Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

veep23

Oct 24, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #51 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vertical Limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
finding the technical flaws in that movie can make a great drinking game. also, in the Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood-a great drinking game can be made of taking a drink anytime there is a situation that could be considered politically incorrect. good times

If I played that drinking game with anything other than Utah beer, I would be puking by the end of the opening credits!

on_sight_man

Oct 24, 2003, 4:56 AM
Post #52 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The crag exists... but if you watch it close, you will see a bolted on plastic hold. WEAK! Also... according to a local mtn bike guide author; those shots of Ed and his wife biking real fast next to the cliff in Moab were actually two locals hired as stuntmen. WEAK!

I saw the IMAX movie and you don't have to even look close. The hold is like twelve feet tall! I couldn't understand that at all, I mean, it's a documentary for chrissake.

The biking I think it's called masabak (?) I did it, it's long but not that hard nor is it really exposed. Yes, it's weak, especially for people who are going to do Everest.

strongbad

Oct 24, 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #53 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that IMAX movie was filmed the same time Jon K. was up there... That was a good book though, Into Thin Air.

I hear that guy, i think he was a surgeon, who lost his hand wrote a book too, and it told a completely different story than Thin Air... Which is weird cause they were in the same expedition team... Oh well to each his own I guess.

vertical_reality

Oct 24, 2003, 12:24 PM
Post #54 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In the Everest IMAX movie, the scene where is talks about the Spanish female climber, it shows her climbing some seaside face but if you look closely, all the holds are plastic.

Sorry but no, that seaside face really exist, is on Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, Mexico

I suggest you watch the movie.

rokshoxbkr19

Oct 24, 2003, 12:41 PM
Post #55 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe not all of Eiger was filmed in Zion, but I know that atleast some of it was, and some of the climbing was done in numerous places throughout the park, but most notabley on Cerberus Wall. PM Dissted for more info.

kimmyt

Oct 24, 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #56 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, 'Into Thin Air' is not a true account. Jon Krakauer wasn't even there, but the fact is no one really knows what happened, due to everyone left in the party having different stories. Jon K. kinda just took some of what the people had said and made a fiction out of it. I studied it in a creative writing class I took once. Pretty neat, what he did. Lots of people in the party got pretty mad at the book, but their stories all differed anyway.

He wrote another book, anyone read it? I don't remember the name...it's about this kid that just disappeared from his home and apparently months later was found frozen to death in Alaska. He creates a story of what happened in between those two dates that caused the kid to die. At least I think he wrote it...I don't remember what it's called.

K.

jay-who
Deleted

Oct 24, 2003, 12:47 PM
Post #57 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that IMAX movie was filmed the same time Jon K. was up there... That was a good book though, Into Thin Air.
They made a movie of 'Into Thin Air'. It was awful...

In reply to:
hear that guy, i think he was a surgeon, who lost his hand wrote a book too, and it told a completely different story than Thin Air... Which is weird cause they were in the same expedition team... Oh well to each his own I guess

That book is 'Left for Dead' by Beck Weathers. It's a pretty good read...A different view point than 'Into Thin Air'

tendertendons

Oct 24, 2003, 2:12 PM
Post #58 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The movie with the Spanish chick is Everest and the chicks name is Areceli Segara.
My question is this,if she is such a sh1t hot climber how come you never hear about her anymore? How come I've never heard of her before the everest movie? One more thing, she is a HOTTIE!

I think her name is spelt Araceli Segarra and she does have her own promotional site at www.aracelisegarra.com if you want to check up on her and what she's doing. I think her regular climbing partner is Hector Ponce de Leon (from Mexico) and they've attempted K2 (with her as the leader) several times to no avail.
She was a spelunker, turned climber, turned alpinist.
The hottest thing about her are those bewitching eyes. :twisted:

overlord

Oct 24, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #59 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this movie ios dumb. i wathed it on tv and could barely make it through the intro (grand canyon B.S.).

dynoguy

Oct 24, 2003, 2:38 PM
Post #60 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say if you want to be entertained with real climbing, go climbing. Its the same with Lord of the Rings fans (me). I started getting so pissed at that damn movie, very inaccurate. But then I said its just a movie, let go and try to enjoy.

kirot

Oct 24, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #61 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember when I watched Mission Impossible. When Tom Cruise slipped on that slab for like a couple of feet, how did he manage to grab a handhold on the roof/overhanging section? I replayed the scene a lot of times and find it quite disturbing. Also, is placing a cam and swinging violently, breaking your freaking finger possible on 3000 ft as seen in Vertical Limit?

strongbad

Oct 24, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #62 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, 'Into Thin Air' is not a true account. Jon Krakauer wasn't even there, but the fact is no one really knows what happened, due to everyone left in the party having different stories. Jon K. kinda just took some of what the people had said and made a fiction out of it. I studied it in a creative writing class I took once. Pretty neat, what he did. Lots of people in the party got pretty mad at the book, but their stories all differed anyway.

He wrote another book, anyone read it? I don't remember the name...it's about this kid that just disappeared from his home and apparently months later was found frozen to death in Alaska. He creates a story of what happened in between those two dates that caused the kid to die. At least I think he wrote it...I don't remember what it's called.

K.

thats pretty crazy... I didn't know he wasn't even there.... Well I guess thats what I assumed being it was writing in the first person. Anyways good book...

He wrote "Into the Wild" which is supposed to be very good... and he has a new one coming out, forget the name though.

kimmyt

Oct 24, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #63 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right....Into The Wild is the one about the dude in Alaska. I read an excerpt from it, pretty crazy. This guy who went to Alaska apparently had no survival skills whatsoever. He had been eating these berry things that in the end made him sh*t all his nutrients out, so he died of dehydration and starvation. Real idealistic hippy-kid. *shakes head* But nonetheless, a good read, if you're into getting entertainment out of other people's misfortune and stupidity. *grin*

K.

vertical_reality

Oct 24, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #64 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

thats pretty crazy... I didn't know he wasn't even there.... Well I guess thats what I assumed being it was writing in the first person. Anyways good book...

He wrote "Into the Wild" which is supposed to be very good... and he has a new one coming out, forget the name though.

He was actually on Everest during the storm, I think she means he was not actually near any of the major events as they took place.

The other book he has out is "Eiger Dreams".

strongbad

Oct 24, 2003, 5:35 PM
Post #65 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

He was actually on Everest during the storm, I think she means he was not actually near any of the major events as they took place.

That makes more sense... Cause I know that it was originally an article for Outside.....

jay-who
Deleted

Oct 24, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #66 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a link to a Jon Krakauer bio... http://www.cwu.edu/~geograph/krakauer.htm
Here it states that he did climb Everest in'96 as an assignment for Outside Magazine. I'm just wondering were you heard he wasn't there. Is it some kind of conspiricy?
Personally, I don't care either way...I just found it interesting. From what I remember in the book, he sure makes it sound like he was there. :?

strongbad

Oct 24, 2003, 5:45 PM
Post #67 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

He has a new one that was just published in July. Its called Under the banner of Heaven.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385509510/qid=1067017509/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3164801-4395229?v=glance&s=books

kimmyt

Oct 24, 2003, 5:54 PM
Post #68 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't remember quotes or specifics..... though it could be true that he wasn't in any of the groups that it happened too....now I'm doubting my own memory. Remember, this is all stuff I remember from a creative writing class I took 2 years ago. So if it says he was there in his autobiography, then he was. :oops: Sorry for the confuzzion. I do know, though, that he wasn't there for that Into the Wild book. That was just made up stuff. Maybe I'm getting the two confused. Again, 'pologies if I was wrong.

K.

melekzek

Oct 24, 2003, 7:04 PM
Post #69 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, jon krakauer was there... sort of... He climbed and come back to the camp on the same day. Groups and individuals all were scattered between southcol and the summit, some of them survived, and everybody has a different tale to tell. Krakauer talked to them, tried to compile into a unified story. Since everybody including jon remembers things differently and ambigious, lots of people suggested that there are errors in his telling. During the next years almost everybody survived wrote a book about it, "into thin air" by krakauer, "the climb" by boukreev, "left for dead" by weathers, "climbing high" by gammelgaard. The imax team was filming there, and contributed to the evacuation as well, so "mountain without mercy" has some chapters of it. Goran Knopp was there at the same year, his first summit try was the day before the storm, so his book "ultimate high" might contain some related info too. Also "the other side of everest" by dickinson reports from the other side of the mountain at the same storm. There are also tons of books written about the commercialization of the mountain, and trying to figure out why this many people has died at that day. There are books by breashers, hillary, messner, etc etc....

veep23

Oct 24, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #70 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krakauer wasn't "sort of" there... he WAS there! He was with one of the groups that ran into trouble. A lot of people got mad at him cause he didn't pull any punches in his crititcism of the actions that took place. However, he was pretty damn hard on himself as well. "Eiger Dreams" (his first book) is a damn good collection of short stories about climbing, mountaineering and even one about John Gill (if I remember right). It is required reading for any climber, if you ask me.

socialclimber

Oct 24, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #71 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Plan 9 from Outerspace was a B grade classic but it's got some stiff competition from Vertical Limit. That movie was filmed her in New Zealand. "K2" was actually Mt. Cook. :oops:

alwaysforward

Oct 24, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #72 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Right....Into The Wild is the one about the dude in Alaska. I read an excerpt from it, pretty crazy. This guy who went to Alaska apparently had no survival skills whatsoever. He had been eating these berry things that in the end made him sh*t all his nutrients out, so he died of dehydration and starvation. Real idealistic hippy-kid. *shakes head* But nonetheless, a good read, if you're into getting entertainment out of other people's misfortune and stupidity. *grin*

K.

Read: I didn't read the book, uneducated judgement, uneducated judgement. Uneducated judgement uneducated judgement. Judge people who, unlike me, read the book.

Please, just STFU.

micahmcguire

Oct 26, 2003, 7:04 PM
Post #73 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok alwaysforeward, so I suppose you read it? I'll reckon it made you feel very intelligent to belittle KimmyT like that, shame on you. So have you read the book? Somehow I doubt it. If you had, you'd know that KimmyT's representation of "into the wild" is fairly accurate. You'd know that Chris McCandless was a bright college kid turned stink-hippie who decided he'd rather trade life (and inevitable death) starving in a frozen, abandoned Fairbanks bus in the interior of Alaska than accept the myriad of control mechanisms used by (and perpetuated by) society.

Christopher McCandless wandered into the wilderness north of Denali National Park on a trail called the Stampede Trail. He lived out there for nearly 100 days, eating from a 10 pound bag of rice and subsisting off the land. Eventually he weakened due to malnutrition (not dehydration! that is nearly impossible in Alaska, there is so much water everywhere) and tried to return to civilization. Unfortunately, he had crossed the Teklinika River early in the season when it was low, but the summer's warmth had increased the river's usually manageable depth and speed into an uncrossable torrent that McCandless, in his weakened state, found an impassible barrier.

Not long after, he died in the back of Fairbanks Bus #142, but not after inscribing the epitaph "I have had a happy life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless all!"

So, while KimmyT's version of the story may not have been as exhaustive as mine, it sure beat the hell out of yours Alwaysforeward (goddamn hatemonger). Spout your elitist bullcrap elsewhere.

sknight

Oct 26, 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #74 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as krakauer's book attempts to convey, there is a stark polarity in the way chris mccandless' actions can be judged. people seem to either think him a hero or an idiot.

on the facts, however, i do not believe kimmyt was correct in stating he "apparently had no survival skills whatsoever". neither do i think it is a fact that he "decided he'd rather trade life (and inevitable death) starving in a frozen, abandoned Fairbanks bus in the interior of Alaska than accept the myriad of control mechanisms used by (and perpetuated by) society" as asserted by micahmcguire. i have read the book and based on the evidence krakauer presents, i believe mccandless was a very capable outdoorsman who did not choose death. it was a tragic, and not inevitable, result of his adventure.

chris mccandless walked the line, as we all do when we climb hard at our limits. he was out to test his physical and mental boundaries, and i, for one, admire his courage and strength of conviction. he was following his passion. i would think the climbing community would be able to better understand that and empathize with his actions and choices.

cjain

Oct 28, 2003, 4:35 AM
Post #75 of 81 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Was it an entertaining movie? Sure

Was there a heck of a lot of climbing mistakes? Sure

Thats the real point. If you are going to make a movie about something at least research it and get some professionals to make it real...

They did. Professionals like Ed Viesturs. The "mistakes" are not because they didn't know better, but because they are in the entertainment business, not the business of making an instructional video. When the movie came out I read an interview somewhere with someone connected with the making of it (sorry I can't be more specific then that). From what I remember, he said something along the lines of this, "Of course it's unrealistic. If it were realistic we'd be watching people veryslowly creeping up the mountain, and maybe eventually reaching the top. How interesting would that be!?"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook