Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chadnsc

Dec 23, 2003, 2:44 PM
Post #26 of 29 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Re: How much to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is definitely such a thing as climbing too much. Your body needs time to heal, especially your tendons a ligaments. Muscle will heal itself in about 1-2 days after strenuous activity (climbing). tendons and ligaments require a good 3-5 days to heal after exercise like climbing. This is especially true when you're first starting out and your tendons and ligaments aren't very strong yet. Just remember that strength gains in muscle and tendons take place during the recovery days, not during the actual climbing. So if your climbing hard every day and you're not allowing your body to heal completely you will get weaker, and possible injured. Try having at lease one day a week when you do nothing so you can totaly recover. Other than that Try climbing 3-4 times a week with an active rest day between climbing days. Active rest is just a rest from climbing, you are still working out and cross training on these days. This should help you to create a balanced workout and body, wich will only help your climbing. Good luck.

wetrocks

Dec 23, 2003, 4:54 PM
Post #27 of 29 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto what chadnsc and others have said. All I wanted to add was that I use to have some tendonitis in my elbows before I started climbing. Of course when I started climbing it made it worse........for a bit. I didn't fight through the pain or anything and irritate it more. When my elbows flared up (usually after overhanging routes) I just laid off for a bit, iced it down and tried not to piss it off.
Well after a couple of years as, I believe, my tendons grew stronger the pain slowly went away. It used to be a major concern of mine but tendonitis in my elbows hasn't bothered me now for ages.....though the 15 new screws in my left elbow are causing some discomfort (I'm MIA for a bit, but RC.com is helping to kill the time)

eduardo

Dec 23, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #28 of 29 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc is right on this. Especialy if you are climbing in the gym a lot. That can cause trouble down the road. When your muscles get stronger than you tendons, it can literly pull them off the bone (or where ever they live, I am not an anatomy guy).
Three days a week in a gym is good. Make sure that you do excersizes that work opposing muscles (push ups, and sit ups are good.) And stretch, warm up and cool down. That will help you in the long run.

daggerx

Jan 6, 2004, 6:02 AM
Post #29 of 29 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for the last 5 months I have climbed for at least 6 days a week, befour that I clibed like 7 days a week for about 3 moths. "im a guide and also man. a gym". If your new I would suggest climbing a day and take a day off, or climb hard and if u hurt take a day off.

DX

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook