Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
corbets couloir
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stirnie

Dec 19, 2003, 1:09 AM
Post #1 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

corbets couloir  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently in search of info on the routes up at S&S and Corbets Couloir on top of the Jackson Hole Ski Area. I have heard mixed reviews about the sport climbs up there and was wondering if it is really worth giving it a shot. If anyone has some recamendations that would be great.
Thanks,
Stirnie

mesomorf

Dec 19, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #2 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Re: corbets couloir [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't remember much, since I did the S&S routes just after they were first put up, around a dozen years ago or more. They seemed fine, kinda generic.

I remember having done the Corbett's routes.

Seems worth it if you take the tram (rather than hike).

There are also routes in Laramie and in Rock Springs Bowl. Good when you get desperate for local rock.

stirnie

Dec 21, 2003, 3:28 AM
Post #3 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll check those out sometime when the snow melts. I live right across the highway from Teton Village and never tried climbing there other than Laramie and Rock Springs Bowl. I figured it could be an ok area that I can get to in less than twenty minutes. I'll just have to see when I do it.

alpinerockfiend

Dec 21, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #4 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are also routes in Laramie and in Rock Springs Bowl. Good when you get desperate for local rock.

Rock Springs buttress is developing quite nicely, with more routes of great quality going up every summer. I believe there may be a topo at the gym, and if not there will be people that know what's been happening up there recently. Tram ride highly recommended. The lower part of the hike is no fun at all. Exum Arete is a mixed bolt and gear 5(?) pitch classic.

agrauch

Dec 24, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Supposedly there's been a fair amount of development around Corbet's during the last few years. I've heard that most of the new routes are in the 5.10 - 5.11 range and that they're good.

If the routes are good, they might make a nice alternative to the Hoback/Rodeo/Blacktail scene.

mtengaio

Dec 26, 2003, 7:13 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do any of you Jackson folks know of the development going on in Darby canyon on the west side of the Tetons?

stirnie

Jan 7, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #7 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do any of you Jackson folks know of the development going on in Darby canyon on the west side of the Tetons?

I don't know at the moment but when I do I'll let ya know

Stirnie

crushingfinger

Jan 7, 2004, 9:36 AM
Post #8 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The climbing In Corbets just got a whole lot better!! I just got done adding 6 fully bolted routes in last summer. There is a nice 4 bolt 5-10A named La Chicka Granda on the upper deck on the right side off the couloir just right of A Shining Path it has grey bolts and cold shuts at the anchors. Theres a 5-10Ab just right of Sasifrace named R.U.S.'es. Right below Turbulance there is a wall we named Newtons wall the right hand climb in the dark face of newtons wall is a 5-11ab named I'ts Not A Cookie Around the corner directly below Turbulace facing the tram theres a Real fun 5-9+named I's Fruit'en Cake The bolts are Camo so lookhard.Half Way down the couloir on the left there is a real fun 5-10c name The Grand Arret . If you are feeling real adventurous give The Wistlers Lidd a try. Its to the right and around the corrner from The Ravens Roof. Theres a fixed first draw that is red. Not sure what to rate this one Im the only one to pull through the crux so far I think its around 5-12b. I have to do a one footed crack jamming bat hang. This climb ws the first bolted climb I ever put up and I love it to death check it out. There is alot of great climbs in there and I have had a hard time getting people to try it out. Please go and tell your freinds and Bring your 60 meter rope!! All this was made possible by Jim Kanzler ex Exum guide and freind for life. Thanks Jim!!! If you have any questions on climbing this area E-mail me at crushingfinger@yahoo.com :mrgreen:

piton

Jan 7, 2004, 1:45 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i droped corbets when the snow level was deeeeeeep. it's hard to believe these routes you put up don't take gear. s&S what about S&M. anything over by once is enough and twice is nice on cody peak?

crushingfinger

Jan 7, 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every thing high in rocksprings is rotten Cody is realy rotten. There are a few cracks in cobets but its a sport area for sure. The stone is Long horn dolimite mixed with Madison limestone. :roll: :wink:

triznut

Jan 7, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #11 of 11 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's worth bring a light rack to do the cracks at Corbets and S&S. Yes it's mainly a sport area with a couple of good cracks for sure. I was just their last Sept. and did some sport climbing but there was one crack their that I lead that was awsome(S&S). You will want Med-Lrg pro for it. Also there was a route that hits they arete on the S&S couloir(starts just right of the crack I mentioned. It requires a camming unit or two for the traverse out to the first bolt. It's rated easy but by far one of the best routes in the area. Hpe this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook