Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

climbsomething

Sep 24, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #26 of 56 (4623 views)
Shortcut

Re: Favorite thing about your climbing Partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbsomething pushes me to climb harder since I don't like to be outclimed by a girl. I also know I can always count on her brutal honesty. It doesn't hurt that she's cute too.
I like my climbing partner cos he gives me backhanded compliments :P :P heheh

He also has a rad pet tortoise named George. I'm just trying to get closer to the George...

oldeclimber

Sep 24, 2003, 3:33 AM
Post #27 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just can't get enough of those insults....like
Get your fat butt up there old man.
Are your hangdoggin or just taking your afternoon nap?
Are you tired already.... ya geezer?
Why are you breathing so hard?
And it goes on and on and on...........
Never ever climb with your children.....they are cruel little people.

neeshman

Sep 24, 2003, 4:34 AM
Post #28 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy crap, alot of you guys have a partner of the opposite sex. Let me be the first to declare that there is WAY to much Male in our group. But oh well.

I love the guys I climb with:

Supe - Hilarious kid, always positive about whatever he is climbing, and he is so funny when he cant stick a move or finish a climb. But that's a rare occurence. Plus he and I are at the same level. We have all the same projects. Great friend.

Moss - Umm... nevermind, he got a Girlfriend and stopped climbing... Umm.. Yeah (Can you sense my bitterness?!?! :evil: :evil: :evil: )

Brandon - Brandon is crazy when it comes to climbing, and he is always good for a laugh and going climbing in the night. He is an awesome guys to.

JJ - This kid has been given the gift of climbing by God himself, he is sooo good. He is kind of Anti-Everything though, which is not bad at all, but rather entertaining to hear what he has to say, completely blunt/honest person. Way cool kid/guy.(???)

Joe - He ditched us to go dirtbaggin till December, so he doesnt get a compliment. Jerk. JK :wink:

Me - Umm... nevermind :D :D :D

I also have a friend (girl) named Kristi (not Girlfriend). She is by far one of the coolest girls I know and she has such potential for the sport... but she doesnt ever call me back :wink: 8) :wink: .... hmmm... who knows, but I have lots of respect for a girl (anyone for that matter) that can pull down a 5.10c/d her 3rd time climbing. (Toprope)

Anyways... sorry mine is so long, but I decided that this would be a good time to pay tribute to my buds.

hooker

Sep 24, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #29 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

His crack technique.

overlord

Sep 24, 2003, 6:54 AM
Post #30 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bosty... a fun fsycho. only seen him scared once while climbing

korencek... a guiet guy who clims harder than you think its possible

planks... monkey like creature (even has gripping toes)

me... just me.

tucsonalex

Dec 15, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #31 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing partner makes me toasty ham and cheese sandwiches when I'm too poor to buy food.

Thanks Hillary! :D

grabngrip

Dec 15, 2003, 4:37 PM
Post #32 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no climbing partner.... :cry:

crankincraig

Dec 15, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #33 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Drinks the same kind of beer as me , ..... and usually buys.

wrenrunner

Dec 15, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #34 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love it when I get into the crux of a hard trad route and my partner is at the belay shaking and twitching because he's so scared. The ironic thing is that he is sitting at the belay clipped into the anchor and I'm the one that is about to take a giant fall on crappy gear!!!! :lol: :D

smellyhippie

Dec 15, 2003, 4:54 PM
Post #35 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That we both got into climbing together after having been friends for a long time. It's tying in with someone who's your best friend and you've known for a decade.
Nate

reno

Dec 15, 2003, 5:04 PM
Post #36 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a few different partners I climb with...

Geo: The veteran who's always willing to show a gumby like me a few things... And does so with a smile, a joke, and a infinate level of energy.

kcrag: Energy, attitude, and one of the first people in CO willing to introduce me to her friends.

tracyroach: Climbs harder sport routes than I do, and pushes me well. Nice balance to my better trad skills.

Heath: Bagels and coffee every time I go to pick him up for a climbing day.

Josh (R.): Took the time to show me around the various front range crags... and has amazing patience to deal with my slower style of climbing.

Flamer: First partner in Colorado... introduced me to Eldo. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

There are lots of others I've climbed with in the area... they're all great folks: atg200, amber_chk, Timstich, shorty, phaedrus, etc... I'm sure I forgot a few, and sorry 'bout that.

Partner taino

Dec 15, 2003, 5:08 PM
Post #37 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He is as paranoid as I about safety, and I never have to worry about whether or not he's paying attention on belay.

T

ford

Dec 15, 2003, 5:14 PM
Post #38 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My most frequent partner is the big sister I never had as a kid. She knows how to push my limits, without getting me killed. She also talked me into going back to school. One of her best features is... she's RELIABLE. My other partners are very cool, too. All of 'em. Life is too short to hang around with deadweights, losers, and psychologically defective people.
Also, for the record, I too have climbed with Ms. Hillary/climbsomething. she rawks. I'd climb with her again. You're great, kid! (now i done it, she's gonna brain me with a cam for that!) She ignores her Feenix friends too much, though. :wink:

---Reverend Ford---
... a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
(the bard)

robmcc

Dec 15, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #39 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm inspired to answer again. Ya see, since my last answer, my then partner became entangled in graduate school and has been off belay ever since. Poor guy. Lucky for me, we'd crossed paths with another pair of climbers who happened to climb indoors the same night we did. They joined us on a few outdoor trips and we had a great time. When my partner became unable to go, they graciously offered to let me join them. Of course, any pair of climbers letting a third join is a purely generous gesture. 2 climbers don't need a third, and in fact, it cuts down the amount of climbing they get to do. It's been one heck of a ride since then.

Michael: Michael is relentlessly positive and up for almost anything. His support was crucial in getting back on the sharp end. I feel a strong obligation to make sure everyone gets to climb when we go out, but in getting back on lead, there were days when I climbed for hours and he, or sometimes both of them, climbed for minutes after I grovelled my way up some pitifully easy lead. Having Michael at the bottom telling me that it was perfectly ok that they'd been sitting at the belay for one hell of a long time was really appreciated. I still don't agree that it was ok, but I don't doubt for a minute that he really meant it. He's also always there with me no matter how bad the weather. Heat, cold, rain, heavy thunderstorms, sleet, snow, we've been through it all, and we'll do it again. There's no one I'd rather spend a day in miserable weather with, because I know he'll still be enjoying it just as much as I am.

Diana: I don't know how to characterize this as a "thing". I don't know what to call it. I'll have to go with two. First is the perfect confidence she inspires. I had total confidence in one other belayer, and that was from years of climbing together, including him catching all but one of my lead falls. Somehow with her it's different. Visceral. I don't need proof. I know. She knows this already, but what she doesn't know (until and unless she reads this) is that it was true months before I told her about it. Given that we haven't been climbing together all that long, that means I've known almost since the beginning. Second, she's impossible to overestimate. I reluctantly admit to being a bit old fashioned now and again. When I see someone struggling, I want to help out, regardless of gender. One thing you (better) learn quickly with her is that she rarely wants help, and never really needs it. I might be able to claim more strength, or an edge in technique (but then I've been climbing longer, so I'd better...), but that woman has a will of steel that I can't hope to equal. I've learned to think of her as 100% my equal on the rocks. Any time I've strayed from that I've been proven wrong. I'll never make that mistake again.

They both get a ton of credit for putting up with me, which if they're brutally honest, they'd have to admit can occasionally be a trial. Warm and fuzzy, I'm not.

Truly outstanding people. If you asked me to list my top 10 favorite things, or even 20, I could do it as easily as those few. The only downside is knowing it can't last forever, and that I'll likely never find better partners. So I'll raise my Coke to the best I've known. Long may we climb together.

Rob

amedee

Dec 15, 2003, 6:47 PM
Post #40 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner doesn't give beta unless I ask. sometime I need to ask more that once. So nice to figure out a climb / problem on my own. That, along with a lot of the other things already mentioned.

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 15, 2003, 8:20 PM
Post #41 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead & flamer .. incredible sense of humor & a good safety check for gumbie girl.

zack (not online) .. pushes me to keep pushing my limits

tracy & kcrag .. upbeat and energetic.

camhead .. lets me take naps in the texas afternoon sun.

ubg (rarely online these days) .. pushes me beyond what i thought possible, schooled me on cracks (sniff) .. forever indebted for the lesson.

cologman ... okay, i have only climbed near him, not actually with him .. but he's an inspiration on the rock and off.

not to mention gym partners that i've met in the few weeks that i've been here .. namely, reno and shorty - both great peeps. there are countless others with whom i've climbed, but listing them would take more time than i have left in my lunch break.

kimmyt

Dec 15, 2003, 8:29 PM
Post #42 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the fact that we climb at almost exactly the same level, and she seems to know just when i need beta

the fact that we can talk about stuff other than climbing, but that we rarely choose to cause she loves it as much as i do

the fact that she is always thinking of some crazy thing for us to do next (scuba diving, ice climbing courses) and that when I think of something crazy to do, she's always up for it (attempting to ski, Appalachian Trail, trip to Europe)

the way she's afraid of heights and won't let anyone but me belay her, and when I'm lowering her for the first time when we climb she freaks out and squeals like a little girl. Heh.

mother_sheep

Dec 15, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #43 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as I'm online, oddly enough most of my regular partners don't even visit this site. But those of you who I've met and climbed with from this site, I'll continue to climb with you because of these reasons:

Geo: One of the only people I know who will willingly get up at 2:00 am to suffer with me. Always good company and good climbing when I'm with you.

Reno: Ambitious, sweetheart and positive. Plus, you're obsessed with Eldo. That gives you bonus points.

Flamer: We only climb in the gym but when you're not rushing off for a date or a hockey game, you have stamina. Makes gym sessions a bit more productive. Any friend of Torrey's is a friend of mine.

Amber: So nice to finally have a female partner! Plus, as Jamison told me, we look good together. We have good energy together and we're both ambitious. We're gonna have some fun road trips this spring/summer with the boys!

Kcrag: We've climbed beside each other a few times. Not sure if we've ever been on a rope together. We'll have to work on that. But I've seen you in action and you're strong! Plus you're a hoot to hang out with. I know we'll have good energy on the rock.

For me, that's what it's all about. Good energy and safety. If those elements are there, regardless of how hard you climb, we'll get along just fine.

alderak

Dec 15, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #44 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have two types of partners, but no one single climbing partner...

The first type is amazingly competitive and very near the same skill/strength as me... we run around climbing things at our limit and share unlimited beta, all the way down to exacty how to grip each hold, use each foot, ect... Really pushes me to improve and stick with training.

The second type is more layed back and relaxed... climbing levels don't matter, we climb things that both of us can get up and enjoy... More talk about the world goes on and less about climbing. If either of us has a project or something, the other is more than willing to try it out and belay for however long is needed.

I prefere to be in the gym with the first type and in the outdoors with the second...

chosschick

Dec 15, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #45 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deleted

baza_arrampicare

Dec 15, 2003, 8:57 PM
Post #46 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

he has this afro! and after he chalks up his hands he swipes them threw his hair. towards the end of the day he has white hair. Its great!!!

boulderqt

Dec 15, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #47 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have a climbing partner that climbs reguraly they all moved away.

Steve-Thanks for pushing me to try stuff that i wouldn't have noramlly tried, taught me most of what i know about climbing! and made sure that i stayed safe.
Nicole- willing to go climbing just because i felt like going
brendon & mike- fun to climb with always trying something new
Emily- you're awesome thanks for being willing to try everything that i climb even if it is above your current climbing level. you're learning! :lol:

climbsomething

Dec 15, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #48 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ooh, more mush! *mush mush mush*

In reply to:
My climbing partner makes me toasty ham and cheese sandwiches when I'm too poor to buy food.

Thanks Hillary! :D
Alex turns off the smoke alarm when I burn said sandwiches :oops: and my mom likes him too. She lets him sleep on her couch when we pass through her neighborhood. It's a really expensive couch, but she thinks highly enough of his hygiene capabilities that he is allowed couch access ;)

Hi Rev. Ford! I like you cos, among other reasons, you're as tall as I am! :P You're a good Feenix homie, no cam to the noggin for you- hey, whatcha doing this weekend? Alex and I are thinking of coming up for the Monk.

epic_ed is fun cos he makes Special Ed faces. You just have to be there.

flagstaff_climber lets me wear some of his wacky pants.

Kole waits till I am rigged so I can take photos of him. It's a tough assignment, ya know ;)

Kelly, Kate and Beth and I form a supergroup to gang up on the boyz. *strikes kung fu stance* fear us!!

and Jay is just beyond compare. nuff said ;)

*mush mush MUSH*

mtclmb

Dec 15, 2003, 9:31 PM
Post #49 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking up at her @#$ when I am belaying. :lol: :lol:

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 15, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #50 of 56 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Looking up at her @#$ when I am belaying. :lol: :lol:

yeah. i have a partner with a nice set of buns. it also makes for a good view when hiking up the trails. hee hee.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook