Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
EP Hooded Jacket...anybody with an opinion?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

brianthew

Nov 27, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut

EP Hooded Jacket...anybody with an opinion?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to invest in a new shell for the winter, and the EP hooded jacket seems to fit the bill...simple, fairly cheap, and I've heard good things about Wild Things gear in general. I'm going to be using it primarily as a shell for ice climbing in dry to semi-damp conditions, down to temps of about 0 degrees F. Anybody use this shell? Good? Bad? Your thoughts.

thelawgoddess

Nov 30, 2003, 12:42 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Re: EP Hooded Jacket...anybody with an opinion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ask the guys at promountainsports.com. they've been selling this jacket for awhile.

jbrd528

Dec 3, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought this jacket last year and climbed ice with it all last year. It is warm and very durable. The Epic Material is highly water resistant, and very breathable. The only complaint that I have about the jacket is that the sleves are cut a bit on the short side. I oftem found that when I was climbing steep ice the sleves would not cover all of my wrists. Other than that, great jacket.

j_magnuson

Dec 8, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brian,

I have two friends who bought the Mountain Hardware Epic Jacket and have been disappointed. Based on reputation, I'm sure the Wild Things is a better made jacket, but it's still the same fabric.

Before you buy one, check out the Patagonia Krushell. It's about the same price, the fit is extremely well tailored, it's a bit lighter (15 oz.)and you might be able to find last years model on sale (they've made some aesthetic changes). I've used one for a few months and love it. Midwest Mountaineering has them.

Josh

brianinslc

Dec 8, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm looking to invest in a new shell for the winter, and the EP hooded jacket seems to fit the bill...simple, fairly cheap, and I've heard good things about Wild Things gear in general. I'm going to be using it primarily as a shell for ice climbing in dry to semi-damp conditions, down to temps of about 0 degrees F. Anybody use this shell? Good? Bad? Your thoughts.

I have one and really like it. Lightweight, well built. I sized mine up a tad as the Wild Things jackets seem a tad snug on me for the usual size.

Only 1.8oz of primaloft, which, some folks might not find warm enough at around 0F (too light for that cold a temp, IMO). Pretty great down to around 20 to 25F. Much colder than that, and I'd step up to the Belay Parka (or an ID Dolomitti jacket).

Super as an ultralight bivy jacket, if the temps don't dive too much below freezing.

One of the best layers I've bought in years.

Brian in SLC

j_magnuson

Dec 9, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After Brianinslc weighed in with his opinion, I should clarify mine. I completely missed the part about the Wild Things EP being lined with Primaloft and was commenting more on the Epic Fabric itself (or the MH incarnation of it).

The Krushell that I reccommended is not the same thing, but is still a nice lightweight, breathable shell, and with a fleece underneath could provide similar warmth, and more versatility than a shell/insulation combo. Still, a layer of Primaloft might be nice down at the Brickyards.

Josh

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook