RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner philbox

Oct 13, 2003, 5:36 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Chalk cloud critique please.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=15434

Lee Skidmore resting on the jug at the top of his just sent grit project at Redcliffs in the Helidon Hills, South East Queensland, Oz.

Go to it lads and lasses, give me a flogging.

biff

Oct 13, 2003, 8:10 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chalk cloud critique please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it is cool how his chalkbag looks like it is on fire. neat effect.

One things is that the shot might be a little overexposed, a quicker shutter speed might have sharpened the hand movement a bit, but it might have cut down on the chalk effect aswell.

It might be nice if the climber were looking up, so we could see the look of satisfaction, or pain, on his face.

The last peice of gear would be nice to have in the composition aswell, to get an idea of the protection on the route. But the downside is that the focus on the climber/chalk could be lost.

Partner philbox

Oct 13, 2003, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The last piece of gear was well down and far out of sight as this is a grit route meaning that gear is quite sparse at best. In about ten metres there is one piece of gear, fortunately below that for another ten metres there is heaps of bomber gear.

The over exposed could be a function of the backlit nature of the shot. I kinda don`t mind the hand movement as everyone who climbs would take it as the climber shaking out after dipping in for a chalkup. I too would have liked more of his face in the shot.

jut

Oct 13, 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no business offering a critique, so take it for what it is - but my take on being able to see someone's face is this:

If the photo is more of a person and landscape scenery shot with action, no worries about not seeing the face. However, if the photo is a close up of someone (I would call your shot a close up - close up for a climbing shot) and they are the center of attention, then you need to get the face. But, and like someone said to me in another forum when I was asking a newbie question, rules are made to be broken - my photos clearly don't always adhere to this thinking.

Partner philbox

Oct 14, 2003, 12:48 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So jut would you call this pic a close up.

Partner coldclimb

Oct 15, 2003, 3:43 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd second the need to see the face. It always makes pics better. Can't think of anything else though...

melekzek

Oct 15, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would agree w/ biff that it might be a little overexposed. The backlighting on the chalk seperates the climber from the background, it is really excellent. The face is a problem as other people has already mentioned. I would use a little larger frame, it is somewhat too tight, if you show some more space from the bottom part, it will relax the tightness. You can include the last piece, but I think showing the rope dangling down into nothing -rebuffant style- will look really cool....

krillen

Oct 17, 2003, 9:11 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The chalk cloud effect is interesting, but it's too much (and backlit). It looks like he burned his hand and is shaking it cool. Sorry man, that's my 1st impression.

Good use of colour, nice helmet.

The eyes, I agree, it'd be nice to see them, you've hinted at them in this pic, which makes it worse then not seeing them at all.

If you had been higher up, could you have show the distance between gear easier? Just a thought.

Off topic -could he put a piece where his foot is? ;)

Good focusing Phil (I'm obsessed...I know ;) )

Partner philbox

Oct 17, 2003, 9:24 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Off topic -could he put a piece where his foot is?

No he could not put a piece where his foot is, there`s just nothing there.You should see the first bit of pro on this grit section of this climb. You have to take a stick up so that you can poke a long runner through a deep keyhole. Way bomber piece and then the only other opportunity for pro is halfway up where a couple of small Aliens go in and then it is a blast for the jugs way up. It`s a great arete climb that has all the hallmarks of British grit climbing.

We`ve left some of these bold climbs on this cliff. We`ve developed pretty much every climb on this cliff and during the development we looked at some of the climbs and decided that a couple of really outrageous bold runout climbs would be awesome.

I do apreciate all the comments so far and am taking them all in and hope to become a better photog out of this forum.

akornylak

Oct 22, 2003, 9:45 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi. I dont think this image is overexposed.

Second, the light looks a bit unnatural. was this taken with a flash? any post-process?

A

Partner philbox

Oct 23, 2003, 2:05 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=19257

Her is the original pic sans post processing except for resizing. I don`t usually use a flash and I certainly did not use a flash for this pic, not that there is anything wrong with using a flash. I may have adjusted the colour of the pic and reduced the contrast to mitigate the effect of the backlighting. Good pick up.

martenb

Nov 11, 2003, 1:03 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a picture of chalk whizzing up from the climbers hands, it needs the background to be out of focus, focusing on the subject, and be shot on a wider lens, showing the great height at which the climber is precariously placed. These shots are incredibly hard to do.

cryder

Nov 11, 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The previous mention of hieght being a factor is dead on. Height, and conveying it, is what lends climbing a distinct intensity. This one feels a bit flat in terms of depth, but it is intimate... so they balance out. I think a few post prod filters would dress up the color nicely... maybe a gradient map or two and actually lowering the current saturation, or at least the addressing the red levels. I think the dust takes nice advantage of an otherwise tough lighting situation.

extra_finger_hold

Nov 12, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice shot as far as composition...although the lighting is a bit plain...it looks like evaluative metering...It might be interesting to take a spot reading off the trees in the bkg...the climber would be shilouetted a bit, and the chalk and the white helmet catching the highlights would pop out and the red shirt would be a bit more saturated... you could still do it under levels in photoshop... peace

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook