RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

dredsovrn

Nov 21, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #1 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Home Wall Climbing Games
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Since it is now dark by the time I leave work, most of my climbing during the week is on the wall I built in my basement. To stave off the boredom, we play the usual games like:

Add On-You make a move to a hold, and your partner has to repeat it and add one on. You follow the sequence and continue by adding yet another.

Send Me-You start somewhere, and your partner points to the next hold you have to move to. We usually do this with any feet to uncomplicate it. My 6 year old daughter likes to point to holds 10 feet away. I will really have to work on my drop knee to reach that far.

Take Away-You put a small post it note on your chest and traverse the wall. All holds are on. As you go across, you put the post it on one of the holds. The next person follows and does the same. Eventually it gets tough.

6-Year-Old Route Setters-this requires a 6-year-old, or child of similar age. I have a tendency to quickly finish any route I set myself. Mostly because I have already worked out the sequence in my mind as I am setting it. Tear off 10-15 pieces of tape, and have a child point to the holds you are allowed to use. You usually get ridiculously easy, or unbelievebly impossible routes. I have one that I have been working on for a month now, and I can still only do the first three moves.

Any other fun home wall games out there? Let me know.

overlord

Nov 21, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #2 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Re: Home Wall Climbing Games [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i cant think of any others right now.

jansuw

Nov 21, 2003, 3:44 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow... I think you just managed to name every game that I've ever played on an indoor wall, AND added a new one. I like the 6-year-old-routesetter game, sounds awesome!

Anyways, something we used to do (on a vertical wall) was sit down and grab a big jug, little jibs for feet, and two hand dyno up to another big jug to another and another, till you were standing completely extended on the small jibs and your hands stretched up way high on a big jug, and then do the same coming down. To make it harder you'd skip a jug, or even two. I dont know if there is any point to doing this but it feels pretty cool... :D

morganicclimbing

Nov 21, 2003, 3:50 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You mentioned the most common ones I have played but there is another one called Amputee. Basically you start climbing to a designated hold as fast as you can while people throw a soft freesbee or soft ball at you. If they hit your arm for example you have to stop using it. If they hit your leg you can't use that either and so on. If you get hit in the mid section it either doesn't count or your dead. I'm not sure the exact rules so someone can correct me if I'm wrong on something but I think you get the idea. I'm looking forward to some new ideas myself. Thanks for the post.

Lance

dredsovrn

Nov 21, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #5 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You mentioned the most common ones I have played but there is another one called Amputee. Basically you start climbing to a designated hold as fast as you can while people throw a soft freesbee or soft ball at you. If they hit your arm for example you have to stop using it. If they hit your leg you can't use that either and so on. If you get hit in the mid section it either doesn't count or your dead. I'm not sure the exact rules so someone can correct me if I'm wrong on something but I think you get the idea. I'm looking forward to some new ideas myself. Thanks for the post.

Lance

LOL reading this one. Sounds like the guys I climbed with a long time ago. We used to play pinata when rappelling. Well, everyone but the repeller wanted to play. If you were on rappel from a route, someone would grab your rope and belay you about 6-8' off the ground. Then a bunch of guys would come running with sticks, yelling "pinata", and beat the repeller for a while. It was funny then anyway.

overlord

Nov 21, 2003, 4:03 PM
Post #6 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Lance

thats sounds fun. i bet everybody aimed for the head. :P

dredsovrn

Nov 21, 2003, 4:15 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Lance

thats sounds fun. i bet everybody aimed for the head. :P

If you get hit in the head, you probably have to climb without thinking. That could be a good thing. Woe to the guy who hit you in the head when it is his turn though.

overlord

Nov 21, 2003, 4:16 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, you woldnt be thinking when you threw the brick

totigers

Nov 21, 2003, 4:32 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pinata, I love that one. I'd look like a whale out of water stuck on a rope.
Made myself laugh so hard, now my co-workers want to know what is going on. haha

dredsovrn

Nov 21, 2003, 5:17 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot about this one. You can also do a mock lead, by placing some bolt hangers along the wall. I think I have 10. You have to runner/quick draw each bolt and clip a trailing rope while you traverse. All holds are on. It can be fun to try and place cams and nuts in gaps in the wall or bucket holds. Doing all your routes with your rack on adds another element as well.

Someone has to have some other ideas. I love to share, but I was hoping to pick up something new. Not that "amputee" doesn't sound like a great game after a few beers.

gat

Nov 21, 2003, 5:27 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The game we sometimes play would never be accused of overflowing w/ excietement, but...we play chess and climb at the same time. When it's not your turn you stay on the wall until it is your turn. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.

asaph

Nov 21, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I played one with my fellow rock climbing instructors over the summer... We'd have beefy pads and good spotters of course. Pick a spot on the wall and start out just standing on it there. then climb/rotate your body 360 degrees so you climbed yourself upside down and rightside up again. I always get upside down quite easily... beyond that it seems to get pretty tough.

ponyryan

Nov 21, 2003, 6:19 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our usual game on our garage wall is fall=beer. It's pretty easy to explain, but if you fall trying to send a problem then you drink a beer. Weaker climbers are quickly filtered out :).

We also put teddy bears and such on our crash pad and at certain points in a problem (usually a traversing problem) someone says bear and the climber has to reach down with one hand (feet can move, or not) and pick up a teddy bear. It's a good drill to work on hanging your skeleton.

King of the wall is always very fun, but you have to be careful. Rules are important, we had to outlaw chalk bag macing.

That's all I can think of right now.

dredsovrn

Nov 21, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #14 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
King of the wall is always very fun, but you have to be careful. Rules are important, we had to outlaw chalk bag macing.

I like this one. I will have to keep the chalk bag macing issue in mind.

schoolofrock

Nov 21, 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #15 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing Twister. Have a large wall with 4 colors (or more) and have somebody call out or spin to see where you move your feet and hands. Pre planning definitely required to win. Lots of fun though

thegogirl

Nov 23, 2003, 3:22 AM
Post #16 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other one:
once a route is set or sent, take one hold and turn it around.once that one is sent, turn another hold on same route, around......surprise.

kindasleepy

Nov 24, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been having some fun with random route setting. My wall is basically a grid. I assign the rows to numbers and the collums to letters. I then randomly draw out 4 or 6 holds that must be in the route.

Partner chugach001

Nov 25, 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #18 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's two, the first is just for kicks:

We used to name our holds (profanity and people's names) then try to create sentences. "Balls-George Bush-dickwad-eat-death-...".

Also, I have used a drill and jigsaw to create slots and cracks for pro. I have a long traverse wall and try to use as much of my rack per lap as possible - all while dragging my rope and clipping. Add in mandatory aid sections to spice things up.

Have fun and thanks for all the great ideas,
Jeff

sandbag

Nov 25, 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #19 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When we were bored of the current wall, we'd stip off all the holds, place them in a couple buckets, and start one hold at a time linking the hardest route we could manage to stay on: building the route until you cant link the moves, then the next person gets to add onto the hold just prior to you peeling off. Kinda like follow the leader, got pretty intense, great commraderie and challenging too.

hroldan

Nov 25, 2003, 1:18 AM
Post #20 of 20 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tried all of them, try this one: "only those tables..." ok, it didn't have a name, you put it...

Usually the walls are made of wood tables placed horizontally, so you likely have one row down and other up the first one. Usually two of them are enough to reach your ceilling.

We used to play climbing from side to side using only the tables from the bottom and THAT WAS HARD!!! and then if you didn't have enough, do it with the upper ones. Oviously you can use everything BUT the holds on the other tables. To me, the hardest was the bottoom ones because i'm tall and required a lot technique.

This will force you to try weird moves and lots of technique tricks that will improve your climbing.

mmm hard to explain here but give it a try...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook