Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rongoodman

Dec 22, 2003, 1:28 AM
Post #26 of 30 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: Half Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My climbing partner is still chuckling about the trip we took to the Adirondacks a couple of years back when I decided to carry a light(30 F) bag and try out Twight's system--I figured I would be fine for the temperatures in the teens I expected. They were in the teens, all right, but on the wrong side of zero. I shivered all night. When relating this epic to the guys at the Mountaineer in Keene Valley the next day, the owner looked at me and asked if I could climb the things that Mark Twight has. "Of course not!" was the obvious reply. "Then why are you willing to try everything else he suggests?"

fear

Dec 22, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #27 of 30 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andy,

What was the temp rating and approx. weight of the bag you used?

Also, some folks have a ....-ahem-.... thicker layer of natural insulation that helps to keep them both warm and fed..... Never drag a competative triathelete or 5.14 sport weenie out on a subzero night....

-Fear

brutusofwyde

Dec 22, 2003, 4:36 AM
Post #28 of 30 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the half bag/parka system extensively in the Sierras in summer, and on some winter trip including Mt. Shasta. The system is definitely at the lighter side of comfort, and I wouldn't use it on a long trip. One or two nights at the most. The longest trip I took using the system was 7 days on the east face of Mt. Whitney. It was just cool enough on that trip that it snowed every afternoon. By the end of that trip I was pretty wasted, physically.

My half bag is an old pair of REI Denali down pants, circa 1973, the ones with the zippers on the inside of the legs. Converts to a half bag by zipping the legs together and cinching the bottom draw string.

This system has fallen into disuse recently, as I now prefer an ultralight full-length sleeping bag which weighs the same, is warm when wet, and has no cold spots. That said, the down pants still have a place on my expedition list when travelling to the northern latitudes.

Brutus of Wyde
Old Climbers' Home
Oakland, California

capn_morgan

Dec 22, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #29 of 30 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is a happy medium that requires independent thinking for every trip and every situation.

Independant thinking :?: :o you mean like...nah. There must be a book someplace that will tell me how to do it right.

cryder

Dec 22, 2003, 5:00 PM
Post #30 of 30 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
There is a happy medium that requires independent thinking for every trip and every situation.

Independant thinking :?: :o you mean like...nah. There must be a book someplace that will tell me how to do it right.

ok - you got me. strike the word "happy" - that is not officially referenced in any celebrity book for mountaineering... and cannot be acceptable to our happily, errr, I mean stoically, closed minds. :?

- n -

edited to remove nonsensical word combintaion of "celebrity" and "literature".

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook