"Cliques"
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

talons05

Aug 26, 2001, 3:59 AM
Post #1 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques"  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Ozarks: La_Casa_Pollo_200__Club)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am tired of dealing with uppity climbers who think that they are God's gift to rock. Several times, I have run into these geeks at Casa Pollo who have the attitude that they are the essence of Arkansas climbing, but I hear them talk (especially trash about other climbers and climbing shops) more than I see them climb. Someone needs to set out some traps, we've got some gym-rats out of control. If you disagree and think I'm full of it, then respond. If you agree, maybe you should share a similar experience. There's no excuse for antagonistic, self-righteous attitudes. That's one of my pet-peeves. Thanks.

congo

Aug 26, 2001, 2:49 PM
Post #2 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

beer, i would have waited until he removed the rope, unless the climb was a project you were working on and you were waiting a long time for the route..

talons05

Aug 26, 2001, 8:13 PM
Post #3 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It probably would have been better to ask him to remove the rope, but, yes you did have a right to that piece of rock. How dare he take it upon himself to own it. That's the attitude I'm talking about.

gator211

Oct 30, 2001, 6:38 AM
Post #4 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've encountered those people at the Pollo before too, as well as, people just like them at other gyms. Something about climbing seems to bring out an arrogance in some people. I don't think it has a place in climbing. It is such a personal sport. Big deal if you can haul your 135 lbs. carcass up a 5.12 It's just as big of an accomplishment for a 250lbs guy to climb a 5.9
I think it is all the people gathered around in a gym....trying to top the next guy. I'll stick to the real rock, and the peacefulness that comes with it.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 30, 2001, 6:47 AM
Post #5 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's real easy for kooks to think their s*it doesn't stink when they are in the confines of a microcosm. Those who see the big picture realize that.

I would have done the same thing beer did, only I would have made it a point to embarass him in front of his clients/students. However I's ask first, if he said anything other than "no problem", I would not count to 1,000.

rrrADAM

noal

Mar 1, 2002, 6:22 AM
Post #6 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Casa Pollo does have some real kookie people not to mention some real jerks...it's a nice place to climb, but I just get a real weird vibe everytime I go in there...everyone starts staring at you, and making little comments. I don't know anybody there...but when all possible (weather permitting) I'll stick to the local crags!!! F.Y.I All the guys that work at Lewis & Clark in Fayetteville, Ar...are top notch, if your ever ooking for some cool guy to go climbing with checkem' out. They're great...and they won't be given you any crap about the shoes your wearin' being inferior to the latest versions o..."STEP OFF...I LIKE MY SHOES OK!!"
Noal

jmlangford

Mar 1, 2002, 6:50 AM
Post #7 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you gator! I am 6-2, 230, and I am thrilled to drag my butt up a 5.9. I may get looked down on by some skinny dude hanging off a 5.12 but stick that arrogant dude next to me on an alpine climb in the wilderness somewhere and he's nuthin'

offwidthclimber

Mar 1, 2002, 7:26 AM
Post #8 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, 5.12 isn't crap, unless you're still an embryo. seriously now.

and beerandblood - i'd have done the same thing. and if that fu.cker talked sh/it, i'd have beaten his ass down and tied him up with his own rope.

why are there so many losers out there?

c_plante

Mar 1, 2002, 7:44 AM
Post #9 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greets to Gator from a 6'6" 250 pounder, when I watch the little guys fly up a 5.12 I look on with envy as I struggle with 5.8's (I did my first 5.9 tonight I'm so happy). We have a climbing gym in Canada called Joe Rockheads, it's mostly populated by idiots who lean so far back on their belay that they block other climbers from climbing routes. It gets me pretty riled when I see that. I don't think that my skill level has anything to do with the etiquette that I show to other climbers. I would have asked to have the rope taken down, or at the very least asked the owner if he was going to climb it any time soon.

Christian

jmlangford

Mar 1, 2002, 7:48 AM
Post #10 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Off-width...you crack me up. I tried not to get violent here but I just think I'll join you and beat that arrogant ass with his rack while you tie him up and someone else dumps his chalk bag on his face. I can't stand people who think they OWN public property!

apollodorus

Mar 1, 2002, 8:19 AM
Post #11 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhhh, the joys of being crustancient.

When I started climbing my (then) local rocks, nobody else was there. It was WAY cool to do first ascents (where did THAT ancient pin come from???) and do it with only the idea that getting up, somehow, mattered.

Later, in the Valley, I saw that when lots of good climbers (them, not me) congregate, a sort of competition/ego race naturally arose. That's part of the human spirit. Call it the Call of the Genes.

I figure that competition spurs greater achievement, and that even contrived competition serves that purpose. If certain climbers need to verbally state their superiority as a means of giving them the confidence to do greater things, then so be it. After all, trash-talking to gain an edge is common in many sports. I think it's better to rely on "Atta Boy!' from your bros, but that's not always available. Confidence and esteem is a strange animal.

gekolimit

Mar 1, 2002, 12:39 PM
Post #12 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One time at Krabi there was this real *ss Hole. HE was a local, in otherwords has done the routes a million times. He was showing off to everyone with this boulder problem. I was looking at him just like the others...it was pretty impressive. some other big buff boys tried and no one managed. When he showed it a final time he looked at me and said "This is no playground for little Kids", everyone giggled...I could have stuck a pole up his ass. Later on he even started testing me on my knowledge concerning anchors etc etc. What is wrong with these people, the guy had never been to school, thick as a doornail, thinking i was a retard...I answered all his questions to his amazement and then i just left. Afterwords later in the evening i came back to the boulder problem and thought to give it a shot as there wern't many people around. In my own privacy i flashed the route.

What makes me feel happy was that one of the climbers who was hanging around late and had experienced what happened early in the day, saw me flash the boulder problem. He came up to me and said he was more then impressed and that HE was sorry for the fact that he didn't step in when the local guy was taking the piss out of me infront of everyone.

What can i say, Yes there are *ss holes out there, but i can only be glad that i am not one of them, and that other people recognize that as well.

rck_climber

Mar 1, 2002, 2:10 PM
Post #13 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I sit here and read this, I think, "Damn, I'm lucky to be living in Colorado!!"

Maybe it's something in the water or just the third-generation hippies here, but I have never run into a bad group of climbers here. It just seems that the general attitude here in the climbing community is one of profound "mellow-ness" with a "band of brothers"-feel to it. Everytime I meet up with other climbers, it's always a good experience of knowing that we share the same love for the rock and for climbing.

I do, however, know exactly what you're talking about from doing some gym and outdoor climbing in other parts of the US.

Mick

What do you other Colorado climbers think, is it just me, or is this a real feeling here?

kman

Mar 1, 2002, 2:46 PM
Post #14 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have noticed the same thing as rck_climber, up here in B.C. Everyone seems pretty mellow. Correct me if i'm wrong.

cedk

Mar 1, 2002, 3:59 PM
Post #15 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope RCK is right.
Maybe it's a small pond big fish thing? In areas where climbers are rare the few guys who can climb the high grades think they're pretty hot. In areas like Colorado there are many good climbers and it's not uncommon to meet someone who's harder than you and won't put up with any shit.

I notice attitudes more at the gym. If it wasn't making me stronger I'd deffinately stop going to the gym.

mountainrat

Mar 1, 2002, 4:16 PM
Post #16 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, when I hear that kind of spray, I just smile and think to myself: "dude, you're as difficult to figure out as 2+2... you have INSECURITY written all over your face." Then I look again to remind myself of the kind of person I never want to become. Then sometimes I give the little moron a half a slap in the face with the bottom of my climbing shoe... "Boreal bridgework."

madscientist

Mar 1, 2002, 4:17 PM
Post #17 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the time the poeple in Colorado seem to be pretty laid back. It is hard to become arrogant out here since there are so many good climbers. You get humbled when you run into people who can climb V10 and/or 5.14 every week. Then it becomes apparent that you should just should climb for fun. Amongst the good climbers, there is also a vibe in which they want to see you succeed. There has been many times out here that someone much better than me starts cheering me on, and giving me beta, as I try to send my project. I believe this attitude contributes to making so many of the climbers around here so good.

climb512

Mar 1, 2002, 4:40 PM
Post #18 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Beer, ran into the same problem in Acadia. Not so much with guides,but with the summer kids camps. The counslers would set on the most popular routes and just leave there stuff there with nobody climbing. I had to get pissed and call a ranger to get him to remove his rig. His answer was the kids are hiking and will be back in a few hours. This happened repeatedly. If the views and climbing over the ocean werent so spectacular, the a*sholes would have ruined the climbing trip.

rocknrone

Mar 1, 2002, 5:38 PM
Post #19 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Living in Salt Lake I run across pros frequently on the crags, and at the shops, (IME and Black Diamond). They all seem to be really cool people, I find it's the pricks that just learned how to climb 5.10 that offer the most grief. Sometimes people lose sight of what it was like when they were learning to climb. Evon C. said it best "Why can't we just climb?"

Partner artm

Mar 1, 2002, 6:46 PM
Post #20 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknrone,
Actually it wasn't Yvon Chouinard who said that it was John Salathe.

[ This Message was edited by: artm on 2002-03-01 10:47 ]

shomizu

May 23, 2002, 12:31 AM
Post #21 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with some of what Loralei has posted about La Casa Pollo - some people seem to want to turn a great gym into a day time soap opera.

But that can be true anywhere you go - the majority of us here in them thar hills just hit the gym for the right reasons - to climb. We do plenty of climbing outside the gym, too, and the ones that are a problem probably just hang around the gym...

I won't even claim to be an expert or master climber whatsoever. I'm just coming back from being off the rocks for around 8 months myself. It's just sad that some peeps can't seem to enjoy climbing for its own sake.

Peace.

[ This Message was edited by: shomizu on 2002-05-22 17:32 ]

aeile

Jul 29, 2002, 7:09 AM
Post #22 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Silly lil off topic (sorta) question....

I'm a newbie.. but nobody ever lists how much its costs for how long at climbing gyms, and I plan on wither going to La Casa or Lewis & Clark next weekend. Just like to know a ballpark figure, and hey maybe somewhere yummy to eat at on my way out of town . Also do you need to bring any other gear beyond shoes and chalk? I feel silly, but this *is* part of what rc.com is for right? lil silly questions?

The cliques are gonna have to just kiss my butt, 5.7 is as far as this broad has gotten so far. They will *just* have to make fun of my happy grinning self, I need to round out my skills and all I have done so far is a lil playing on Magazine.

Thanks in advance.. my first post, but from readin what I have so far you guys seem cool.

flagstaff_climber

Jul 29, 2002, 9:54 AM
Post #23 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey aeile

I am a former Arkansan living in Flagstaff now but I will take a stab at answering some of your questions.

When you climb at a gym you will need shoes, harness (unless you are just bouldering) and chalk bag. If you own all of these then climbing for a day should run like $8 to $15.00 (depending on the gym). If you have to rent a harness and shoes (most places will spot you a chalk bag) then the price goes up in the $20-$30 range for a day. It may be cheaper in your area but I doubt it would be any higher.

If you ever find yourself wanting to climb out west I would be glad to show you around N Arizona.

Rick

kahuna3602

Jul 29, 2002, 11:22 AM
Post #24 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb512 I know exactly what you mean, it happened to me this June. I very seldom get to climb real rock and to get out to Otter Cliffs was a joy. No one about and no less than 7 ropes up. I didn't want to use their ropes and no one was there to ask so I taped mine up, pulled it through and climbed. Our group of 3 TR'd 3 different climbs and never saw anyone. Over 2 hours. Now how much do you think the camps pay the park to RENT the cliff? Yep, nothing. You know we could have scooped the whole thing and laughed all the way home if I didn't have morals.

climbingcowboy

Jul 29, 2002, 12:09 PM
Post #25 of 33 (10028 views)
Shortcut

"Cliques" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I climb at Stoney and Williamson, I run into about a 70 to 30 ratio but it seems the 30% that are assholes are the ones who look at me as weak cus I cant just send that route they just went up (although they've done 100times). But there are some cool climbers who stop and go hey bro just try your foot there and then they go back to what there working on. Or those aholes who are like your not part of my little climbing group dont talk to us WE are way better then you we climb here EVERYDAY. What happened to the hey bro wanna beer, type climbers. It seems like there are alot of cool climbers on this site cant wait to hook up with some of ya.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook