe I'll try some channel mixing.

here we go.

http://www.biffard.com/.../IMG_3457_blue_2.JPG

climbsomething

Oct 9, 2003, 2:07 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first one in this thread is better... the second one, where we can see your shoe, does some freaky evil shizz to your eyes. Makes em look reptilian.

biff

Oct 9, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The first one in this thread is better... the second one, where we can see your shoe, does some freaky evil shizz to your eyes. Makes em look reptilian.

I wondered if anyone would be looking at the eyes .. I changed it back.

Partner philbox

Oct 9, 2003, 2:40 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`m not particularly concerned with the head crop thing, if anything I reckon that leaving it just the way it is is good. I like its tight composition which reflects the contemplative mood that the subject shows. Put too much more around the subject and you would lose the intimacy of sharing the moment with the subject.

I`m also not concerned with the sharpness or lack thereof which I don`t think is a valid criticism anyway as this shot is one that is showing emotion and not every glistening bead of sweat. I am caught up with and completely absorbed with the emotion of what the picture is trying to share.

There is enough information revealed in this image without needing to add any more. This is the crux of art for me. Tell me what I need to know and be economical and efficient about it. This pic does all of this to my eye.

climbsomething

Oct 9, 2003, 2:56 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I wondered if anyone would be looking at the eyes .. I changed it back.
Schweet. Good fix.

Partner coldclimb

Oct 9, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I need to try that... :lol: :lol:

Another vote for looks cool except the cropping. I also can't tell really what you're sitting on, so the only thing that relates it to climbing for me is the chalkbag. If I could see the whole pad, it would be more like you're sitting there trying to work out the moves in your head. Love the shadow and greyscale effect. I've used that before, and it always seems to be really cool. The angle and lighting are just right too. Nicely done.

melekzek

Oct 14, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice....
I like the lighting, and will agree w/ tight framing, it looks like you are squezeed into a box. It is too bad that climbing gadgets get lost, maybe you should try w/ some other shoe.
In reply to:
The lonely chalkbag sitting out there
LOL, this is sooo funny
Again the same comment like the shoe, maybe a lighter color will make it more visible. But there is a danger of making it too visible. You could also put some faint backlight falling only to the chalkback, creating a contour halo and seperating from the mat.
You might also consider to spill a little chalk on the ground, making it more clear that it is a chalkbag. It might end up being to white and disturb the composition though
note2self: start ab workout

krillen

Oct 17, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heh heh heh

I'm not sure about the shoe personally, so I'll leave it alone.

I dont' mind the tight crop, esp. with the tilted composition. Personally this looks more like a fine art/fashion photo than a climbing photo, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I like the chalkbag too, it give the seating a sense of purpose. With it there you have a feeling of what he's looking at. Without it he's just some half nekked dude staring into sapce.

This is a great photo, congrats Biff.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook