Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Dec 23, 2003, 3:02 PM
Post #26 of 27 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chubby (Fat) Climbers Out There??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In answer to the question how much weight loss has helped a climbers performance I personally would be more concerned with body composition, not sheading pounds.

Well that IS an answer I agree. I think its the wrong one though.

Fat climbers shoud lose the weight. I would counsel not worrying about the composition during the weight losing phase. If you work out at all, fat will be converted to muscle. Climbing of course contributes.

No, don't worry about a 6 pack of abs or what have you. Just focus on losing the weight. Losing 50 pounds will do FAR MORE for your climbing than 6 months of body sculpting that results in no weight loss.

DMT

chadnsc

Dec 23, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #27 of 27 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chubby (Fat) Climbers Out There??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dingus,

I am sorry I wasn't more clear with my response. I was attempting to say that people trying to loose weight should not gauge their weight lose solely on what the scale says. Much like what you said by working out a person will loose body fat, but at the same time may gain muscle. The muscle that is gained through exercise such as climbing or lifting weights(to prevent injurys, not body building) may balance out with the weight loss from fat. A persons weight may remain constant, but your body composition has changed (more muscle, less fat). The inverse is also true. If you become inactive you can loose lean muscle while gaining body fat. I agree with you that if you can, climbers should try to loose body fat (it will improve your climbing) but don't just use the scale to gauge your loss of body fat.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook