Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Spectacular Ice Cave!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jmlangford

Mar 7, 2002, 12:21 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Spectacular Ice Cave!  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just talked with my dad and got the scoop on the Fossil Mtn. ice cave pic. They might have been the first ones to actually be in that room where the photo was taken. They were ice-caving and came up against a wall of frosty snow. One of the guys started tunneling through the snow and tunnelled for about 12 feet and broke out into the room where the photo was taken. He does not know if the cave still exists as it has been 45 years since he was there. Does anyone know about this? Can you imagine being one of the guys that discovered that room? Pretty cool!

[ This Message was edited by: jmlangford on 2002-10-17 17:31 ]

phill

Aug 28, 2002, 1:01 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Spectacular Ice Cave! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They cave still exists as it is in solid rock and located far from any development.

Sorry to break it to you, but your dad might not have been the first to the see the Crystal Room. Tunneling through the frost work is something that:

(1) I personally had to do in the 1970s and

(2) Was something report to me which was done by an old climbing buddy's father, who entered the cave in the 1950s and was also a climber.

I don't know who was the first, either your fathers party or Al(?) Brown now deceased father of Derek Brown, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Maybe they even climbed together.

Fossil Mountain Ice Cave does not willing allow just anyone to see her inner beauty, for I am aware that there is many feet of solid ice (not frostwork) now sealing the Crystal Room.

[ This Message was edited by: phill on 2002-08-27 18:08 ]

jmlangford

Oct 18, 2002, 12:23 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Spectacular Ice Cave! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I clarified a few things with my dad. The first year he was in there was 1955. He went back in 1958 to take photos. He said he wasn't sure if they were the first ones in the room, but that there were no signs of people having been in the Crystal Room before.

"Sorry to break it to you, but your dad might not have been the first to the see the Crystal Room."

No sweat off my back or his.

[ This Message was edited by: jmlangford on 2002-10-17 17:28 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook